IGNORED

Fundie Thrift Shop Find!

MamaJunebug

An absolutely brand-new copy of "So Much More" by the Botkin lassies. Hardback.

What should I do with it? :pink-shock:

PS: No, I will *not* go back to that shop anymore.* But anyone in the bistate area, I'll give them the name privately and they can check now and then for other Dougalicious castoffs.

*Staff are rude and the pickings - save for that book - are slim.

Wow. What a find. Well, as I am against book burning of any kind I guess this is better. MamaJunebug. If you read it can I send you wine, or other alcholic beverage of your choice?

We should have a book review section: I already have a few reviews up at FJ and a fair number of both paperbacked and e-books by fundies. There is even an occasional good one - but most aren't merely bad; they're...thesaurus time...abysmal.

Hmm...what's that I'm having on my toast today? MAD JELLY.

I swear, every time I go into a thrift store I keep an eye out for VF relics. I go to look at books and always hit the religion section first thing, but so far? Nada. Zilch. Bupkis.

This is what I get for living an an extremely liberal city, in the mostly-liberal part of the state. Not enough fundies (never thought I'd say that). And since the Botkins were too repressive even for the Mars Hill/Mark Driscoll-worshippers (who skewed too young to have teenaged daughters in need of SAHD indoctrination in the first place), even the Mars Hill bust-up hasn't shaken loose any copies.

You can scratch the eyes out of all the photos and circle random words thhought the text that make a really creepy sounding message and send it to them with a fan letter declaring your love for them.

We should have a book review section: I already have a few reviews up at FJ and a fair number of both paperbacked and e-books by fundies. There is even an occasional good one - but most aren't merely bad; they're...thesaurus time...abysmal.

We have this, which is not quite what you're talking about. It's the archive subforum for all the fundie book, movie and TV show threads:

viewforum.php?f=188

You can scratch the eyes out of all the photos and circle random words thhought the text that make a really creepy sounding message and send it to them with a fan letter declaring your love for them.

I like this, but I'd add in crudely drawn penises as well.

I like the idea of a book review subforum here. Especially if the original reader develops a drinking game for that particular abomination.

I love it!!!! It's like something off Pretty Little Liars, a show that the Botkin girls never get to watch.

A friend of mine once read a book she found so awful she just put it in the recycling bin. She couldn't bear the thought of even donating it to the local library to sell to some unsuspecting patron.

Thanks, all!

I'll submit a few review-like comments, not up to a full-fledged review.

And while I keep very few books, this will be one of those! Must not let evidence of the Doug Phillips-era Botkinesses be lost!

....I was so delighted by the find, i went thru ALL the shop's book & AV shelves in hopes of finding "Return of the Daughters"--no luck, but I'm-a keep looking!

Just FYI, for those who might want to purchase a copy of this Botkinette masterwork for their very own - there are (as of today) 45 hardcover copies available on alibris.com (my go-to site for all things used book). Starting at $0.99! Get 'em while they're hot!! :lol:

We have this, which is not quite what you're talking about. It's the archive subforum for all the fundie book, movie and TV show threads:

viewforum.php?f=188

Isn't there also a book review section on the FJ blog? I'm afraid I tend to forget the blog exists but we could use it for scathing reviews of Fundie publications.

Just FYI, for those who might want to purchase a copy of this Botkinette masterwork for their very own - there are (as of today) 45 hardcover copies available on alibris.com (my go-to site for all things used book). Starting at $0.99! Get 'em while they're hot!! :lol:

Thank You for introducing me to that site!

A friend of mine once read a book she found so awful she just put it in the recycling bin. She couldn't bear the thought of even donating it to the local library to sell to some unsuspecting patron.

I do this all the time with books I've purchased in thrift stores. In fact, I go looking for nasty child-rearing and dog-training books, to tear up and recycle.

I do this all the time with books I've purchased in thrift stores. In fact, I go looking for nasty child-rearing and dog-training books, to tear up and recycle.

I've seen some Duggar books at thrift stores, maybe I might buy one for the purpose of recycling it.

I like this, but I'd add in crudely drawn penises as well.

This is a disgusting idea. How could you leave out the crudely drawn vaginas? :lol:

I was going to suggest you sending it back to Botkin ladies in exactly the same shape that you found it. Perfect. Pristine. Never opened and never read. Just rotting on a shelf in a thrift store, with pearls of wisdom never to be shared with the world.

Sadly, much like the Botkin sisters themselves.

I believe I've burned two books in my life. One was anti-environmental propaganda, the other was a kids' book set in the 1800s that depicted Native Americans as savages to be feared.

I felt bad burning them, but since I heat with wood, I figured at least the books were doing something useful by providing a moment's heat...

Archived