IGNORED

Secular Music and the Duggars

muffynbear

If you could introduce secular music to the elder Duggar girls (or even the Maxwell girls) what artists would you have them listen to? Would it be pop, rock, country?

ETA: Which J'slave do you think would like Britney? Or Lady Gaga? Or perhaps a little Elton John or Queen?

How about the Carmina Buranda, it sounds religious but has some wonderful underpinnings. However there is a beat in it, so it is probably forbidden.

Just to clarify, are they allowed to listen to secular classical music, or is that banned along with secular pop, rock etc.? And would they be allowed to listen to classical sacred music such as Faure's and Mozart's Requiems (which are absolutely sublime) even though most sacred music of this sort is Catholic/Anglican?

I can see Joy Anna liking Lady Gaga for some reason.

The first secular song I would introduce to the Duggar girls would be Independent Women by Destiny's Child.

I'd introduce them to some disco from the 70s. I listen to Stayin' Alive when I'm at the gym because it is physically impossible to listen to that and not want to move your body. They'd listen to it, start dancing, and see that they don't magically get pregnant from it.

If my boyfriend got to pick, it would be:

Tool, Foo Fighters, Slipknot, System of a Down, and Devildriver.

Ah, bleeding to my ears *sigh*

As for me:

Snoop Dogg, Ludacris, Eminem, Timbaland, Flo Rida, and Black Eyed Peas

I'm sure they would have a heart attack. Haha, not even "nike" would help them teach "self control" with those artists and bands!

Rage Against the Machine. "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!"

Ah, RATM, soundtrack to my childhood ;)

xReems, are you my long lost music soul mate? Snoop Dogg, Ludacris, and Eminem are my favorite rappers ever. And I love the Black Eyed Peas.

I would totally play I Gotta Feeling for the Duggars. You can't not smile when you hear that.

Guest Anonymous

"You Don't Own Me" by Leslie Gore.

"I Will Survive' by Gloria Gaynor (What the Duggar girls would be surviving would be asshat parents, not weasel ex-boyfriends)

I'd start the Duggars off with "One" by U2 to show them that mainstream rock and roll artists can also be Christians who send out positive messages. Coming from a large family, I think they'd relate to the "We get to carry each other" lyric.

The Hand That Feeds by Nine Inch Nails

You're keeping in step

In the line

Got your chin held high and you feel just fine

Because you do

What you're told

But inside your heart it is black and it's hollow and it's cold

Just how deep do you believe?

Will you bite the hand that feeds?

Will you chew until it bleeds?

Can you get up off your knees?

Are you brave enough to see?

Do you want to change it?

What if this whole crusade's

A charade

And behind it all there's a price to be paid

For the blood

On which we dine

Justified in the name of the holy and the divine

Just how deep do you believe?

Will you bite the hand that feeds?

Will you chew until it bleeds?

Can you get up off your knees?

Are you brave enough to see?

Do you want to change it?

So naive

I keep holding on to what I want to believe

I can see

But I keep holding on and on and on and on

Will you bite the hand that feeds you?

Will you stay down on your knees?

I'd start the Duggars off with "One" by U2 to show them that mainstream rock and roll artists can also be Christians who send out positive messages. Coming from a large family, I think they'd relate to the "We get to carry each other" lyric.

Good song pick. It would teach the Duggars.

xReems, are you my long lost music soul mate? Snoop Dogg, Ludacris, and Eminem are my favorite rappers ever. And I love the Black Eyed Peas.

I would totally play I Gotta Feeling for the Duggars. You can't not smile when you hear that.

Hahaha, yes, finally someone who appreciates rappers! My boyfriend can't stand it when I play their stuff. Then again, I do the same with his music, so we're even :p.

Hmm. I'd probably start out with the softer stuff and then gradually increase it. Because you know that if you started out with Lady Gaga they'd run screaming for the exits, but if you start with maybe a little Michael W Smith, then graduate to Casting Crowns, then some Relient K, then whatever light secular pop is out there THEN Lady gaga, they might be more open it it.

The idea is to broaden their world view not send them into culture shock.

I'd have them listen to some songs from Broadway musicals:

Defying Gravity from Wicked (I know that would blow their minds but what a great anthem)

Don't Rain on my Parade

All of U2. And then Bon Jovi and Springsteen.

Archived