IGNORED

Hey, I know! Let's get a puppy we can't take care of!

Koala

We have an outside dog. He's just shy of a year and around 130 pounds of pure goofy puppiness. But, he's a Great Pyrenees who was bred to be a working dog and raised with a herd of sheep until we brought him home. We're socializing him with chickens and kids.

That said, he comes in to his crate when there are heavy rains because he HATES rain and when it gets too cold. He only stays out overnight in the summer and that is because he truly is happier outside. Also, pyrs are nocturnal, so he is the most active when we want to sleep. Even our kitty is most nights and the chickens are locked in their coops at night.

These people are idiots. You can't separate a puppy and then isolate him!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have an outside dog. He's just shy of a year and around 130 pounds of pure goofy puppiness. But, he's a Great Pyrenees who was bred to be a working dog and raised with a herd of sheep until we brought him home. We're socializing him with chickens and kids.

Great Pyrénées are wonderfull and beautifull dogs. I'm always amazed how kind and quiet they can be :D My germand shepherd grew up also with a herd of sheep. When he come home, he looks lost without his sheeps :lol:

I've been sitting here for 20 minutes or so, trying to think what to say.

I'm not a dog person. Can't say why, but I'm really more of a cat person than a dog person. My husband is a dog person, and accordingly, wanted a dog. As I was passing an adoption event one day, I ended up adopting a three-year old German Shepherd mix for my husband and son. But, suddenly, even though I'm not a dog person, the dog decided he was a Sobe-dog. He waits for me when I leave the house, he sleeps on the floor next to my side of the bed, every time he sees me he wants his head rubbed or belly scratched. He is completely convinced that the only reason that the UPS guy hasn't killed and dismembered us is because he barks so ferociously at him. I even buy him special bones at the butcher shop and stuffy toys he can disembowel, and pick up the pieces afterwards. He is referred to as "Mummy's fur-baby." I've heard it said that a dog is the only thing in the world who will ever love you more than he loves himself, and I swear I believe it.

Three weeks ago, my baby dog-boy was diagnosed with advanced lymphoma in multiple sites, and he's almost certainly going to be gone by Thanksgiving. My heart is broken. I cannot imagine a world without my puppy-face in it.

When I hear about people like this, I see red. I can find forgiveness for just about anyone on the planet, but not people like this. That poor puppy needs a better home with better people.

{{{Sobeknofret}}},

My heart is breaking for you right now. We lost Bianca, a beautiful dilute tortie, to oral cancer about this same time four years ago. It kinda put a pall on the holidays, but we were very grateful for the years that she graced our lives.

We had outdoor dogs when I was growing up- catahoulas and labs that roamed the property all day long and then would be in the laundry room most nights. They always had access to water and to be inside anytime they wanted via a doggy door into the shop.

I just think having a puppy in a house with a bunch of little kids is not a good idea. We know that most fundies do not practice the art of supervising the children and the dog will get the blame when bad behavior occurs. Training a new puppy takes a considerable amount of time and energy which I just don't see a large family being ready for.

If you don't have the time, energy and money to properly care for, train, and socialize your dog and the wherewithal to meets the needs of whatever breed it is, DON'T GET THE DOG. If you've already gotten it, find it a good home with people who will meet its needs. Don't ignore it or abuse it or let it get out of hand where it becomes a danger to people or other animals. The fault is not the dog's...it's the humans.

Exactly. It wasn't Harley's fault that she needed more attention than my roommate and I had time to give her, it was ours...Which was why we considered "finding her TRUE forever family" our responsibility. (I got an e-mail from them last week, and she's so very happy with them.) We weren't meeting her needs, and she needed people who could (and would).

That said, he comes in to his crate when there are heavy rains because he HATES rain and when it gets too cold. He only stays out overnight in the summer and that is because he truly is happier outside. Also, pyrs are nocturnal, so he is the most active when we want to sleep. Even our kitty is most nights and the chickens are locked in their coops at night.

Googled them. Wish I hadn't. Now I want at least 3 :P

My Phoebe would stay out 24/7 if we still had a working farm, she naps in snow drifts, has since 6 months old that was when we lived in Northern Wisconsin, but her job now is the house and me and my elderly Mother and she knows that and I am sure she understands. She sleeps on my bed every night, but if my Mother gets up to use the bathroom or something, she gets up and watches her. She also hates rain, HATES it, and big wind, which we get often here in the middle of the prairie.

Right now she is growly, because it is VERY very windy today and every little unexpected noise gets her attention...she is the best dog ever and as two older women living in the middle of now where, we appreciate her work and attention and we love her more than any dog has ever been loved!

She does stay in her crate (or puppy house as we have always called it) if we are both gone, otherwise if someone showed up and banged on the door she would literally go through the front picture window to get them, so better her safe and a big bark from her crate than her going through two panes of plate glass to get the UPS man, who gives her lots of cookies but she still doesn't trust him!

I hope you have three big houses :D

They are big, beautifull, but I've seen Great Pyrénées who were the most quiet dog, just wanting to nap and hug with little children. I've also seen them working with sheeps, they're very smart.

He loves it outside, the more snow the happier he is! And such good guard dogs. When we are outside he constantly patrols and watches the kids. We are working on a fence for our yard (8 acres). Once that is done, he'll have the whole yard to roam and enjoy. Until then he has a good sized run and full view of two chicken coops. The Jersey Giants he is right next to make a chicken pile at night and cuddle up to him.

Crazy animals!

And he doesn't do strangers. If I bring some one to him, he's all over them for love. But if you just go up to him, well he'll think you are out to get his flock, specifically the kiddos!

And yes, they are crazy smart. You have to be 3 steps ahead of them or you'll find a big dog running you, not the other way around. And the feed bills!

I just can't get past the fact that she decided to get the new puppy when her washing machine is broken. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that puppies=poop and pee. Lots and lots of poop and pee. Everywhere. Why on earth she decided that getting a puppy when she had no ability to clean its blankets, etc. is just beyond me. At least go to the store and get some of those puppy pads that are disposable to act as a temporary solution until she gets the washer up and running. I must be a deeply practical person, because that reeks (ha! :lol: ) of poor planning.

Add me to the 'in favor of crate training if done responsibly and properly' column. My dogs consider their kennels to be their 'safe space' and every fourth of July they just hang out in their kennels during the ultra-uber-scary-end-of-the-world fireworks.

so better her safe and a big bark from her crate than her going through two panes of plate glass to get the UPS man, who gives her lots of cookies but she still doesn't trust him!

My dog is convinced that the only reason the UPS guy hasn't killed and dismembered the whole family is because he barks so ferociously at him. Even if the guy is delivering packages to the neighbors and never approaches our house, the dog goes off his nut barking at him.

If you really want one, and are a strong minded person, because let me tell you they are a strong minded dog, check out Big Fluffy Dog rescue, they do a ton of work with Pyrs and I donate to them every 6 months.

When Phoebe was three years old she drug me down the driveway about 18' because a hawk flew over the house (they are extremely alert to issues from the air), they are very big, smart and powerful, but also the most dedicated and loyal dogs.

I am trying to attach a picture of her at one year old, but I am not sure if I am doing it right.

post-466-14451999609017_thumb.jpg

{{{Sobeknofret}}},

My heart is breaking for you right now. We lost Bianca, a beautiful dilute tortie, to oral cancer about this same time four years ago. It kinda put a pall on the holidays, but we were very grateful for the years that she graced our lives.

I am so sorry about Bianca, Penny. So often, the animals we invite into our lives become more than "pets" and instead become our friends and our closest companions. I will always be grateful that I stopped and adopted him, even though I was late to an appointment. My life has been immeasurably richer and happier because of him.

I got as far as the part about putting a puppy outside when it's freezing, and couldn't get further for a few minutes, then skimmed and saw she put the puppy in the basement until it gets *slightly* less freezing. Oh ma gawd what an imposition, letting the puppy at least be in the basement. I hope animal control steps in.

If her kids are allowed to only rarely change their undies, is she really going to bother with a dog?

Lora, you irresponsible shit, take a newspaper, roll it up, and hit yourself on the nose. Better yet, use one of the hot rocks.

Then, bring that dog inside, and start working on finding him a new home, because yours is a disaster.

:angry-banghead:

So in a few months, or maybe a year, they will have a not as cute, untrained dog that will be dropped off at the shelter. Awesome.

So in a few months, or maybe a year, they will have a not as cute, untrained dog that will be dropped off at the shelter. Awesome.

Completely agree. I hate when people adopt pets because they're cute but then get rid of when they realize that's it's not all cuteness and snuglies. I understand that sometimes pets don't work out for various reasons (as posters here noted) but in thiscase, there was no thought given to long-term care.

To the pet owners who lost/are losing pets - I had my sweet Dakota put down last summer. I was completely heart-broken but it really comforted me to know that she was out of pain (I'm tearing up typing this). As a friend pointed out, sometimes letting them go is the kindest thing we can do for them. I would have loved to have gotten a dog but I live alone and work long hours - leave my house at 5:15 AM and return around 5 PM so I didn't think it was a good idea for me. I ended rescuing an adorable kitten who became a terror after about one week when she felt comfortable. I'm not exagerrating - even the vet said she was "special" and they had medications for that. I'm not using them and am hoping she eventually learns cause and effect. NOTHING works as a reprimand and believe me, I've tried it all. But despite this, I committed to taking care of her when I adopted her and don't plan on returning her. And she has found her way into my heart despite her nuttiness. :)

But if their dog ends up acting like my Maggie-the -cat, I truly fear for how she'll treat it.

Between fb and her post, she only got 2 comments. I am guessing folks are not amused.

Either that or she's deleted any negative comments.

Letting your kids wear dirty underwear? That's just shitty!

Don't know if you meant this as a pun or not Penny, but it made me chuckle.

Seriously though, this thread has made me depressed. It's like she's BRAGGING about her own inconsiderateness. I'd love to get a cat, but I can't afford pets at the moment and I do not live in pet-appropriate accommodation, so I refuse to put innocent creatures through shit for selfish reasons like that. When I do live in a better flat (on the ground floor with garden access, and providing the landlord's OK with it) I'm going to spoil the cat I do get as if he or she really is my baby. That's the very least any pet deserves.

Holy shit this pisses me off. So...you get a domesticated pack animal and isolate it from the rest of its pack and expect it to behave? WTF?!?!

I will never understand that line of thinking. It's one thing when said animals have company and are worked with on a regular basis. I had relatives who had outdoor only dogs, but they had 4-5 of them, plenty of space for them, and worked with them on a daily basis for hunting. These dogs were also with the humans whenever the humans were outside, and on a farm, that's often. They were sheltered from the elements. That's still barely acceptable to me, but it is.

My 11 year old rottie was a tiny pup when we got him--about 4 weeks. He slept on a towel in a cat kennel between DH and myself until he outgrew the kennel, and then graduated to the german-shepard sized kennel in our bedroom for at night. We had him up and outside every hour those first few weeks because he just couldn't hold it--he was a baby. It was a great night the first time we slept more than 2 hours in a row. There was lots of piddle, carpet cleaning, and laundry. He had to stay in the cat kennel on the bed because otherwise he'd piddle on the bed, but we'd keep our fingers through the holes or he'd cry.

I'm a believer in crate training--but there is a right way and a wrong way. My babe loved his kennel and I'd get all sorts of dirty looks when I'd wash his blankets. Now that he's old, he has a a memory foam bed on the floor next to me, which he loves. He's too old to get up on the bed without help, so he gets some stretching and massage from me daily, a walk at his pace to keep his joints mobile, and lots and lots of love.

The last two I got were like this. My husky is now awesome, thanks to my hard work, and the St. Bernard is a work in progress, but after 4 months is coming along nicely. It's a lot of work to build a relationship with a dog and to train them. But oh so worth it!

I also just adopted (as in yesterday) 2 kittens. Brother and sister and they're adorable...AND holy terrors! BUT...I know they're babies (3 months old) and they're VERY curious. They have a big kennel to sleep in (keep them safe from the dogs who are very gentle but these guys are LITTLE), toys and all sorts of stuff already. They are also VERY social and talkative!

BUT...I have a HUGE house, a good sized yard, live close enough to my office to go home at lunchtime, and let the babies run wild while I am at home.

I'm almost certain this is exactly what will happen. My family includes two lab mixes who love us unconditionally and I believe they faced the same fate. It was an uphill battle to train two rowdy two year old dogs, but we stuck with it. It also helps that we have ten acres of hills, to burn off 85% of their energy each day.

They spent their first weeks home requesting to be let out and in at 15 minute intervals - I think they were testing us. We installed a doggy door that gives them free reign of the house when we are home and just the utility room when we are away. On rainy, hot or particularly cold days, they pout and whine at the back door because I make them stay inside. But more often than not, they are following one of us around the house or napping at our feet even with access to outside.

I hope there is a family in the area ready to take on the challenge when this cutie is dropped off.

This kind of stuff makes me mad. If you cannot commit to the animal, DON'T ADOPT IT! Also, fix the wash machine first.

Last summer, my kids were bugging me for a dog. Not knowing what was going on with my job, we ended up adopting two guinea pigs from a shelter. I know its not as much work as a dog, but its still work and we all pitch in and help out. They live in a large cage in our living room/dining room, get lots of time out of the cage daily either running around the room or being held, are extremely spoiled, and not on a porch with hot rocks.

I give it three months until the dog ends up in a shelter or "runs away".

Archived