IGNORED

TLC's new show: My Husband is Not Gay With Mormons - MERGED

defraudingjezebel

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My future SIL is a lesbian. She and her partner are about as feminine as they come. I love hanging out and going shopping with them. They have excellent tastes in fashion and makeup, and we have a lot in common. Add my sister and BFF into the mix, and we're like a pack of divas.

It is sad to see people who cannot accept themselves as they are. :(

I do wonder if the LDS church encouraged this program since the last few years they have been trying harder to "market" themselves to people. I have to say that I do not have a very positive impression of Mormonism in general. The organization has not been very transparent until the availability of information on the internet forced their hand.

^^^^ is why it is important that LG have the right to marry.

And that everyone MAKES A WILL so that when you die, your stuff goes to the person you want it to. There is a pervasive belief in the UK at least that if you've lived together for two years, you are in a 'common law marriage' and that this has some legal standing. It doesn't.

And that everyone MAKES A WILL so that when you die, your stuff goes to the person you want it to. There is a pervasive belief in the UK at least that if you've lived together for two years, you are in a 'common law marriage' and that this has some legal standing. It doesn't.

and that everyone who has life insurance has appropriate beneficiaries set up! what they put in a will does NOT affect life insurance if the listed beneficiary is different. if a person wants to change who gets their insurance payout, they HAVE to update with the insurance company. otherwise, it goes to who they specified. or, if they didn't specify, depending on the policy, there is a set order it goes to. most common is spouse, children, siblings, estate. some policies throw parents in there. some policies have it go directly to the estate. if there isn't an estate, one has to be set up, which from what i understand can be a pain in the ass. if there's not enough to set up an estate, then it's another huge pain in the ass to access the funds. lots of headaches. just please put down a beneficiary you want, or change it if you want it to be changed. it's a lot less hassle in the end, when the family is grieving and just needs the funds to pay the funeral or pay bills or what not.

What did I just read??

I'll agree that sexual orientation is too firmly established to be considered a mere choice.

I'm shaking my head, though, at the idea that gays are somehow different "on a chemical level". It makes it sound like like you can just dip someone in a test tube and label them.

I thought of your other "on a different level" post when I read this, which is funny to me in this context.

Oh, you're not gay? Well, you're just not on that level yet.

I thought of your other "on a different level" post when I read this, which is funny to me in this context.

Oh, you're not gay? Well, you're just not on that level yet.

Me? Oh, lord. What did I do? Was I drunk or PMS'ing?

Me? Oh, lord. What did I do? Was I drunk or PMS'ing?

Oops, sorry. I meant 2xx1xy1JD. I didn't edit the quotes down correctly.

No worries. I typically automatically assume I did something and I am always ready to apologize!

Josh Weed and his wife sat down with a gay couple to talk about being gay and other things. I missed it on TV and it wasn't captioned online so I was unable to understand what was said. However, what others said to me about it was that the gay couple (or maybe it was just two gay men, I don't know) completely shut down Josh and his wife when they were blithering on about the gay experience and that they know what it's like for gay men. The couple told them that because Josh has never lived his life as a gay man he has no idea what it's like to be gay, and they were right in that he's never experienced the problems or issues that someone who lives life as a gay person does. Even though he came out to his wife and parents, and believes that he's gay, he's never had to experience discrimination or the hate that others put on gay people. He's only lived with his own feelings behind the outward appearance of a straight man with a family. I'm definitely not discounting how he's felt and I don't want people to think that I'm dismissing that. There's video of it still available probably on YouTube if it's not on the Vh1 site anymore.

I'm trying to stop doing that... Last night I actually caught myself apologizing for the dog peeing on the carpet, even though I had just taken her on an hour long walk around the building (which took an hour because I was constantly stopping to let her sniff and stop.)

Whenever my boss calls me in, I always say "what'd I do this time?". It's never anything but I guess it has served me as I have been there 14 years and call him Papa.

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I see the thread title I think to myself, "If he's not gay with Mormons, who is he gay with?"

Carry on.

You are right- I did a terrible job of explaining myself. I guess I just really feel that people are born gay (or on a spectrum) and it is just simply part of what they are. Your point about being out of the closet is probably right. I am having a super sensitive gay rights day (half of a gay couple with whom I have been friends for 20 years died unexpectedly last night and the surviving partner is a wreck. I have spent all day working on notifications and it drained me. Also, found out a client is being forced out of the home he shared with his partner for 17 years after said partner died because partner's hateful, homophobic family is evicting him despite the fact he paid half the mortgage. Client threatening to throw away his HIV drugs and die because he lost everything this week and likely has no legal recourse because his name was not on anything. Hateful family is trying to steal his stuff).

Note to self: do not post on emotional topics during an emotional time because what sounds like it might be a DEEP THOUGHT makes no sense. :embarrassed:

Sorry to hear that - it's all horrible!

I'm not going to give internet legal advice because it really varies from one place to another, but PLEASE encourage client to look into legal options (I can't remember if you are a lawyer yourself). Here, the claims would be under "constructive trust" or "unjust enrichment", not sure if there is something similar in your area. It's also possible that he'd be considered a tenant and therefore have some protection under landlord/tenant law.

Is anyone watching this? I didn't know it was premiering tonight(there is so much on tv tonight). I saw it trending on Twitter. Most of the tweets are negative. Someone said the Mormon Church wanted TLC to cancel it. Will it get a full season or is it just a one-time thing?

Is anyone watching this? I didn't know it was premiering tonight(there is so much on tv tonight). I saw it trending on Twitter. Most of the tweets are negative. Someone said the Mormon Church wanted TLC to cancel it. Will it get a full season or is it just a one-time thing?

I'm DVRing the show now and will watch it quickly sometime tomorrow. It seems that several episodes were filmed. Has the LDS church released an official statment? There are some Mormons that are very anti-gay and then some that aren't. I'm curious if gay Mormon blogger Mitch Mayne will comment on this show. Mitch has quite a bit of following with more liberal Mormons.

I watched. Wished I hadn't. That was an hour of my life I will never get back. Crap on TV, such is this, is the very reason I made the decision last week to give up cable for good.

David Waller would have fit in perfectly with this group.

Are we even sure these are real people and not some fictionalized community like that awful Amish Mafia show? I have my doubts that any of this is real. Too much just seemed so perfectly scripted, from the couple in the mansion with the man wanting to go 'camping' with his SSA friends, to the guys clothes shopping and just happening to stumble upon their gay friends, to the giddy willingness to talk about all the hot guys they encounter. I just find it hard to believe that there are that many guys in that one MORMON community who are married and identify as SSA and both they and their wives are willing to publicly out themselves and their families as such. Either they are fake, or TLC is paying them a shit load of money.

It seems the parties featured in this show may not be what they present themselves to be... Color me shocked that at least two of them are from an "ex-gay therapy" organization.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2036479-155/story.html

I was also astonished to see a disclaimer at the beginning of the show and halfway through. It seems TLC must be worried about blowback.

It seems the parties featured in this show may not be what they present themselves to be... Color me shocked that at least two of them are from an "ex-gay therapy" organization.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2036479-155/story.html

I was also astonished to see a disclaimer at the beginning of the show and halfway through. It seems TLC must be worried about blowback.

i saw this on one of my pro-lgbtq pages i follow in fb. it's weird when my fj and fb feed start to converge.

Archived