IGNORED

The Kleins- inKLEINation!

nelliebelle1197

This family cropped up in a Maxwell thread. I did not find them and cannot take credit. Thoughtful found a couple of past mentions in the FJ super computer of them, but not much. So drumroll....

Meet the Kleins of inKlEINation!

Fast facts:

*8 boys and 6 girls.

*The oldest boy recently married a woman in what might be the homeliest wedding dress ever.

*Pioneers of an innovative homeschool method called "copying the entire damn bible instead of actually learning anything useful"

*Appear to be anabaptists

*Daughter Abi illustrated Moody books

*Live in St. Louis

*Following the tried and true method of business success - open an online computer resource, overcharge for it, sell said product to your fellow believers because Jesus, repeat. This time it is Mac.

Have fun!

blog.inkleinations.com/p/about-copying-bible.html

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, lordy. So much potential for snark. I had to drag myself away from their site during my last pre-exam study break.

My favourite bit is the link that reads, "Fight racism-reject Darwinism". It's at the very bottom of the column on the right hand side just below their blog archive.

This was the other thing that jumped out at me:

In acquiring general knowledge outside the Bible, we feel that we must train our children to acquire a taste for that which is beneficial for us to know. That is, for the most part, if learning a thing is of little benefit to us (as parents), it usually isn’t of much benefit to them. Exceptions would be in the area of skills: fixing the bus or learning Swahili.

Basically they're admitting how scared they are of exposing their children to ideas and of their children asking questions. I wonder if they realise (or care) that many practical skills wouldn't exist if someone hadn't had the curiosity to ask questions, and the imagination to have an idea first.

And as a parent of a couple of (completely average) kids who are interested and engaged in the world around them and who are so thirsty for ideas, I wonder how much 'training' it takes to squash a child into only being interested in the very small world it's parents feel is beneficial.

Oh, lordy. So much potential for snark. I had to drag myself away from their site during my last pre-exam study break.

My favourite bit is the link that reads, "Fight racism-reject Darwinism". It's at the very bottom of the column on the right hand side just below their blog archive.

This was the other thing that jumped out at me:

Basically they're admitting how scared they are of exposing their children to ideas and of their children asking questions. I wonder if they realise (or care) that many practical skills wouldn't exist if someone hadn't had the curiosity to ask questions, and the imagination to have an idea first.

And as a parent of a couple of (completely average) kids who are interested and engaged in the world around them and who are so thirsty for ideas, I wonder how much 'training' it takes to squash a child into only being interested in the very small world it's parents feel is beneficial.

I also saw the bolded where they touch on their anti-learning stance. I have not yet had a chance to finish reading their "publications" on college, but am so attracted to the title "The Unholy Trinity.. Art, Science and Technology." Apparently, since Jesus didn't teach Peter how to draw or sculpt, or chemistry, biology, engineering or architecture, OR technology, then that is proof we aren't supposed to spend our time on it.

This is a pamphlet written by Art Dappen, who apparently introduced them to the idea of copying the Bible -- so I'm going to have to look him up later.

Now,Dad does computer work on contract, so apparently this was learned after he got his education. I knew the fundies were going more anti-education/anti-intellectual, but this is pretty hard core in that direction. It seems like I'm always finding a new bit of WTF from the fundies....

So technology is unholy but a perfectly acceptable way to make a living...good to know.

Didn't Jesus have a special word for these sorts of people?

Don't they realize they're setting up their kids to fail?

The world says, “If you don’t perform well academically, what will you eat? How will you be clothed?†The Lord has an answer to that

“But seek ye first the kingdom of God,

and his righteousness;

and all these things

shall be added unto you.â€

Re bolded: In many cases that would be eating poor nutrition (and maybe even spoiled food we went on a picnic with fundie friends this summer -- they kept fried chicken leftovers for half a day in their van -in a cooler, but still- and then stuck them in the freezer to use later. This type of thing was not uncommon for them) and inadequate clothing, esp. second-hand footwear, which can lead to some pretty serious problems. Also, lack of attention for health needs, even as basic as dental care. Their kids will be limited to uneducated unskilled labor and that does not an easy life or strong foundation for future generations make. The combination of few resources, unsanitary conditions, kids going to bed dirty, doing everything the hard way actually CAUSES more health concerns, which suck the family resources even drier. If they are in unskilled labor it's very possible they might not have health insurance. Then any catastrophe could lead to unnecessary death or bankruptcy.

i know so many families that have a lot of health struggles just because there are too many people to keep clean, well fed, and well rested.

The Kleins and people who believe what they are saying just are not thinking clearly.

The help of friends, church members, and family will eventually dwindle out for this type of fundie. This is really the first generation, and they're riding on the back of the success of extended family or acquaintances who are educated and fiscally responsible. That won't last forever, and they'll be back to 19th century problems.

This is just sad: (thanks Salex for the heads up on this bit of crazy lol)

post-10046-14451999376788_thumb.jpg

source: inkleinations.com/publishing

and when did "seeking first the kingdom" turn into an excuse to reject expanding our children's knowledge of God's creation and all the ways it can be improved through higher learning? :cray-cray:

To echo uber frau: Fundies like this who are scared of higher education just need to admit they're afraid their faith will fall apart in the light of honest intellectual curiosity.

That wedding dress is a perfect example of faux modesty. "See how modest I am? Why, I'm even willing to look like absolute shit on my wedding day. Seriously, is there anyone more modest than MEEEEEE?"

ETA: Did Dave Klein convert from Judaism? Between his name and his mother making cabbage rolls, I'm guessing yes. And yet there is no apparent tension between them.

inkleinations.com/2009/07/grandparents-return.html

One of the first things that jumped out at me on their site is the first phrase in each of the kids' bios in their "about us" section: "(Name) loves kids. Blah blah blah..."

On one hand, they do seem to have a decent handle on some of each of their kids' basic personality traits. Otoh, they all, aside from the baby, love kids? Really? They all love interacting with and caring for kids at the kids' level? All eleventy of them? I'm dubious.

Then there was a rant somewhere about not taking as good care of our kids as we do our toothbrushes if we don't follow their extreme version of sheltering and educational neglect. I wish I could remember it, because it didn't even make sense.

The clothing on the females looks EXACTLY like what my MIL used to dress my SILs in the 80s and early 90s. Shudder.

There was another blog where the mother homeschooled using only the Bible, from the Yuku FJ days. No pictures or graphics, and she listed a curriculum for kindergarten, then 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grades (what happened to 1st?). I think she might have lived in the D. C. area. Anyone remember this one?

Technology is bad but they are computer consultants?

Art is bad but one of the daughters illustrated some Moody books?

Okay then.

In her defence, the scratching in the Moody books couldn't be described as art by anyone.

They've successfully beaten any imagination out of her too: the Maxwell 'children' had to photograph the scenarios they wanted her to draw.

Sarah posted about how difficult it was to get the animals to cooperate when they tried to set up a shot of the dog chasing the cat up a tree. (No shit, Sherlock).

Wow that is one homely dress. Why throw together Frankengrown when they could have gotten a pattern for a Victorian style dress that would have been both modest and elegant? something like this would have been lovely

Victorian wedding dress This would have been beautiful gorgeous and modest and this one would have been fairly simple to make and if they used a material that wasn't sheer in the sleeves it would have passed even the most stringent fundie standards for modesty and femininity gown I love the simple beauty of this one simple gown

Wow that is one homely dress. Why throw together Frankengrown when they could have gotten a pattern for a Victorian style dress that would have been both modest and elegant? something like this would have been lovely

Victorian wedding dress

because any shape other than square or barrel is considered too immodest and makes the menfolks think about boobies :lol:

I always wondered about that if the father was Jewish. The only Kleins I have known have been Jewish.

It is just the German word for "small," and there are certainly non-Jewish Kleins.

http://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=klein

If he converted, though, I want to read the story of his conviction. Must be a lulu.

Actually I find her engagement pictures outfit to be much more hideous. Her wedding dress, while not flattering or pretty, is okay in that "I'm a plain homespun 1880s family girl" kind of way. The denim smock dress with the dirt brown, yech.

Here is a link to the Education of Kings ebook the Kleins promote

inkleinations.s3.amazonaws.com/pdfs/publications/the-education-of-kings.pdf

I was going to paste in a couple of choice morsels, but the PDF doesn't appear to have been exported from the text in a educated manner, thus the formatting is insane. Upshot of the horrors of the first few pages:

Education is like dating. Kids don't need either. God provides all they need. Scripture study should be constant. Job training and real education are secondary and unnecessary. Jesus did not send his grown ass, previously employed disciples to school to learn about all that job-type stuff. Kids don't need a real education because Jesus. Seriously. That is argument.

He forgets Jesus stated clearly to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and that Jesus had a skilled trade called carpentry!. In other words, take care of the worldly portion of your life in addition to what you must do spiritually.

I am duly horrified.

I wonder what happened to this family in 2007? Every other year - lots of blog posts but in 2007 - only 2. Inquiring minds want to know.

Victorian wedding dress This would have been beautiful gorgeous and modest and this one would have been fairly simple to make and if they used a material that wasn't sheer in the sleeves it would have passed even the most stringent fundie standards for modesty and femininity gown I love the simple beauty of this one simple gown

I'm with NjoyingNsanity. I honestly don't understand why they don't make or buy a flattering dress that meets their standards of modesty instead of this stupid "just wear a shirt under or over your dress" crap. :angry-banghead:

There was another blog where the mother homeschooled using only the Bible, from the Yuku FJ days. No pictures or graphics, and she listed a curriculum for kindergarten, then 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grades (what happened to 1st?). I think she might have lived in the D. C. area. Anyone remember this one?

Jesus-is-lord.com mom Tracy only used the bible to homeschool. I think she may have been in that area too

I live near several Amish communities. Even they would be embarrassed by that dress. Among other reasons, the sewing is crap, the skirt is too long, and the blouse thingy is not even the same material.

I will never understand why all these godly homemaker types think wearing poorly constructed clothing makes for a good testimony.

Archived