IGNORED

TTUAC being investigated by censors in New Zealand...

inkypinkyponky

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5495842 ... -to-censor

There's a nice precis of the book at the end of the article. An 'anti-smacking law' was passed in New Zealand after a referendum in 2009, which may give the censors grounds to ban the book as it tells people how to break the law - here's a summary...

http://howto.yellow.co.nz/legal/consume ... cking-law/

Grr. This makes me so angry! My dad was offered a job in New Zealand about a decade ago. I was like, "YES! Let's go. Now! Run for the sanity!" But my mom was all, "Hells no." Upshot of the story? I could be living in nice, sane, beautiful New Zealand right now. And I'm not. Because of my mother. WHo I love. But sort of want to yell at right now. /digression

New Zealand's a lovely place to live, but not without its problems. Can't be that bad if almost every fatal road accident makes the newspapers, if not the national news...

Wow this is interesting! I work in an indie bookshop in NZ and we've recently had to deal with threats of violence (not directed specifically at us) over a book about a woman who's twin babies were killed and she and her partner were suspected. We've taken the stance that we won't stock the controversial book but people can order it.

Our view is we shouldn't sensor what people want to read, however since TTUAC is soooo much worse, I would not feel good ordering it for anyone.

It will be interesting to see if anyone asks for TTUAC!

Oh wow I hadn't even heard about this, guess I am a bit out of the loop. I will be very interested to see what happens. Although I am generally against the idea of banning books, I think this is much sensible than the banned books lists I have heard about overseas.

Demgirl, my fundie parents actually moved out of New Zealand with all my sisters because they were afraid of being prosecuted under the anti smacking law. Now that's fucked up.

Eh, much as I hate to give any kind of a break to the Pearls, I'm not in favor of banning books. It can create a dangerous precedent. I can see putting warning labels on books that instruct people how to be violent and break the law, however.

I agree that NZ is not a utopia. They were one of the first countries to make legislation against fat people, and there's some pretty rampant domestic violence there. Unfortunately, there is nowhere on Earth that is free from the patriarchy's influence.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5495842/Violent-child-training-book-off-to-censor

There's a nice precis of the book at the end of the article. An 'anti-smacking law' was passed in New Zealand after a referendum in 2009, which may give the censors grounds to ban the book as it tells people how to break the law - here's a summary...

http://howto.yellow.co.nz/legal/consume ... cking-law/

I guess, if he was still harboring any hopes of going back and establishing a kingdom there, Geoff will have to give it up now. Can't imaging the Robotkins are roboticized without some whippings.

I don't like the idea of banning books, but I'm almost willing to make an exception for the Pearls. Actually, I'd like to ban the Pearls from the planet. Can we do that? Maybe we can send them to the moon.

Guest Anonymous
I don't like the idea of banning books, but I'm almost willing to make an exception for the Pearls. Actually, I'd like to ban the Pearls from the planet. Can we do that? Maybe we can send them to the moon.

It's tempting, but the moon has enough Earth-born space junk on it.

Archived