IGNORED

Senator Sylvia Allen Suggests Mandatory Church Attendance

Toothfairy

Geez, did we drift back to puritanical colonial era New England?

A church of everyone's choice? That's nice of her...

I'm also not seeing the connection between businesses being open on Sundays and a rise in crime.

Does church mean Christian church (anything from super liberal ones with female pastors who support gay marriage to long skirt only, family integrated fundie churches that spout Gothard teachings) or can you choose any place of worship, even ones that fundies would be afraid of, like a mosque or a satanic black mass? Does homechurch count, like some fundies do? People could start their own, just for their family that involves sleeping. What about religions where instead of going into a building, they worship outside? Why Sunday? What about religions that don't see Sunday as a day of rest, like Jews and Seventh Day Adventists?

Oooh, I like the Church of Nature idea.

For foul weather Sundays, I invite anyone interested to the Church of Vintage Film and Song Parody. I'd have a ball writing the hymns. Our deities are Barbara Stanwyck, Bette Davis, Fred Astaire, Cary Grant, Alfred Hitchcock, Billy Wilder, etc., with an emphasis on anyone being featured on TCM that day.

For song parodies, our deities are Tom Lehrer, Allan Sherman, and Weird Al.

Oh, and I'm one of those people who hates getting dressed and going out unless I must, so we meet in my living room, and appropriate dress is whatever you want, including jammies.

I suggest Bible study - the Cake Bible, one of the best books I own.

I sometimes go to the 530 Saturday mass, does that count? My mom is in a convalescent facility, so if someone for church doesn't show up for the Sunday mass, she can't go. Will she get a fine? How will we know who attends church? Will role be taken like in school? Is it ok if home bound people watch on tv? Will they need a waiver? Who gets to decide what is a church? I need answers to the stupid.

Hello, my dad worked out going to Mass around his golf game.

Ha! When I was a young I went to the early service and spent the rest of the day at the beach.

The most immoral town I lived in was a town with a church for every 300 people, the stores were closed on Sunday, and people were accepted or shunned based on if they went to church. That didn't prevent a high teen pregnancy rate, a lot of hatred, even gay-beatings. Lots of vandalism, theft, even gang activity! People were both shocked and understanding because "oh, but he's a good church-boy!" And this wasn't in the south!

So tell me again how more church means more morality.

I still want to know why Allen thinks it's tyranny to not be able to wave a gun around in a public park or supermarket but thinks that the government has a vested interest in state mandated church attendance. :cray-cray: :wtf:

I already attend the church of my choice. It's the Church of Sleeping as Late as I Want and then Maybe Having Donuts. :fsm:

My mom, who's a retired pastor, talks about sleeping in on summer vacation Sundays as "going to St. Mattress by the Springs."

I'm glad I do not live in AZ (way too hot and insane laws there).

But if I HAD to attend a church on Sunday. I'll offer two (which is typically what I do on Sundays).

Morning service-- The church of St. Pillow with closing remarks by Pastor Java Caffeine.

Afternoon service-- Treadmill Baptist Church.

Does church mean Christian church (anything from super liberal ones with female pastors who support gay marriage to long skirt only, family integrated fundie churches that spout Gothard teachings) or can you choose any place of worship, even ones that fundies would be afraid of, like a mosque or a satanic black mass? Does homechurch count, like some fundies do? People could start their own, just for their family that involves sleeping. What about religions where instead of going into a building, they worship outside? Why Sunday? What about religions that don't see Sunday as a day of rest, like Jews and Seventh Day Adventists?

Or Muslims. Our holy day is Friday. I'd be glad to cover the mosque aspect for her, but it wouldn't be on a Sunday, but a Friday, and she'd have to talk to my employer that insists I work Monday to Friday about getting the day off.

So basically, she's excluded everyone that doesn't see Sunday as a day of rest, and everyone that doesn't attend a church of any sort. Quite elitist now, isn't she? (And stupid.)

Oooh, I'd attend that church. Of course, we already have a schism -- I think it should be the Universal Church of Pets, as I would like to listen to my dove coo as part of my worship, and take breaks from cuddling the beagle to give the bird some snuggling, and give him Communion (safflower seeds and water).

The International Church of Cat has daily nap services and sunbeam studies. I think that meets the Good Senator's standards, doesn't it?

I'll be attending the Church of Craft. You know, knitting, crochet, spinning, weaving, needlepoint, counted cross stitch, etc., etc. It's a hell of a lot more fun than attending the dull as dishwater Mormon three-hour block.

I'd also note that Sylvia Allen filed a bill to boost protections for county detention officers in hot water. You know, like her son. Here's more:

Allen's son-in-law, Timothy Hunt, was working as a detention officer in Navajo County jail in April 2014, when a former inmate alerted authorities to possible questionable conduct with female inmates while working nights, according to county records.

Hunt was reassigned to a desk job while an investigation was launched – a point that didn't please Supervisor Allen, who immediately texted Sheriff Clark.

"I need to talk to you about what is going on in the jail," she texted on April 29. "The commander put up a note in the control room telling EVERYONE that Tim Hunt was not allowed into the jail this was before he got to work then they made him sit out front all day not telling him why he was being investigated. He was humiliated and no one said WHY."

Hunt would soon find out why, if he didn't already know.

As part of an independent investigation into his activities, six women claimed that he made sexually suggestive remarks and gestures to female inmates and passed along cigarettes and matches to one female inmate in exchange for oral sex.

Hunt denied it, contending that his command staff was framing him and that other detention officers and inmates were lying.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/lauriero ... /24990649/

If her bill had passed, I was going to start a church-Temple of Hiking, Puppies, Waffles and Yoga. Open to anyone that wants to join no tidings required, voluntary contributions. We would meet at local coffee shop then take a nice hike with our four legged family members, then have breakfast somewhere that has a patio and let's the babies attend. Later on Sunday we would attend yoga class. Discussion at breakfast would be the book of the week or month, depending on the length. Once a month we would go a service project picking up trash on the trails, helping rebuild trails, take some children on a hike. No mandatory prayers or rules just you have to be a good person and enjoy the outdoors.

Archived