IGNORED

Thanks for ruining my trip to Whole Foods, Fundie Lady.

Hane

Sounds like a multi-level marketing/home business thing - shoving a catalog (or in this case, a tract) at anyone who strikes up a conversation with you, trying to get them to buy your product (or buy into your beliefs). Wonder if congregations do trainings on this sort of thing - how to "sell" their particular flavor of belief?

Yes, they do.

I don't find tracts annoying. Conversations however are the worst especially when someone won't leave you alone because they think you should not be at college as a woman.

Yes, they do.

Our church has whole schools around the country to deal with that sort of things. Immanuel Institute, mission college of evangelism (actually that one no longer exists I don't think), ARISE, and amazing facts Institute. While schools that teach you how to witness.

I wanted to go once. I thought god was leading me. I got rejected from all 4 schools I applied to.

Looking back, it was kinda he beginning of the end for me, though I didn't realize it till one year later.

When I was a kid there was some group that would come to the school campus once a year and would give out these mini New Testament bibles. I don't know who the group was but they were small and had orange covers. They would be just off the school property. I didn't have any interest in the books, so I think I brought them home and they likely ended up in the Goodwill donations box or my agnostic dad found another suitable home for them.

There is something that is just really rude about striking up a friendly conversation in line and then being given a Steve Maxwell "DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING WHEN YOU DIE?" card. It's just such a cynical view of humanity by the card-giver.

There is something that is just really rude about striking up a friendly conversation in line and then being given a Steve Maxwell "DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING WHEN YOU DIE?" card. It's just such a cynical view of humanity by the card-giver.

Twenty-some years ago, I was in the parking garage at my office after work, and was having trouble getting the lock of my driver's side door open. I was alone, and then one of the security guys showed up. He gave off a creepy vibe. He asked me, "Do you know where you're going?" "Uh, yeah," I said, hurrying to the other side of the car and unlocking the passenger's door."

"I mean, do you know where you're going WHEN YOU DIE?" I threw myself into the car and struggled to climb over the gearshift and into the driver's seat. (Ow.)

"Jesus loves you!" he called out as I started the car. "I know!" I yelled back and got the hell out of there.

At the guard shack, I told the other guy what had happened. "That's just part of his religion," he said nonchalantly.

I had to get going in order not to be late for my second job, but in the morning I went right into the senior manager's office and told her what had happened. The creep got fired.

Great witnessing for Jesus (which doesn't belong during work hours, by the way): sneaking up on a woman in a dark and secluded place and bringing up the topic of DEATH.

How many fundies have the funds needed to shop and feed a herd from the whole paycheck? Granted, there is not one fundie in my very, very liberal (one of the most in the country) county, so my contact is nil, just not believing many fundies shop at such stores.

Not all fundies are quiverfull.

How many fundies have the funds needed to shop and feed a herd from the whole paycheck? Granted, there is not one fundie in my very, very liberal (one of the most in the country) county, so my contact is nil, just not believing many fundies shop at such stores.

You might be surprised. My incredibly liberal county apparently has two Southern Baptist Churches, as well as a couple of those evangelical mega-churches. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't some real, actual hard core fundamentalists out there too. Since it's also a very, very crunchy area the ones who have super long hair and denim skirts would blend right in. And the modern modest young women would look just like everyone else -- it's not like wearing a skirt instead of jeans is going to stand out to most people.

And, come to think of it, they might blend in even more easily in areas like this --- it's not like anyone is going to ask some stranger or their neighbor what church they go to.

I got harassed by a fundie I know at Sam's Clubs at all places. This is a homeschooling family that's been going to our church for a few years. Our church is fairly moderate and this long jean-skirt wearing bunch of fundies are different, but their kids are okay.

I thought they were, you know. different but harmless until the mother cornered me as I was leaving headed toward my car. We had already spoke nicely inside, but outside she started in on me on how could I possibly work and take the kids to the evil public schools every day. She was trying to smile and used a real sickly sweet tone, but the words were vile. It was weird too.

It would be awesome if someone here kept a file crate filled with tracts organized by religion/sect/cult, and then when any proselytizers came by, said "wait here one minute," and then retrieved the whole case of files and said "okay now, which group do you belong to?"

As for me, I usually run them straight through the shredder. :lol:

Or something that looks like a coupon organizer, which would work for smaller tracts.

Or something that looks like a coupon organizer, which would work for smaller tracts.

perfect for the store ones, but much too subtle for the home invaders. :lol: They'd be much more scared by a huge expandable file stuffed to the brim with a few super preachy bumper stickers plastered on the outside.

The intersection between far left wing free love grain grinding hippies and quiverfull fundie cheese making helpmeets as you go full circle through ideologies is kind of glorious.

We don't have a lot of fundies where I'm from but we do have a lot of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which is fine, you have your beliefs and I have mine. One Sunday I was particularly angry, I had a brutal exam scheduled for the next day and I was not a happy camper. I was going to take a nice, long hot bath to help me relax, when there's a knock on the door. I thought it has to be my roommate, she locked herself out and forgot her phone. I wrap a towel around myself and get to the door, open it to find two teenaged mormons gaping at me. One of them speaks directly to my breasts and asked me about my personal relationship with god to which I replied "We're good. No problems recently." They continue to gape at me as I try to figure out how I am going to get rid of them, I'm angry but not rude enough to slam the door in someone's face. So, I listen until they invite me to church and I tell them "I'm not interested but thank you." They left, my roommate came back and cried she laughed so hard, the next Sunday they came back and I did not answer the door. Safe to say I never answered the door in anger again.

We don't have a lot of fundies where I'm from but we do have a lot of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which is fine, you have your beliefs and I have mine. One Sunday I was particularly angry, I had a brutal exam scheduled for the next day and I was not a happy camper. I was going to take a nice, long hot bath to help me relax, when there's a knock on the door. I thought it has to be my roommate, she locked herself out and forgot her phone. I wrap a towel around myself and get to the door, open it to find two teenaged mormons gaping at me. One of them speaks directly to my breasts and asked me about my personal relationship with god to which I replied "We're good. No problems recently." They continue to gape at me as I try to figure out how I am going to get rid of them, I'm angry but not rude enough to slam the door in someone's face. So, I listen until they invite me to church and I tell them "I'm not interested but thank you." They left, my roommate came back and cried she laughed so hard, the next Sunday they came back and I did not answer the door. Safe to say I never answered the door in anger again.

Not saying what they did was right ... but you're probably the most naked person they have ever seen, apart from perhaps a sister or their mother.

I'd have answered the door butt naked if I knew there were Mormons on the other side :)

Not saying what they did was right ... but you're probably the most naked person they have ever seen, apart from perhaps a sister or their mother.

I'd have answered the door butt naked if I knew there were Mormons on the other side :)

hahaha! With a camera to catch their expressions.

:shock: :shock:

• 5 months later...

I am SO sorry...I can't find the hugs smiley so ((((((((((((EmiGirl))))))))))))))

Sorry, just wondering, but why do you say that about Calvinists? I used to be one, but am now an atheist. Sorry, just curious! :-)

Ps proselytizing drives me nuts, especially when they bait you like that. :cry:

Archived