IGNORED

Shariah Law in Oklahoma

Brainsample

For whatever reason, I cannot get the search function on YUKU to bring up any info when I do any searches for old threads over there.

Does anyone remember any details or the previous thread about the concerns about an actual legal case that would set a legal precedent in Oklahoma in support of Shariah law?

I have a friend with whom I discussed it in OK, but they are not in. Need links or whatever documentation that exists regarding this.

Anyone have ideas or remember details?

I know that they had a state wide vote and that they had an activist fighting for this, but my concern was whether there was an actual case involved.

There was no case. There was a lot of fear, fear that there might be a law based on Sharia, so this was put on the ballot. The whole "singling out one religion" will likely kill this thing.

This is the most recent decent article I can find on it. Apparently a federal judge has ruled the law unconstitutional and the state is appealing (second paragraph). This has not stopped other states from considering such laws.

http://jurist.org/paperchase/2011/08/mi ... lation.php

The whole thing is crazy because much of American law is based on British common law.

People are so scared of Islam in the USA. I don't support Sharia but I live in a city that's 55% Asian and 25% Muslim and really, it's nothing to fear.

I would assume that if a Muslim is living in the US, the chances are good he or she wouldn't support Sharia law. Likely that person is living in the US to ESCAPE Sharia law.

You might be thinking about this thread.

The search function at Yuku seems to be permanently disabled. I find old FJ threads by going to Google and typing in either "freejinger" or "freejinger.yuku" - the latter if I want something specific from the old board - and then a string of words related to the topic of interest. Sometimes it takes a few tries, but it seems to work fairly well overall.

Guest Anonymous

I'm guessing that every town that has a mosque in this country has Sharia law. Just like most Jewish communities have access to their own Sharia court called a Beit Din. These religious courts are for members of the individual faiths. No different than Canon courts for the RCC.

Too much ignorant fear being spread by the overtly paranoid.

To piggyback off of what Burris suggested:

Go to Google, and type in: sharia law site:freejinger.yuku.org

This will bring up every page where Sharia law was mentioned on that site.

*eye roll* People are ridiculous. Our economy is in the dumps. We're bleeding jobs. We're involved in two wars we'll likely never win. And this is what people are wasting their time on? Maybe we deserve what we're getting right now. We're to stupid to figure out where our energy, time, and money is best spent.

I would assume that if a Muslim is living in the US, the chances are good he or she wouldn't support Sharia law. Likely that person is living in the US to ESCAPE Sharia law.

depends on how you define sharia.. for most Muslims, sharia is the code of conduct of Islam, covering fasting, prayers etc.. It covers how to live ones life as a Muslim; not a codified system of laws to govern a country.

It's like... say, Jewish family law, which is a series of rules that govern the familial relationships in Orthodox Jewish families. It exists concurrent to state law, and govern different aspects of the relationship.

Other aspects covered include prayers, charity, making the hajj etc... I'm not sure I'd agree that Muslims living in the US *don't* support these things!!! :) The Koran is also respectful of custom, so the form of an obligation can vary from situation to situation.

What you see in Iran, Saudi, Aceh is when sharia becomes state law. This isn't a necessary component of sharia - it's an objective for some Muslims, sure, but it's not required.

Sharia is simply a code of conduct for Muslims, and much of it comes from outside the Koran. Most Muslims living in the US would not want sharia law to become the new US constitution.

Muslims are already a tiny minority in the US; I wouldn't be surprised if Oklahoma actually has fewer Muslims than say, New York. So any sort of bill to ban sharia law is the knee-jerk reaction of ignorant fundies.

Sharia is simply a code of conduct for Muslims, and much of it comes from outside the Koran. Most Muslims living in the US would not want sharia law to become the new US constitution.

Muslims are already a tiny minority in the US; I wouldn't be surprised if Oklahoma actually has fewer Muslims than say, New York. So any sort of bill to ban sharia law is the knee-jerk reaction of ignorant fundies.

I lived in the OKC area for a year and a half, back in the early '90s. There was what I found to be a surprisingly high Muslim population there, and that's the first thing that I thought of when the bombing happened. I lived and worked in the northeast, and I worked with more Muslims in OKC than I have anywhere else, save for here in the Detroit area. That's another reason why it didn't surprise me that Shariah Law was a concern there.

Thanks for the info, everyone!

I've been trying to get that old Yuku search to work for several things, and I kept wonder what I was doing wrong. It gives all appearances that it's going to do what you think it's promised, but it doesn't!

Archived