IGNORED

Pecan and Priscilla's "Em-brace"

sophrosyne

I got braces about 2 years ago...my teeth looked ok, but there's more to it. My teeth didn't meet correctly in back causing some jaw problems. I was not a candidate for invisalign, they are not the cure-all for adults. Depending on what's happening, traditional braces are best.

My braces were 4500.00 total. That was the initial x-rays and impressions, treatment plans, monthly visits including wire, ligature and band changes, removal, x-rays, impressions and retainers. Insurance paid about half of it. It's been worth EVERY PENNY of it...I no longer have issues with my jaws.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just imagine those two crazy kids puckering their lips in the darkness for some sweet fellowship...and getting stuck together. :romance-kisslips:

Gustava, it's orthodontia. Only saying so because of the question mark.

Braces are expensive. I wish I could afford them. I think orthodontists rip you off. When I last checked into them, I was told it's $4,000 for braces, and the cost per month depends on the estimated time it'll take. Since it was estimated at 8 months for me, that was $500 a month. You can't convince me that an orthodontist doe $500 worth of work in a month, that is magically worth only $250 if it is expected to take 16 months. And according to everyone I know who's had them in the past decade, an appointment is about 15 minutes with the orthodontist. Overhead can't possibly account for $2000 or more in fees from patients per hour.

My younger son had braces as he had some quite crooked teeth. They were $4000, which was payable over the entire time he was under the care of the orthodontist (without interest), and all visits where they were tightened and adjusted as the teeth straightened came under that $4,000. He had small wire(I think) snap, and the orthodontist just included the visit to have it replaced in the overall cost as well as "These things happen". There was a few appointments after the braces came off, too - but they were included in the $4,000 as well. Expensive, yes, but it was 20 months of treatment and followups altogether, so could have been worse.

I just imagine those two crazy kids puckering their lips in the darkness for some sweet fellowship...and getting stuck together. :romance-kisslips:

Love this also!!

Omg, David. Please try to write a weirder caption. This is the weirdest damn caption he has come up with yet!

How about "See, EVERYTHING about me is going to be straight. Really. "

I doubt very much that they are paying for this dual treatment themselves. Each is probably at least $5,000, I would guess, just given my own 2 sons' treatments over the past 5 years (the son with the easiest and shortest treatment was $5k, the other one is about $6500, and we see a very reasonable ortho for our suburban Seattle area).

And there are many reasons for having braces that might not simply be cosmetic. I admit I am a sucker for beautifully straight teeth and I think it's worth every penny which is why I am willing to scrape it together for my kids, but I think Americans in general are pretty obsessed (like I am) with that perfect smile. Certainly a first world problem and something I'm not terribly proud of. But I'm glad to take my kids to the ortho every 6 weeks so they won't have to pay for it themselves when they are adults. And there really is science to it. As you age, your teeth shift and you end up with grinding and decay issues if your teeth aren't properly aligned, so, you know, I think it's worth the time and expense of treatment.

BUT, as another poster said, orthodontists do make a boatload of money. Ours only works 3 days a week. Sigh.

Uh. Kinda weird but w/e.

Adults might have waited to afford Invisalign? idk

living the middle school dream?

I must be missing it, their teeth look pretty straight already.

My daughter got braces in middle school but her teeth were jacked and it took over a year before the teeth behind the braces looked this straight.

Invisalign isn't an option in many cases. My teeth didn't look too jacked, but we're and it wasn't an option for me. I was in braces for 3 years in my thirties.

I saw that comment too and thought it was kind of mean. I'm all for saying that behind their back on Free Jinger, but it seems worse to say it on their Instagram account for whatever reason.

They DO look ridiculous, and I have no idea why they wouldn't just go for Invasalign. Braces are bad enough when you're in middle school, I would hate to get them as an adult.

I have to agree. Those comments are mean. The same points could have been made without the mean and perhaps with more artful, less obvious insults that would have been much more amusing!

ETA: the first one is not so bad, but the second one is mean spirited and not funny

It really makes me wonder how those two could afford them. Last I heard, having two small children in a ritzy Chicago suburb doesn't come cheaply.

Where do they live? I live in a ritzy chicago subarb. I have been looking for Fundie churches in my area to no avail. No fundies to be found anywhere. Where are the Chicago fundies?????

I got braces at the end of 5th grade. They were off by beginning of 8th grade. I got my on early cause I lost all of my baby teeth by the time I was 10.

This is so weird to me. I can't imagine that this would be worth it for minor cosmetic issues. I has braces and they couldn't make my teeth perfect - I have bunny type front teeth and my baby saw teeth never lost all of their little saw edges on my front two- but over time I've grown to like how they are and I think theyre cute on me and if somebody doesn't like it, not my problem. It would never be worth $4000 and pain to make me look more 'perfect' again. As a kid, I needed them cause my canines were coming in early and trying to make double rows of teeth and it was a problem...but now for a slight cocosmetic adjustment, no way.

Caption is so weird so weird. Sooooo weird. Weirder that they don't say why. Also this is one hell of a couples activity. Is it part of the fundie need to match?

On braces: I had braces several years ago (had them as a teen, lost my retainer at some point, never got it replaced, and after 20 years my front teeth were really sticking out again). Looked at invisalign but my orthodontist said it wouldn't work as well to fix my particular issues, so I just got the ceramic brackets.

On David's awkwardness... did anyone ever comment on their ice-skating photo further down on their instagram? This was the caption: "Ice skating with Christmas music playing as best friends". I'm not sure what's up with that sentence construction... SOTDRT? Plus... she's your wife. I mean, I feel like my dh is my best friend, too, but in this context it sounds like a downgrade rather than an upgrade. Couldn't he say, 'I love spending time with my wife and best friend" or "Getting into the holiday spirit while spending time with my favorite person" or... I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking it...

ATI is based in Oak Brook. Not sure if the Pecans live there or in a more moderately priced 'burb.

My husband got braces recently...he is having major work done and only traditional braces can do the job. We live in Chicago proper, and my dh's orthodontist is charging $7000. The 'burbs might be slightly less expensive depending on where their orthodontist is but I wouldn't think a lot less. Adult orthodontia is covered up to $2K on our insurance and that is highly unusual...I'm guessing the Pecans have a good $10-12K of metal in their mouths.

if it's just cosmetic for Pris why didn't they get those plastic things with the gradual adjustments? They're going to have to wear retainers forever since they're adults, and any realignment is just going to go back without upkeep.

snip On David's awkwardness... did anyone ever comment on their ice-skating photo further down on their instagram? This was the caption: "Ice skating with Christmas music playing as best friends". I'm not sure what's up with that sentence construction... SOTDRT? Plus... she's your wife. I mean, I feel like my dh is my best friend, too, but in this context it sounds like a downgrade rather than an upgrade. Couldn't he say, 'I love spending time with my wife and best friend" or "Getting into the holiday spirit while spending time with my favorite person" or... I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking it...

Yes! That caption is so weird! The wording is truly awkward. He's trying so! hard! to sound like what he thinks is normal and failing miserably. It seems to me like he's trying to convince himself that he's really married to his best friend. Oh, David...

Isn't that cute. While real families with real lives struggle to get themselves and their children dental/orthodontia care, the closet boy and his helpmeet are handed braces for...whatever reason. So ironic they both need them at the same time. Even god couldn't plan it that perfectly by himself.

Go to Wheaton. My cousin lives there and there are more churches than people. My daughter lives near Lincoln

Square and I swear there is a church on every corner up there.

if it's just cosmetic for Pris why didn't they get those plastic things with the gradual adjustments? They're going to have to wear retainers forever since they're adults, and any realignment is just going to go back without upkeep.

Retainers are worn "forever" even when the work is done as a teen. I have a permanent retainer behind my front 6 bottom teeth. I had to wear my retainers pretty much 24/7 for the first two months after I got my braces off. I now wear them at night...most nights. I will probably have to wear at least my top retainer at least a few nights a week forever, but it's not something that is unbearable.

Even with the invisalign, retainers are STILL a necessary part of treatment. Its not a big deal.

So I haven't been following FJ much at all but just took a glance through Pecan's instagram and PLEASE tell me people discussed this amazing photo in St. Augustine and the fact that Suze is wearing a sweatshirt that says NIKE on it: http://instagram.com/p/wHCzmtAqXn/?modal=true

It can't be on accident, right????

I noticed the NIKE shirt too. Hopefully it's not coincidence.

Retainers are worn "forever" even when the work is done as a teen. I have a permanent retainer behind my front 6 bottom teeth. I had to wear my retainers pretty much 24/7 for the first two months after I got my braces off. I now wear them at night...most nights. I will probably have to wear at least my top retainer at least a few nights a week forever, but it's not something that is unbearable.

Even with the invisalign, retainers are STILL a necessary part of treatment. Its not a big deal.

Yep, I've had my permanent bottom retainer since...wait for it...1980!!!! Never had to have it repaired. I swear, they need to make airplanes out of that glue!

I don't know why people say braces look ridiculous on adults. I don't wish them on anyone, but for my case, it was train tracks or keep biting my tongue with a canine that was set behind one of my front teeth. Thats a prime example of poor candidacy for Invisalign.

I noticed the NIKE shirt too. Hopefully it's not coincidence.

I must have missed something. What is the significance of the NIKE shirt?

Archived