IGNORED

Alabama Officials Say New EPA Regulations Violate God's Will

doggie

This really shows conservative Christians think god is a capitalist and why they have to deny pollution. if god is so great he will give them the knowledge how to make coal burn clean. come on god show us your true colors.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/2 ... 30945.html

Pushing back against new Environmental Protection Agency standards limiting carbon emissions from coal-fired power plants, Alabama officials gathered Monday to argue that the new federal policy flouted the Almighty's will by regulating a God-given resource.

“Who has the right to take what God's given a state?" Alabama Public Service Commission (PSC) member-elect Chip Beeker asked during a news conference held in the offices of the Alabama Coal Association on Monday, according to AL.com.

By 2030, the Obama administration’s new rules would require Alabama to reduce carbon emissions from coal-fired power plants by 27 percent from 2012 levels.

Alabama’s PSC officials, however, view the new standards as an "an assault†on the state’s lifestyle, and are accusing the Obama administration of purposely seeking to diminish coal-related jobs.

"I will not back down,†PSC President Twinkle Andress Cavanaugh said Monday, claiming that the new EPA regulations will cost Alabama 16,000 jobs. “We will not stand for what they're trying to do to our way of life.â€

Cavanaugh also warned that the regulations could cause a spike in utility costs for consumers, as Alabama’s largely coal-powered energy industry serves as one of the nation’s largest electricity generators.

"I hope all the citizens of Alabama will be in prayer that the right thing will be done," Cavanaugh said, calling on Alabamians to pray for a divine intervention.

These annoying people are like an infestation or a plague of locusts preying on our brains.

They do hit the high points:

• Coal because God

• Obama's fault

• Pray for divine intervention to maintain our way of life (sound familiar? Bueller?... Bueller? )

"Who has the right to take what God's given a state?" Alabama Public Service Commission (PSC) member-elect Chip Beeker asked during a news conference held in the offices of the Alabama Coal Association on Monday, according to AL.com."

In that case, we'd better give the malaria back...

Pushing back against new Environmental Protection Agency standards limiting carbon emissions from coal-fired power plants, Alabama officials gathered Monday to argue that the new federal policy flouted the Almighty's will by regulating a God-given resource.

I supposed you can make the argument that women's bodies are a resource, yet they try regulating US to the hilt.

I'm an atheist but things like this make me hope I am wrong and hope that when people like this present themselves at the pearly gates - God bitch slaps them for being so stupid.

"I will not back down,†PSC President Twinkle Andress Cavanaugh said Monday, claiming that the new EPA regulations will cost Alabama 16,000 jobs. “We will not stand for what they're trying to do to our way of life.â€

Is his/her name really Twinkle?? That's awesome.

in the 70's and the 90s we saw the same arguments about the car pollution and coal pollution. but it turned out they could do it and still make the money if not more. It really makes you wonder that these Christians all they seem to care about is corporations who are not even christian will make a lot of money. they don't seem to care about their heath or the health of their kids. seems they think Jesus was a capitalist or something.

Didn't God tell Adam to look after everything in the Garden of Eden?

In the NRSV God gives Adam dominion over everything in the Garden.

I don't know any mainline Christians (likelier than fundies to be using the NRSV anyway) who insist that conservation is unbiblical. (Obviously my acquaintances aren't a statistical sample.) It's not an argument that people make unless they're already invested in driving / mining / manufacturing as cheaply as possible, hang the costs!, for totally secular reasons.

Oh, and Howl, yeah, that "maintain our way of life" got my attention, too. Still fighting the fucking Civil War.

Yep, her name is really Twinkle, and she's an ass backwards bitch! I am so ashamed of my state and public officials right now. Alabama's primary sources of energy are hydroelectric and nuclear. Alabama also ranks in the top 10 when in comes to using renewable energy. Twinkle is on the side of the big coal companies. It's that simple. It has nothing to with lifestyle or God.

Do actual public, government employees use religious references like that a lot in the south? I know that politicians in my state will throw out the occasional God or prayer reference, but I would think just regular admin type people weren't allowed to do that, in an official capacity. I can't imagine some regular old bureaucrat doing that -- unless it was some huge natural catastrophe was barreling down and they said something like " I will pray for the victims" - and even that would be a stretch.

Edited because it's freaking impossible to write a coherent statement on an iPad.

In the NRSV God gives Adam dominion over everything in the Garden.

I don't know any mainline Christians (likelier than fundies to be using the NRSV anyway) who insist that conservation is unbiblical. (Obviously my acquaintances aren't a statistical sample.) It's not an argument that people make unless they're already invested in driving / mining / manufacturing as cheaply as possible, hang the costs!, for totally secular reasons.

Oh, and Howl, yeah, that "maintain our way of life" got my attention, too. Still fighting the fucking Civil War.

Oh, right, dominion, that was the word. IIRC, fundies take that to mean, "God made it our own speshul playspace where we can do WHATEVER we want, with NO consequences," while more mainline Christians (at least the ones I tend to hang around) take a "with great power comes great responsibility" approach.

Do actual public, government employees use religious references like that a lot in the south? I know that politicians in my state will throw out the occasional God or prayer reference, but I would think just regular admin type people weren't allowed to do that, in an official capacity. I can't imagine some regular old bureaucrat doing that -- unless it was some huge natural catastrophe was barreling down and they said something like " I will pray for the victims" - and even that would be a stretch.

Edited because it's freaking impossible to write a coherent statement on an iPad.

Here in Alabama it happens all the damn time.

If God put the coal there as a resource for everyone, why are they charging people money for it? Shouldn't they just be giving it to them?

Do actual public, government employees use religious references like that a lot in the south?

Every state has its idiot politicians.

I should know. We've got Boehner.

Here in Alabama it happens all the damn time.

In Kansas, lately, it happens all the damn time too. Our governor had people blowing Shofars in government buildings while he signed some gubenitorial statement recognizing how important Israel is to Kansas (yeah... ok) a couple of years ago. Not to mention his evangelical weekends.

myemail.constantcontact.com/Israel-kansas-Proclamation-signed-at-Pastors-Briefing-.html?soid=1105980875049&aid=9ryOxWAzcwM

Even standing room was at a premium!

At 9 a.m. Joel 2 was read, and the shofar sounded throughout the corridors of Memorial Hall, the building that houses Kansas Secretary of State and Kansas Attorney General.

If God put the coal there as a resource for everyone, why are they charging people money for it? Shouldn't they just be giving it to them?

I'd love to hear their response to this. I can't imagine what kind of bs they'd come up with to justify not charging. I think there are some states where it's illegal to pull over to the side of the road and "mine" the coal sticking out of the mountain. Someone from the area correct me on this if I'm way off.

Archived