IGNORED

It's not Voddie as in "body" --

MamaJunebug

Maugham makes sense if you think about the way that you pronounce Vaughan. And I figured out that the 'ch' in Bauchaum was a 'k' sound. I never learnt proper English phonics rules though.

Knowing the Algonquin gang, if the story is true, he or she was just looking to make a wisecrack, and probably already knew how to pronounce "Maugham."

I see your point about "Vaughan" -- some name pronunciations make sense in the context of other names and words in a particular language or culture. But really, how a name is pronounced can be up for grabs, since it's such a personal thing.

Now I'm thinking of Tom Lehrer's line - "I am reminded at this point of a fellow I used to know who's name was Henry, only to give you an idea of what an individualist he was he spelt it HEN3RY. The 3 was silent, you see."

Add to that the fact that English breaks its own rules constantly, and I try never to assume how an uncommon name is pronounced if I am going to meet the person.

Since I hope never to meet Voddie Baucham, I guess it didn't occur to me that I was mentally mispronouncing his name. :D

In my experience with spoken English, a vowel followed by double consonants is usually pronounced with a short sound.

YES.

At my office are women named Jannie (pronounced "Janie"), Ammie (pronounced "Amy"), and Adriene (pronounced "Adrienne"). Makes me wonder whether their mothers slept through first grade phonics.

I also heard of a pair of little girls named Ema and Ela (pronounced "Emma" and "Ella") because their mother thought it was "stupid" to add "an extra letter that doesn't mean anything."

The Robotkins sing:

Oh, Miss Jasmine Baucham,

You're bringing us down.

We’ll cry as we watch you

In your wedding gown.

Will we find our headships?

We certainly try.

But Geoff won’t approve of

Just any old guy.

To find the right dude, this whole world we’re willing to roam.

But you needn’t go far away,

Because your dad brought Phil Holmes to your home!

Oh, Miss Jasmine Baucham,

Do you just have luck?

Or is it that your dad

Is less of a schmuck?

Did Voddie do well? Oh, Voddie, do tell!

Can Voddie find fellas for us?

:worship: :cracking-up: :worship: :cracking-up: :worship:

Ohhhhhhhh, thoughtful--you got teh mad skillz!

Is Voddie an actual name, I always presumed it must be a nickname for something, as I couldn't believe someone would name their kid that.

I always thought it was pronounced like body, which made me think of vodka, which coincidentally is what I want to drink a lot of when I listen to him speak.

Archived