IGNORED

Secular Music and the Duggars

muffynbear

As I vaguely recall (haven't watched the show in years), Michelle just said they don't listen to any "non-classical" music (including bluegrass) because the rhythms encourage "inappropriate" movements, and they don't believe in dancing of any kind. She didn't specifically list all the classical music they listen to, but I believe she did say they only listen to classical "religious" music. So I'm guessing that such pieces as "Night on Bald Mountain" or "Bolero" or the "American Suite" are not on their playlist.

Now, I don't know whether they realize some of their favorite "religious" composers were Catholics and don't care, or whether they just don't know. Maybe someone else can say.

Good song pick. It would teach the Duggars.

They'd love it until someone told them that U2 are heathen Catholics.

How about Alice in Chains' "Man in a Box?" It even evokes Jesus Christ. :mrgreen:

I'd have them listen to some songs from Broadway musicals:

Defying Gravity from Wicked (I know that would blow their minds but what a great anthem)

Don't Rain on my Parade

This.

Aside from show tunes it would be the classics for me. Bob Dylan, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, a little Joan Baez, dare I say Janis Joplin, The Doors and The Grateful Dead? One can dream.

I would make them listen to my favorite band ever: Disturbed. They have some really empowering lyrics, many about breaking free from religion / crazy family / job you hate. The lead singer was raised in an Orthodox Jewish family and his parents made him study to become a rabbi! Their songs have helped me get the courage to leave Evil Ex as well as a few jobs that I felt were not treating me right.

The infamous No mommy, don't do it again / Don't do it again / I'll be a good boy spoken part in Down with the sickness reminds me of the Pearls. :?

The Hand That Feeds by Nine Inch Nails

You're keeping in step

In the line

Got your chin held high and you feel just fine

Because you do

What you're told

But inside your heart it is black and it's hollow and it's cold

Just how deep do you believe?

Will you bite the hand that feeds?

Will you chew until it bleeds?

Can you get up off your knees?

Are you brave enough to see?

Do you want to change it?

What if this whole crusade's

A charade

And behind it all there's a price to be paid

For the blood

On which we dine

Justified in the name of the holy and the divine

Just how deep do you believe?

Will you bite the hand that feeds?

Will you chew until it bleeds?

Can you get up off your knees?

Are you brave enough to see?

Do you want to change it?

So naive

I keep holding on to what I want to believe

I can see

But I keep holding on and on and on and on

Will you bite the hand that feeds you?

Will you stay down on your knees?

brilliant!

Hmm. I'd probably start out with the softer stuff and then gradually increase it. Because you know that if you started out with Lady Gaga they'd run screaming for the exits, but if you start with maybe a little Michael W Smith, then graduate to Casting Crowns, then some Relient K, then whatever light secular pop is out there THEN Lady gaga, they might be more open it it.

The idea is to broaden their world view not send them into culture shock.

I think I'd start with something like Amy Grant. It's contemporary Christian music so it's "safe" enough where they wouldn't feel overwhelmed. I'd even throw in some Taylor Swift because her music isn't edgy in any way whatsoever THEN Katy Perry (back when she was a Christian artist) then gradually move into other secular genres of music.

The troll in me wants to introduce them to Ke$ha, but that would backfire horribly. :?

The only Ke$ha I've ever listened to is TiK ToK and honestly I don't think it would really backfire, because I think most or all of the references to things that are inappropriate in Duggarworld would go way over their heads. I mean, do you really think they know what a bottle of Jack is, for example?

Mumford and Sons because most of their songs are soft and faithy.

Brand New and Tool because both of those bands have songs that reflect the evils of religion.

And the Decemberists because they are my favorite band ever.

I'd start very slowly like others have said. Some Amy Grant, Allison Krauss (Down in River to Pray they may already know, I found it in a hymnal during a particularly long wedding one time), other religious country/pop before edging it farther and farther secular.

Been thinking more about this. Even though Gothard teaches against "rock" music and CCM I've heard one of the girls practicing a CCM song on the piano and we've seen the Bates and the Duggars with electric guitars. Bluegrass, like Rock, has a "beat" so I don't get why that's ok and rock isn't. I know Amy said they listen to "lalala" music & hymns in the car, but I wonder if the older kids are given a little leeway--maybe CCM or some country music? Gospel? After all, the Duggars have caved on tucked-in collared shirts worn with a belt and khakis--maybe they've relaxed a little on music too?

I like Babs' idea for Broadway anthems, they are meant to be emotional and moving, and the Duggar girls especially need to have something dormant awakened inside of them. I think Electricity from Billy Elliot is magnificent. Perhaps something about being "free" and "flyin like a bird" might resonate with them.

nij6ZSAiOI8

Let's see, to follow in the Broadway category, Ethel Merman's & whoever she's singing with's "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better."

"Over the Rainbow" sung by both Judy Garland and IZ

The Fugees

Wyclef Jean

QUEEN

U2

CCR

The Doobie Bros. "Listen to the Music"

Lady Gaga's "Hair," but the version she did on Howard Stern:

http://youtu.be/UWtcRL03FVo

This version gives me goosebumps.

But I don't think they'd get it. THey'd just get the not-cutting-my-hair part. :roll:

The Buena Vista Social Club

The 3 Tenors: "Nessun Dorma" just because I love the music. ;)

Billy Joel

Archived