IGNORED

AP Classes "Unpatriotic"

GeoBQn

As a history teacher in the making (still studying. currently doing my student's teaching), that kind of idea really bothers me. I’m not American, I live north of the border. So I can’t really argue on the necessity of an AP class, our system is just not the same.

But let me tell you that Canada doesn’t have a bright past either. Native peoples, Asian immigrants, Metis history, and I could go on. The approach we are taught as future history teacher is that history especially in high school, is not only to learn about facts (which are important, believe me!) but also to make students better citizens. How? By developing their critical thinking. Reading primary sources if it’s possible, debunking some myths, seeing the historical journey of minorities. Learning about the more ''negative'' parts of their history actually will make these students better Americans in the end. Because once you know how your country came to be, you can be more involved in politics, in social issues, etc. A lot of political/social issues we have nowadays can be explained by history. It’s only logical. Example: you never learned about the history of the native peoples, well then you can’t really understand their struggle or the laws surrounding reservations, etc.

Kinda curious, what were you guys taught about the war of 1812? Most Americans I meet seem convinced they won, most Canadians think we won or tied, and the historical consensus seems to be somewhere in the middle. Generally conversations about it never go anywhere and end in "Well we burned down (the White House/Toronto)", so...

Also, is it just me, or is it MORE patriotic to talk about the negative aspects of your country? At least then you have the chance to change things. As far as I can tell, people who sit back and go "Bla bla my land is great" aren't doing anything for their country at all. Go have your circle jerk, we'll be over here exercising greatness.

Ah! No need to go very far. The war of 1812 is taught differently simply within Canada. In Quebec, it’s seen has a war ''between English-speaking people''. There is maybe one mention about the Chateauguay battle and lieutenant De Salaberry and that’s it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know a lot about AP classes these days, but my niece is going to graduate high school with an Associate's Degree. I think that's pretty awesome. I wish I would have had that option! My rural school had approx 2 AP classes in my day. I earned a couple college credits in computer classes and that was about all we could do.

I live in Indiana, where the voucher system of giving tax dollars to private schools has run rampant and where our governor started a pissing match with the State Superintendent the second they were both elected. He has just stripped her completely of her right to do her job, and someone he appoints will now fill that role. People are beyond outraged. I'm hoping this is the wakeup call this red state needs to finally wake up.

I read about the superintendent and governor fight. It is interesting that these red states who scream the loudest about Obama using executve orders certainly are happy enough to use them at the state level.

Meanwhile, our pendulum still is swinging rightward.... at least twice, the state courts have found the current funding for public schools in our state are so low as to violate our state's constitution. SO, our governor (who has both house and senate behind him) is changing how judges are appointed. Oddly enough, his first judge appointee was his probably well qualified former chief counsel, who is a major homeschooling advocate and self defines as a Covenanter (apparently a variation of Reformed Prebyterian.. not the liberal let the gays marry here presbyterians) . Now, his newest appointee is oddly enough from the same religious college as the first.

I had never heard of this religious school until they mentioned the "coincidence" of two judges in a short time being from there. geneva.edu/

I have no idea what will happen, but I'm hoping the tax fiasco will dampen some of the enthusiasm, but I'm not holding my breath.

What's so crazy here is that Democrats and Republicans alike elected Superintendent Ritz, a Democrat. She has huge support in this state after what her predecessor put us through. People are not happy with the power grab. It was a really stupid move for Mike Pentz, who aspires to reside in the White House. But I'm hoping it will be good for our state in the long run, as people are seeing that these teapublicans they elected do not give a shit about their constituents' needs and wants. I'm probably being naive, but I have to have a little hope.

This is also really important. I had about 25 credits worth of AP classes by the time I came in to university. I ended up staying for the full 4 years because of my double major combined with study abroad, but had it been necessary I could have graduated at least a semester early. It really can help students save thousands of dollars, which could make some colleges more accessible for students. Or maybe that's what they don't want...

I started as a second semester sophomore and did a double major as well thanks to AP. But I was also the kid who got letters to the editor in support of flag burning protests published in the paper and refused to do the pledge. So I guess I am not the audience for these loons.

I don't think CLEP is more widely accepted than AP. I could be wrong, but I had a quick look at this about a month ago and it seemed (from like 10 minutes on google) that a lot of the more-selective schools don't take CLEP credits (although a lot also only take AP for placement and not credit).

CLEP is definitely not more widely accepted. My undergrad would let you only CLEP two courses but would take up to 3 semesters off for AP. CLEP is an entirely differently animal and certainly does not demonstrate the same things as sitting in a college level course for a year. While it is not true everywhere, of course, my AP classes were taught by PhDs in science, history and English and the AP math had an MS.

Wow, some of you took so many AP's! Very impressive! My oldest daughter took AP English, and my youngest is now in AP Calculus. These are pretty hard classes on top of all the other stuff a kid has to do to get into a good college plus make time for personal interests/hobbies. I can't imagine what it would be like to take multiple AP's.

It's a bit alarming to read here about what some states are doing with education. If these extremists have their way, fewer and fewer kids will qualify for good schools and scholarships. Universities like to see kids reaching for the harder classes, even if it means getting a B instead of an A.

OFF TOPIC -

Now for my 2 cents about ACT scores and scholarships:

My older daughter did not study for the ACT and refused to take a prep class. Her ACT score was fine, but nothing special. My youngest studied a lot for it plus took a prep course. She got a 29 which is a good score. She really wanted to get a 30, but she just couldn't quite get there. (A 29 is like getting a B+ and just barely missing an A which is so frustrating) Daughter #2's higher ACT score has made ALL the difference in getting college scholarships. If she had been able to crack 30, she would have gotten even more money. My opinion (not that anyone asked for it) is that the money and effort needed to take an ACT prep class and an AP or two is well spent.

edited for grammar

As a history teacher in the making (still studying. currently doing my student's teaching), that kind of idea really bothers me. I’m not American, I live north of the border. So I can’t really argue on the necessity of an AP class, our system is just not the same.

But let me tell you that Canada doesn’t have a bright past either. Native peoples, Asian immigrants, Metis history, and I could go on. The approach we are taught as future history teacher is that history especially in high school, is not only to learn about facts (which are important, believe me!) but also to make students better citizens. How? By developing their critical thinking. Reading primary sources if it’s possible, debunking some myths, seeing the historical journey of minorities. Learning about the more ''negative'' parts of their history actually will make these students better Americans in the end. Because once you know how your country came to be, you can be more involved in politics, in social issues, etc. A lot of political/social issues we have nowadays can be explained by history. It’s only logical. Example: you never learned about the history of the native peoples, well then you can’t really understand their struggle or the laws surrounding reservations, etc.

Ah! No need to go very far. The war of 1812 is taught differently simply within Canada. In Quebec, it’s seen has a war ''between English-speaking people''. There is maybe one mention about the Chateauguay battle and lieutenant De Salaberry and that’s it.

One of the best things I did as an undergrad was take a course in history (Ancient Israelite History). For the first time, I realized that serious study of history wasn't about memorizing dates of events. It was doing the stuff you mention. One of the key things was learning that you can't take anything as true simply because it is written somewhere. The only thing that tells you is that someone had a reason to write that thing, and you need to look at the context and motivation to determine if it is reliable or if it might be proof of something else entirely. That's the basic foundation of almost everything I do.

Archived