IGNORED

‘Lamborghini’ chickens are completely black and cost £1500

doggie

this is just crazy the chicken is black all the way through skin bones guts and all.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/04/rare-ayam ... h-4856607/

Good heavens, some prankster spray painted a bunch of chickens black!

Not quite, as the rare Ayam Cemani Chicken is completely black from head to toe comb to talon.

The eyes, beak and even tongue are all jet black, while their feathers also shine emerald green in certain lights.

Amazingly, the chickens’ dark hue runs right through their core, with their bones, meat and organs also being black.

The birds, native to Indonesia, get their black colouring from a natural generic trait known as ‘fibromelanosis’.

Don’t get too excited though, because like all rare and beautiful things these chickens come with a price tag, and one will set you back $2500 (£1519).

chicken-1_zps7ee23615.png

black-meat_zps8809800f.png

My husband grew up eating black chicken, his Nan was poor and she bought the bruised batterd chickens nobody else would buy from the butcher. *shudder*

Sure, they look "coo"l, but do they taste good? I struggle to see that price justified based on colour. Ok, I struggle to see it justified even if they taste heavenly (and I'm willing to spend for nice food), but still.

Um.... well. They're cute, I guess?

The only chicken I would pay more for based on looks is a Silkie Bantam. THEY ARE GODDAMN GORGEOUS. And never for eating. Every time we see them at the County Fair DH and I contemplate getting a chicken or two

7129cbb0_58704_white_s.jpeg

The only chicken I would pay more for based on looks is a Silkie Bantam. THEY ARE GODDAMN GORGEOUS. And never for eating. Every time we see them at the County Fair DH and I contemplate getting a chicken or two

Awwww they are cute! I didn't see these guys at our county fair.

I looked them up when I first saw this and you can pick up a chick for like $20. They'd be fun to raise. (although I'd be way more excited if they laid black eggs. :D )

Silkies are gorgeous. And they're supposed to be some of the best chickens for pets because they have such good personalities. The bantam ones are just so tiny and cute!

I looked them up when I first saw this and you can pick up a chick for like $20. They'd be fun to raise. (although I'd be way more excited if they laid black eggs. :D )

Silkies are gorgeous. And they're supposed to be some of the best chickens for pets because they have such good personalities. The bantam ones are just so tiny and cute!

That explains why some friends of mine have them! :lol: i was wondering...

And the meat is very strange. Almost gray. :ew:

I had white Silkies as a kid, got a pair from a neighbor who had all sorts of bantams running around. They are great pets, very tame and friendly, even the roosters. I had a pair of roosters for a while that would follow me around when I was outside, and most of them would eat from my hand and tolerate being hauled around under one arm. :) Also great mothers - my hens hatched lots of eggs from other chickens, and were great at raising them, even when the babies grew bigger than Mom. The eggs are small and off-white, and I think the meat is all-dark, no white meat - but we never ate any of mine. We did have some cross-breeds, half Silkie and I think the other half was either Buff Orpington or Dominecker (which I've mangled the spelling of - black and white speckled chickens). We ate a few of them, the meat was all-dark like the Silkies. Can't remember what they looked like though, darn it. I miss my little fluffy chickens. If I'm ever in a place where I can have them again, Silkies are at the top of the list.

Guinea fowl are also on the list, but they're about the exact opposite, personality-wise. Flighty, twitchy, half-wild critters, but they are great watchdogs (better than any dog we ever had), and we never had an issue with ticks in the yard while we had guineas on the farm. However, they wake up early, sound like a rusty gate, and fly very well, so they usually didn't bunk with the hens. Ours liked to start their day with a chorus under Mom and Dad's window, so Dad wasn't crazy about them. :) They are also lousy parents, and I wonder how they survive in the wild. Ours were prone to hiding a nest long enough for the eggs to hatch, but then they would lose half the chicks out in the weeds. I admire their bug-eating abilities, and the fact that we could always tell when someone drove up the driveway, but we had better luck when we put the eggs under one of the Silky hens.

God, why did you mix a chicken and a llama ?

Do you have to brush those? I'm not a chicken farmer, but I've always had the impression that chicken aren't particularly clean animals. It seems like after a few hours of walking around in the mud or in their shit, those chickens would become filthy.

I had white Silkies as a kid, got a pair from a neighbor who had all sorts of bantams running around. They are great pets, very tame and friendly, even the roosters. I had a pair of roosters for a while that would follow me around when I was outside, and most of them would eat from my hand and tolerate being hauled around under one arm. :) Also great mothers - my hens hatched lots of eggs from other chickens, and were great at raising them, even when the babies grew bigger than Mom. The eggs are small and off-white, and I think the meat is all-dark, no white meat - but we never ate any of mine. We did have some cross-breeds, half Silkie and I think the other half was either Buff Orpington or Dominecker (which I've mangled the spelling of - black and white speckled chickens). We ate a few of them, the meat was all-dark like the Silkies. Can't remember what they looked like though, darn it. I miss my little fluffy chickens. If I'm ever in a place where I can have them again, Silkies are at the top of the list.

Guinea fowl are also on the list, but they're about the exact opposite, personality-wise. Flighty, twitchy, half-wild critters, but they are great watchdogs (better than any dog we ever had), and we never had an issue with ticks in the yard while we had guineas on the farm. However, they wake up early, sound like a rusty gate, and fly very well, so they usually didn't bunk with the hens. Ours liked to start their day with a chorus under Mom and Dad's window, so Dad wasn't crazy about them. :) They are also lousy parents, and I wonder how they survive in the wild. Ours were prone to hiding a nest long enough for the eggs to hatch, but then they would lose half the chicks out in the weeds. I admire their bug-eating abilities, and the fact that we could always tell when someone drove up the driveway, but we had better luck when we put the eggs under one of the Silky hens.

Your user name is very apt :D

Archived