IGNORED

Atlantic article on modest fashion blogging

NachosFlandersStyle

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... ol/385789/

This focuses mainly on Muslim and Orthodox Jewish bloggers. I really wish they had elaborated more on the assertion that these blogs have a big atheist audience! But I like the point that in the age of instagram, it's a lot cooler to have your own personal style than to hew too closely to current trends.

I love/hate reading fundie fashion blogs because they live in their own world where "fashion" is all about ponchos and bedazzled hats and other tacky junk that you might buy at a shop that also sells inspirational mugs. And I've said before that I roll my eyes when they assert that it's soooo hard to find modest clothing-- oh really? Where are you shopping that crew-neck shirts and knee-length skirts are such elusive items?

I wonder if the proliferation of more mainstream modest fashion blogs will change that. I know there are already some reasonably stylish fundies-- I like Bramblewood Fashion-- but I suspect that many of them will keep on frumpin', because they don't want to take cues from people outside their tiny circles, and they enjoy the persecution complex that comes with being way too holy to find attractive clothing.

Some of the Pennington Point daughters have rocked a knee-length plaid shirt dress with leggings look that would fit right in anywhere and that I personally really liked. Other times, IIRC, they have been wearing the traditional long skirt.

also, I just visited the Pennington Point facebook page and a commenter left this note: What do you think burning in hell for eternity will be like you snake oil peddling, quasi-religeous, child abuser?

Whatever I think about Lisa, I wouldn't go on her FB page and leave gratuitously ugly comments. Just not my style.

Another commenter noted: How can you file tax returns if your kids don't have Social Security numbers?

Finding decent modest clothing often depends on the trends, the season and location.

Some years, H&M and other fairly hip stores will have some trendy yet modest dresses. Other years, they don't. At times, I've struggled to find modest clothes in regular stores that didn't look like they were made for frumpy grandmothers with no shape.

I guess the difference between more mainstream modesty and fundie fashion is pants. If you believe that you must wear a long skirt at all times, then the availability of modest clothing will rise and fall with the hemlines. But pants (or leggings to go under your shorter skirt) will always be with us.

But I also believe that if you are going to declare yourself a style inspiration and post a bazillion pictures of yourself to prove it, you should be creative enough that you can find and style and outfit your way even when it's not "this season's trend."

Even the fit of pants varies from season to season - low waist vs. high, tight vs. wide leg.

Turtlenecks or shirts done up to the neck are modest - but many are also really ugly and/or heavy. The challenge is finding combinations that are both modest and fairly young, attractive and comfortable in all weather.

The Bates's managed to find a very modern, nice-looking dress to give to the daughter (carlin?) to wear to her stupid purity ring dinner. Long way from the clown costumes of the past, but I'm sure they still consider themselves good fundies and their daughters modest dresses.

Finding decent modest clothing often depends on the trends, the season and location.

Some years, H&M and other fairly hip stores will have some trendy yet modest dresses. Other years, they don't. At times, I've struggled to find modest clothes in regular stores that didn't look like they were made for frumpy grandmothers with no shape.

I struggle finding modest shirts to wear to work in all seasons but winter. I'm referring to the "shells" as my mom calls them - the shirts you were under blazers. It's really hard to find ones that aren't low-cut or gap in the front when you lean over. I work in a very conservative office and cleavage is definitely a no-no.

I struggle finding modest shirts to wear to work in all seasons but winter. I'm referring to the "shells" as my mom calls them - the shirts you were under blazers. It's really hard to find ones that aren't low-cut or gap in the front when you lean over. I work in a very conservative office and cleavage is definitely a no-no.

I swear by these: http://www.koshercasual.com/Womens-Shel ... h_cat.html

They are really lightweight, and the neckline manages to hit that sweat spot between chocking me and showing cleavage. They make sleeveless styles as well. I haven't found the equivalent at a regular store. I'm a DD and in a conservative field, and I want stuff that's comfortable and doesn't require dry cleaning.

Archived