IGNORED

TLC's new show: My Husband is Not Gay With Mormons - MERGED

defraudingjezebel

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i saw this on one of my pro-lgbtq pages i follow in fb. it's weird when my fj and fb feed start to converge.

It's the same with me. It was one of the pro-LGBTQ FB pages that lead me to that article about that anti-gay pastor in New Zealand. Some of those pages covered the PP's December antics. I also follow some atheist and agnostic pages that have mentioned the PP, Ray Comfort, Pearls, and other fundie people or topics.

With the camping trip planning scene - was that wife implying that her husband might be raped by one of the SSA guys on the trip?

And she also implied some SSA shenanigans happened at their house one night. Again, if these people are real then TLC must be paying them a shitload of $$$$ to expose their secrets on TV like this.

It's the same with me. It was one of the pro-LGBTQ FB pages that lead me to that article about that anti-gay pastor in New Zealand. Some of those pages covered the PP's December antics. I also follow some atheist and agnostic pages that have mentioned the PP, Ray Comfort, Pearls, and other fundie people or topics.

oh i was beyond delighted when a few people shared an article about pp and was like who is this guy??? i was more than happy to fill them in :D

Watching it now and it's so depressing and weird! Those men should be out and happy and the wives should be married to men who are actually attracted to them.

Oh myyyy.

"Honey, I'm going camping with the guys...guys you don't know....guys I don't really know...yeah, yeah, I remember what happened last time..."

"I get upset when people call my husband gay."

Oh myyyy.

"Honey, I'm going camping with the guys...guys you don't know....guys I don't really know...yeah, yeah, I remember what happened last time..."

"I get upset when people call my husband gay."

Am I a bad person for thinking that this is just hilarious? I mean, I know cognitively that it's very sad, but my emotional reaction can't get past the hilarity.

Am I a bad person for thinking that this is just hilarious? I mean, I know cognitively that it's very sad, but my emotional reaction can't get past the hilarity.

If you are, I'll join you. Because it is indeed hilarious, in a very cringe-worthy kind of way.

And oh my, I hope that lovely woman who was set up with the "never been kissed" SSA guy ran far away and never speaks to these fools again. Can you imagine? Who does that to someone?

Watching it now and it's so depressing and weird! Those men should be out and happy and the wives should be married to men who are actually attracted to them.

This. I don't watch the show, but it sounds like such a toxic environment for everyone involved.

The guys who have to supress their feelings all the time and act like they are sexually attracted to their wives.

The wives who have to deal with the fact that their husbands don't even really want to be married to them and just chose them cause they felt obliged because of their religion. And the poor children who suffer under the tension and struggle of their parents.

If you are, I'll join you. Because it is indeed hilarious, in a very cringe-worthy kind of way.

And oh my, I hope that lovely woman who was set up with the "never been kissed" SSA guy ran far away and never speaks to these fools again. Can you imagine? Who does that to someone?

I agree, if I were her, I wouldn't speak to any of them again for setting up that "date." I also thought those things were hilarious in a cringe-worthy way, as those wives are in deep denial about their husbands' sexuality. I think they're at least bisexual, but it's sad that gay Mormons often have to hide their true natures in order to blend in with Mormon society. It's cruel to their wives and also any children they might have as the entire marriage is a sham. I've even read somewhere that the divorce rate for those type of marriages is even higher than the average divorce rate. It's sad that those women felt that their only goal in life was to marry another Mormon, even if he's really gay and managing to hide his true self.

I agree, if I were her, I wouldn't speak to any of them again for setting up that "date." I also thought those things were hilarious in a cringe-worthy way, as those wives are in deep denial about their husbands' sexuality. I think they're at least bisexual, but it's sad that gay Mormons often have to hide their true natures in order to blend in with Mormon society. It's cruel to their wives and also any children they might have as the entire marriage is a sham. I've even read somewhere that the divorce rate for those type of marriages is even higher than the average divorce rate. It's sad that those women felt that their only goal in life was to marry another Mormon, even if he's really gay and managing to hide his true self.

I would about kill anyone who would set me up with someone who isn't even interested in me (and most likely never really will be).

I seriously can't understand these women who got married in spite of knowing that their future husband were gay. I mean, if you realize that your boyfriend isn't really into you, why continue that relationship?

Sure, you might be really in love and he might be a really kind and fun guy, but why would you marry someone who doesn't really want to marry you?

I've watch a few videos on the internet, and those women could have found other men if they wanted to.

I really don't get why they got married to these gay guys.

I would about kill anyone who would set me up with someone who isn't even interested in me (and most likely never really will be).

I seriously can't understand these women who got married in spite of knowing that their future husband were gay. I mean, if you realize that your boyfriend isn't really into you, why continue that relationship?

Sure, you might be really in love and he might be a really kind and fun guy, but why would you marry someone who doesn't really want to marry you?

I've watch a few videos on the internet, and those women could have found other men if they wanted to.

I really don't get why they got married to these gay guys.

Because marriage is SO radically important in LDS culture. Not only will you (likely) eventually be a misfit within the community if you don't get married, but you also will not be able to reach the highest degree of glory in the afterlife. Plus, LDS women are essentially "old maids" once they hit age 25 or so-- pickings are slim at that point. They're desperate to remain relevant to their community and fulfill one of the important tenets of their religion.

It's very sad, but I've seen LDS culture pretty close up (raised in a pretty heavy LDS area), so it doesn't really surprise me that women are willing to marry these men.

I don't think I could sit down and watch this. I'd either roll my eyes till they fell out or laugh till I choked.

Kind of OT but kind of not. You know how some religious conservatives will say that gay people already have the right to marry the opposite sex person of their choice? This Orthodox rabbi takes that position to its most logical conclusion by fixing up gay men with lesbians:

http://news.yahoo.com/israeli-rabbi-pai ... 04417.html

Those marriages must be incredibly awkward on so many levels, but there is probably a market for this type of service from members of the Orthodox community who can't think of any other way to shoehorn themselves into a socially acceptable marriage. :?

Kind of OT but kind of not. You know how some religious conservatives will say that gay people already have the right to marry the opposite sex person of their choice? This Orthodox rabbi takes that position to its most logical conclusion by fixing up gay men with lesbians:

http://news.yahoo.com/israeli-rabbi-pai ... 04417.html

Those marriages must be incredibly awkward on so many levels, but there is probably a market for this type of service from members of the Orthodox community who can't think of any other way to shoehorn themselves into a socially acceptable marriage. :?

You know what, obviously, I'm all against forcing gay people into straight relationships.

But, as a lesbian, if I really had no other choice than to marry a guy, I would absolutely prefer it to be a gay man. Cause with someone who would be equally unattracted to me as I would be to him, I could probably work something out.

Worst nightmare for me would be to be married to a man who would want to have regular sex with me. With a gay guy, I could deal. I wouldn't even care if he went "camping" with some guy friends, or anything like that, as long as he would leave me alone.

And I mean, just cause you don't have a sex life with each other doesn't mean you can't be good and supportive friends or even raise kids together. Such a marriage would probably work better than a marriage where one partner demands something that the other isn't able to give.

Archived