IGNORED

Historian Kirk Cameron declares that Halloween is christian

doggie

Well time to change history again to fit your faith.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/kirk ... ing-satan/

Fundamentalist actor Kirk Cameron recently urged Christians to embrace Halloween, arguing that it was a holiday that pagans had tried to steal from them.

In an interview published by The Christian Post on Monday, Cameron explained that the “real origins†of Halloween had to do with a Catholic Church tradition of remembering the dead before All Saints Day.

“When you go out on Halloween and see all people dressed in costumes and see someone in a great big bobble head Obama costume with great big ears and an Obama face, are they honoring him or poking fun?†the actor asked. “They are poking fun at him.â€

Cameron observed that mocking President Barack Obama with a Halloween mask was similar to when “Christians would dress up in costumes as the devil, ghosts, goblins and witches precisely to make the point that those things were defeated and overthrown by the resurrected Jesus Christ.â€

“The costumes poke fun at the fact that the devil and other evils were publicly humiliated by Christ at His resurrection,†he continued. “That’s what the Scriptures say, that He publicly humiliated the devil when He triumphed over power and principality and put them under his feet.â€

But according to Cameron, pagans had tried to claim the Christian holiday for themselves.

“Over time you get some pagans who want to go this is our day, high holy day of Satanic church, that this is all about death, but Christians have always known since the first century that death was defeated, that the grave was overwhelmed, that ghosts, goblins, devils are foolish has-beens who used to be in power but not anymore,†he insisted. “That’s the perspective Christians should have.â€

Historians universally recognize Halloween’s origins as dating back to the Celtic festival of Samhain, in which the ghosts of the dead were said to return to Earth for one night. It wasn’t until over 600 years later that Pope Boniface IV incorporated the pagan festival into the tradition of All Martyrs Day. And historians believe that the church created the All Saints Day celebration 400 years later in an attempt to replace the festival of Samhain.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Erika Shupe is going to be so disappointed. Her most popular post ever was her treatise on how Halloween was definitely pagan and SATAN.

Erika Shupe is going to be so disappointed. Her most popular post ever was her treatise on how Halloween was definitely pagan and SATAN.

Someone should send her the link to this article. *smirk*

oh lord.

pretty sure the christians took over after the practice was already culturally established. kind of...like...christmas...

whoops.

these wack-a-doos really re-write things as they see fit don't they?

samhain has been around forever...long before the catholic church. and Yule (christmas) was originally pagan as well...yep, he must have a great costume and maybe his wife wants to have a party. hmmm, wonder how many fundies will start trick-or-treating???

When did Kirk Cameron become such an idiot?

maybe all the on-set hairspray on growing pains affected his oxygen supply.

Does anyone actually listen to what this clown says? He's not the Pope or the Mormon prophet or something, right? Who cares what his opinion on history is (ugh!)?

Does anyone actually listen to what this clown says? He's acting like his opinion matters, like he's the Pope or the Mormon prophet or something. What an ass.
of course there are idiots they are called conservative Christians like the Duggars

Does that mean the churches can finally stop having "Fall Festivals" where people dress up and kids go around getting candy and start having "Halloween" parties where people dress up and kids go around having candy?

On FB one of my weird relatives posted a picture of herself dressed up asking what people thought of her costume. Someone replied "Oh what a good Halloween costume!" and she got all bitchy and said "It isn't a Halloween costume. It is a Fall Festival one for my church on the 31st." :roll:

of course there are idiots they are called conservative Christians like the Duggars

you know, i almost wonder if this thought had come out years and years ago if i would have been allowed to participate in halloween :roll:

Short version: "I wanna dress up in blackface."

So I wasn't the only who took that away from the article.

Bright side: a bunch of fundie-light kids are going to get to have fun on Halloween! Because yes, Kirk Cameron's opinions have a heavenly choir soundtrack in the minds of some of these yahoos.

Yeah, that was an oddly specific mention of dressing as Obama.

Can we have Yule back?

yes, please, as long as it doesn't become over-commercialized.

Nope: My first thought was "Kirk wants to dress up to mock the President, so he decided that Halloween was Christian."

However, I never knew that Celts were Christian, silly me, I thought they were pagan.

Nope: My first thought was "Kirk wants to dress up to mock the President, so he decided that Halloween was Christian."

However, I never knew that Celts were Christian, silly me, I thought they were pagan.

there were celtic christians. in fact, there are celtic christians today, though as far as how similar they are to the traditions back then and how similar they are to what kirk espouses, i can't really say. from my understanding, the celtic christians and pagans lived alongside each other and celebrated samhain culturally.

eta, from what i've read on it, although there are religious and spiritual aspects to it, samhain was more of a cultural holiday than a religious one, and - from my guess - the christians coming in later weren't too comfortable with all of it so they created all saint's day to moosh everything.

I'm going to dress up as Kirk Cameron for Halloween. Scare all the neighborhood kids when they come by. I've got the vacant stare down pat.

I've always done a Yule log along with the tree and other festivities. I'm not Wiccan (nothing wrong with that) but do recognize Pagan ritual as the basis for all major holidays. May Day (beltane), Solstice (winter and summer), Samhain, etc...all matriculated by the church into modern day gift grabs and ritualized around Christ. It's just weird to me that people (fundie, fundie lite, bible thumpers) are so blind to the origins of humanity. If they really do believe in and study the literal message of the bible then the KJV isn't the way. The books of the bible were written in Aramaic. There are whole communites of doctoral scholars who continue to TRY to understand its true meaning. It is a complicated and ancient language. It isn't black and white.

I'm just saying that in this modern world, after multiple translations into various languages, nothing is interpreted as it was originally intended and even if you take the Bible as a divine message from God then shouldn't we take the time to learn it's original message before staking your life and the lives of your children on something akin to the "telephone game"?

I guess that is one of the things that grates my nerve the most...espousing beliefs that you don't understand, preaching messages that aren't true, claiming to have a ministry while personally profiting, living by Leviticus - but only the parts that suit you...and I could go on. This turned into a random rant. Oops.

In short: yeah, I bet we see Kirk dressed as Obama this year - to honor God!

Archived