IGNORED

Does anyone care what Josh and Anna name their daughter?

JMO

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GRRRR :evil: There is really only one correct spelling of Meredith. I *hate* when people misspell (or mispronounce) it. [emoji14]ull-hair:

Technically the "correct" spelling (as in, the most authentic) is Meredydd. Maybe that would be suitably youneek (in the USA) to go along with Mackynzie without infuriating spelling purists? (Of course, it's also technically a boy's name, but never mind that...)

I actually don't think Mackynzie is that bad of an unusual spelling in the scheme of things. I've been a name nerd long enough to know how out there some people are willing to be - and with some names, what looks like a made up spelling is actually a historical variation. But to each their own. Josh and Anna were also relatively young when they had her, and their tastes for girls names may have changed since then, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see. With bated breath, I'm sure. (That last bit was facetious, in case that's not obvious!)

Ugh is the name for sure Madyson....I saw that online. What a stupid spelling. Why mess up a decent name :)

I think what pisses me off the most is that the boys get pretty ordinary names (Michael, Marcus), but the girls have to have these ~*~tryndy~*~ names that sound and look ridiculous on anyone older than 15 or so. Madison would be fine. Mackenzie is one of my favorite names. You don't need to add extraneous Y's. Though if they wanted to take their Y game to the next level and not do a trendy misspelling, they could go with Myfanwy.

Madyson would surprise me, I thought they were sticking with c/k as the second consonant in the M kids names.

Interesting!

Whatthehell girl names could they use that are left with that combo?

Macaroni

Macabre

MacIntyre

Macro

Maccabee

Mackerel

Macaw :lol:

Oh wait, there's Mikayla & Mckenna...Malika...Mikki...and Macawee, which is Sioux, Mariko (Japanese), Mariquita (Spanish), Marquesa, Monique

I wouldn't put it past them to choose a Hebrew name like Malka or Macabit. After all, they're the sort of people who sport jewish accessories on national TV even though they'd never see Jews as equal to them.

The trend of giving kids names that start with the same letter was invented by the Kardashians so they are to blame. Plus Josh wants to be the copy of his dad and have a family where everyone is the same. I hope Jill and Derrick as well as Benessa wont continue that trend.

Isn't one of the Lost Girls' middle name Makiya? I can see them going with that.

Isn't one of the Lost Girls' middle name Makiya? I can see them going with that.

Jordyn-Grace Makiya

Some kids get nice traditional names, others get the butchered. No rhyme or reason to it. Lost my heart to Baby Jordyn when Josie was born but I don't like hyphenated names like Jordyn-Grace, don't like the y substitution..meh.

Jordyn-Grace Makiya

Some kids get nice traditional names, others get the butchered. No rhyme or reason to it. Lost my heart to Baby Jordyn when Josie was born but I don't like hyphenated names like Jordyn-Grace, don't like the y substitution..meh.

Ok just went to their wiki to look up the names. Some of the older ones definitely had better names than the youngers. Even though it's not my style, Josiah Matthew really sounds good together and is a strong name. Contrast that to Josie Brooklyn, who sounds like a kid named by a 16 year old mother. Brooklyn is off to me because it's not like JB and/or M has any connection to the NYC boro.

My other criticism-- Jennifer Danielle. Very dated name. She sounds like she was born between 1975-1985 based on the name (would have been much more fitting for an older kid). And I swear I knew about a dozen Jennifer Danielles when I was growing up (I'm in my mid 30s).

Lol, I actually do care. My daughter and I were going through a list of girls's "m" names the other day and we settled on Madison or Madeline.

Ok just went to their wiki to look up the names. Some of the older ones definitely had better names than the youngers. Even though it's not my style, Josiah Matthew really sounds good together and is a strong name. Contrast that to Josie Brooklyn, who sounds like a kid named by a 16 year old mother. Brooklyn is off to me because it's not like JB and/or M has any connection to the NYC boro.

My other criticism-- Jennifer Danielle. Very dated name. She sounds like she was born between 1975-1985 based on the name (would have been much more fitting for an older kid). And I swear I knew about a dozen Jennifer Danielles when I was growing up (I'm in my mid 30s).

Jordyn and Josie were named by teenage girls - the Duggars voted on names and the older daughters rigged the vote. You can tell in the episode showing it that JimBob especially wasn't thrilled about Jordyn-Grace Makya (and I don't blame him - but I wouldn't let a bunch of adolescent girls name my baby. My kids are giving baby name suggestions now that are politely listened to then ignored).

Hey now, why shouldn't the J'slaves get a say in what their children will be named?? :P

(I am talking about Jordyn and Josie being their children here, in case that wasn't clear)

Jordyn and Josie were named by teenage girls - the Duggars voted on names and the older daughters rigged the vote. You can tell in the episode showing it that JimBob especially wasn't thrilled about Jordyn-Grace Makya (and I don't blame him - but I wouldn't let a bunch of adolescent girls name my baby. My kids are giving baby name suggestions now that are politely listened to then ignored).

I can definitely see asking older kids for suggestions and to take them with a grain of salt. On another forum, someone had a baby and her then 5 yo was saying telling everyone that "Mommy's baby will be named X." Of course that name was on their short list and ended up being the kid's name (coincidentally also my name, which is why I am not revealing it).

Did they even have a naming meeting for Josie? I don't even know if they knew she was a girl before she was born because she was so premature? Of course they took the episodes off Netflix so I can't go back to double check.

I remember one name voting episode (Jubilee?) where one of the kids (JD?) suggested Jefferson Davis. Of course a southern redneck would suggest that. I also remember some of the suggestions, and Jasmine was suggested and not even written down. A perfectly decent J name that does not sound like a train wreck and is not too close to other kids' names. I wonder what they have against names like Jasmine and Julie/Julia/Juliet.

Ugh Madyson sounds awful. I think Madison is a pretty terrible name to begin with (no offense, I've just met too many Madisons that I hate) but adding that Y looks so ridiculous.

They could go with Makenna or Michaela, though those would sound too close like their other sibling's names. (But when has that ever stopped the Duggars)

I also think the second syllable of this baby's name will be a c/k sound. Kind of makes me wonder if they realistically only want a *couple* more children rather than a dozen more, because they'll run out of reasonable names if they keep this up. :think:

But really, I'm probably giving them too much of the benefit of the doubt...

I can definitely see asking older kids for suggestions and to take them with a grain of salt. On another forum, someone had a baby and her then 5 yo was saying telling everyone that "Mommy's baby will be named X." Of course that name was on their short list and ended up being the kid's name (coincidentally also my name, which is why I am not revealing it).

Did they even have a naming meeting for Josie? I don't even know if they knew she was a girl before she was born because she was so premature? Of course they took the episodes off Netflix so I can't go back to double check.

I remember one name voting episode (Jubilee?) where one of the kids (JD?) suggested Jefferson Davis. Of course a southern redneck would suggest that. I also remember some of the suggestions, and Jasmine was suggested and not even written down. A perfectly decent J name that does not sound like a train wreck and is not too close to other kids' names. I wonder what they have against names like Jasmine and Julie/Julia/Juliet.

I'm currently expecting and my five-year-old has suggested names such as Nemo, Mickey Mouse and his own name. I'm glad that we give him zero say in the baby's name.

I don't think they showed any name meetings for Josie or Jubilee. They may have had them but they didn't broadcast them that I can recall. Jim Bob really wanted Jordyn to be Julie, which I definitely prefer to Jordyn. I think it's inevitable with 19 kids that as you go down the line you're going to start lowering your standards for names especially when you're limiting yourself to a single beginning letter.

I also think the second syllable of this baby's name will be a c/k sound. Kind of makes me wonder if they realistically only want a *couple* more children rather than a dozen more, because they'll run out of reasonable names if they keep this up. :think:

But really, I'm probably giving them too much of the benefit of the doubt...

Macrame?

Macabre?

I'm currently expecting and my five-year-old has suggested names such as Nemo, Mickey Mouse and his own name. I'm glad that we give him zero say in the baby's name.

Off topic but that reminds me of one of the San Diego Chargers (at least I think he still plays for the Chargers, I don't pay that much attention). Malcom Floyd was named by his big brother Malcolm. Apparently they told Malcolm that he could name his little brother and he did. Their dad changed the spelling slightly but I really don't know what he thought one less letter was going to do to prevent confusion.

Off topic but that reminds me of one of the San Diego Chargers (at least I think he still plays for the Chargers, I don't pay that much attention). Malcom Floyd was named by his big brother Malcolm. Apparently they told Malcolm that he could name his little brother and he did. Their dad changed the spelling slightly but I really don't know what he thought one less letter was going to do to prevent confusion.

I have to look for the story, but I remember hearing one about a woman who was expecting her first but her husband's second. Her step son pretty much hated her so as a way to make everything better she allowed the seven year old (I think?) to name his baby brother. He suggested SpongeBob Squarepants. The step mother was so terrified of offending this child that she actually named her child SpongeBob Squarepants LastName (whatever that was). His legal name. They call him Bobby.

ETA: Found it - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alex-mcco ... 53458.html

I read that article and watched the video.

The stepson didn't hate the stepmom that was never mentioned at all. The stepson is not evil, as the article says.

The child was jealous of impending arrival, so to smooth it over the father and stepmother told the kid he could name the new baby.

Totally the parent's fault, and they are idiots and terrible parents. They, especially the father as we will presume the mother is around and involved, need to be guiding the child in how to deal with the jealous feelings - not kowtowing to a 7yo.

It's very important for a child to not function as a surrogate parent, this is why we don't like the sister mom Duggars. Naming a child is the exclusive perogative of the parents and shouldn't be given over to anyone else but most especially a child.

I read that article and watched the video.

The stepson didn't hate the stepmom that was never mentioned at all. The stepson is not evil, as the article says.

The child was jealous of impending arrival, so to smooth it over the father and stepmother told the kid he could name the new baby.

Totally the parent's fault, and they are idiots and terrible parents. They, especially the father as we will presume the mother is around and involved, need to be guiding the child in how to deal with the jealous feelings - not kowtowing to a 7yo.

It's very important for a child to not function as a surrogate parent, this is why we don't like the sister mom Duggars. Naming a child is the exclusive perogative of the parents and shouldn't be given over to anyone else but most especially a child.

My initial recap was based on memory. I thought he was a bit older and it was a bit more involved, but I was incorrect. It's definitely the parents fault and absolutely ridiculous. I was just commenting on the stupidity of letting young children name their baby siblings.

My initial recap was based on memory. I thought he was a bit older and it was a bit more involved, but I was incorrect. It's definitely the parents fault and absolutely ridiculous. I was just commenting on the stupidity of letting young children name their baby siblings.

We definitely in agreement that its stupid to let young children name new babies.

Archived