IGNORED

Preachers on (secular) college campuses

IronicallyMaeve

I'm a student at a California Srtate University. We have a an area that's open for small performances, bands, speeches, etc. Every week, about 3-5 men show up and talk about Jesus. Never any women. They seem pretty fundie. I think I'm going to get one of their pamphlets and see what church they're from.

Brother Rick was a nutter that frequented my university my freshmen year. He would yell things at people walking by and was obsessed with STDs. He said that we don't just have normal STDs, we have "super gonorrhea THREE" and he had a little movement that went along with it.

I read somewhere (Patheos maybe) that college students were creating a bingo game to play when an obnoxious preacher came to visit. The squares were going to have words like whore, burn, etc. This might be fun for you and your friends to do if these preachers turn out to be jerks. :lol:

Once, when I was in college, some drama students decided to have a bit of fun with one of those fundie preachers on campus, as a couple of guys started kissing just to piss him off. Later, pictures of that appeared in the satire page of the student newspaper, with a headline saying that the preacher came out as gay after seeing that "couple."

I belong to the LGBT club, and one member suggested we get together in same-sex groups of threee and make out.

They're either first baptist or assembly of God, I think.

I think I have a preacher magnet or something. Maybe it's because they can sense I am doomed. :twisted: I can recall at least a few encounters with some preachers on campus whereas some of my college friends who studied on the same campus never even seen one. There's always this guy giving out little proverb books at the corner of the street but he's pretty harmless. He has a little sign saying ''Jesus loves you'' and he just stands there and gives everyone a free book.

I remember once, I was pretty impolite. Usually I politely say that I'm not interested. But this time, I was studying like crazy, I had headphones on, reading my notebook. It was pretty clear I didn't want to be disturbed. And then these two girls poked me on the shoulder and started asking me if I knew the Virgin Mary mother of God blahblahblah. I'm studying for my finals here! I was so pissed, they left pretty fast.

There is a faux-nice old Christian lady who hands out pamphets by our town's university every Monday. At first I thought it was sweet, but I am not at all pleased that this evangelism is considered appropriate but a Muslim, Wiccan, or atheist pamphleter would almost certainly not be allowed.

A friend of mine from the LGBT club (who is a delightful and very gay young man) is putting up signs for a gay event right in front of him.

A friend of mine from the LGBT club (who is a delightful and very gay young man) is putting up signs for a gay event right in front of him.

Is this happening right now? If so, give that guy a hug from me! He may be in for some unpleasant heckling from the preachers.

Is this happening right now? If so, give that guy a hug from me! He may be in for some unpleasant heckling from the preachers.

No, they're behaving themselves. They'd get thrown off campus of they did that. But they're definitely anti gay. But they're all like "but it's God's opinion not mine". The usual jumpsuit.

We had preacher Moses who would shout ridiculous things at people. He was pretty funny (in a terrible way) so he would really draw crowds.

There were also some guys who just sat with signs predicting our doom, but they never talked.

We used to have a guy who would carry these immense 10 foot high wall of text signs about how we were all going to hell. It was always an interesting experience because he just kept on condemning everyone and he'd call you out personally like "Hey, blonde girl in the green shirt and black pants. Yeah, you. REPENT YOUR HARLOTRY!"

To be fair, my green shirt was pretty come-and-get-it. I got a lot of mileage out of it:)

There were also more mellow public preachers who were actually hoping to win souls, and of course the elderly dudes handing out mini New Testaments. Interestingly, when I went to grad school at another state institution twenty miles down the road, we only ever got the New Testament dudes. My undergraduate institution had more of a party school reputation, so maybe they thought those kids were more hellbound.

Some days I feel like Free Jinger should start a printing ministry and hand out anti-fundamentalism pamphlets to all the nutters.

My school used to get Brother Jed-- I think he travels all over the country. His visit was a hotly anticipated spectacle on campus, and it was something of a badge of pride if he singled you out as a harlot. I always wanted a copy of his book, it looked like a fine piece of outsider art.

Ray Comfort has come to my school a few times, and last time he brought Josh Duggar, who stood on a box and did his "are you a good person" talk. Of course I didn't know about it until after I saw it on Instagram, which was highly irritating for me.

Ray Comfort has come to my school a few times, and last time he brought Josh Duggar, who stood on a box and did his "are you a good person" talk. Of course I didn't know about it until after I saw it on Instagram, which was highly irritating for me.

Someone should come up with an "Are You an Asshole?" questionnaire to respond to these folks with.

I have seen a few unknown, unnamed campus ministers, but since I lived and studied and worked in Wichita, KS for a time, Fred Phelps would occasionally show up to protest a speaker and make general comments on campus. He'd also come in even back then to protest the occasional funeral. One I remember was a newspaper editor, who I'm sure had written something unflattering about Freddie.

This makes me want to co spend time on a college campus and see if preachers go preach hellfire and damnation. I'm jealous of all you people who get street preachers and door-knockers.

Once a preacher ran up to me as I was walking to class, stuck his finger in my face, and shrieked to everyone around, "THIS GIRL IS A WHORE! SHE HAS LEFT HER FATHER'S HOME AND FUCKS EVERY MAN SHE MEETS!" Half of it was true: I'd left my father's home to move into the dorm. But I was a super straight edge virgin non-drinker with straight As who went to church every Sunday and I was so SO embarrassed at all the people who turned to look. I basically ran away crying. Poor little VodouDoll. I'd yell right back now.

Once a preacher ran up to me as I was walking to class, stuck his finger in my face, and shrieked to everyone around, "THIS GIRL IS A WHORE! SHE HAS LEFT HER FATHER'S HOME AND FUCKS EVERY MAN SHE MEETS!" Half of it was true: I'd left my father's home to move into the dorm. But I was a super straight edge virgin non-drinker with straight As who went to church every Sunday and I was so SO embarrassed at all the people who turned to look. I basically ran away crying. Poor little VodouDoll. I'd yell right back now.

Hm. I would have flashed my protection knife at him.

We have a regular guy who I refer to as "Brother Shouty", because that's his gig -- he shouts the Bible at people. He spends a few hours a day several days a week in front of one library, and I've shared a bus stop with him a few times -- he shouts at anyone running or riding a bike or whatever else and won't even engage in normal conversation.

And Brother Ross is notorious around the state -- he's on the hateful side and blatantly cruel. Brother Shouty will tell female students that Jesus wants them to respect their bodies (well, the Muslim girls get a "God does not want you to hide yourself"), but Brother Ross will just call anyone "immodest" a whore and go on about judgment.

I mostly ignore both of them.

For some reason, U of T campus tends to attract Mormon missionaries. It's pretty much a black hole of Godless heathens, so I can't imagine they have much luck, and they're only like 19. So I would start chatting with them as I walked by, just because they looked discouraged. They were so eager to win converts that they asked me if I wanted to attend their church's upcoming baptism that Thursday. About three seconds after learning my name. Are all Mormon missionaries that quick to drown you in salvation without so much as a preamble?

We had Brother Micah for several years at my campus. One particularly memorable quote: "Crack whores will go out of business because these college girls are giving it up for free." Yup. That might have been the day I mocked him to a woman there who I later realized was his wife. Oops? :lol: Another time, one of my dorm mates, a fairly devout Christian, pulled out her Bible when he started listing verses and kept saying, "Nope, nope, that's not what it says there!" A few times, people would come argue with him, but most people just ignored him.

Archived