IGNORED

What is wrong with TLC? Blast from the past lineup

homeschoolmomma1

I missed the Duggar-thon -not that would have watched much (or any) of it anyway, but I'd sorta have liked to caught a bit of Pecan Thief and Pris's wedding. I'm watching TCM who is actually showing movies about the Revolutionary War including 1776 at 1:30. I love that movie! Tonight at 8, TCM is starting a month of movies about WWI hosted by retired General Wesley Clark. One of the older brothers of my recently deceased grandmother-in-law was killed in France in 1918. I think Nanna was all of two years old.

One of the biggest travesties is that Animal Planet now shows programs about hunting. I pretty much only watch My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet now.

When MTV and VH1 (and CMT/TNN) actually had music-related shows, when A&E actually had Arts and Entertainment (I miss the Hornblower era), and the Food Channel would actually show you how to cook things, instead of competition shows with irrelevant-to-real-life contests.

At least Discovery still has Shark Week, although I wonder how long it will last.

And cable companies wonder why fewer people bother with cable anymore.

I never cared for A Baby Story. At the end of the day, every birth was 99% the same. Seeing doctors order Pitocin for women who states up front no drugs, and who said after they with it hadn't been done, but oh well, started turning me away from going to a hospital for birth, so I guess there's that.

And I refuse to call it "SyFi" At least in Canada it's called "Space" (or at least was the last I heard)

SciFi. Short for Science Fiction. It made sense at the time. It changed to SyFy (said the same way) when everyone asked why the hell wresting was on a science fiction channel. Okay, so wrestling is fiction, but it's not science.

SciFi. Short for Science Fiction. It made sense at the time. It changed to SyFy (said the same way) when everyone asked why the hell wresting was on a science fiction channel. Okay, so wrestling is fiction, but it's not science.

It's the Huked On Fonix spelling that makes me go.... :snooty:

And cable companies wonder why fewer people bother with cable anymore.

I never cared for A Baby Story. At the end of the day, every birth was 99% the same. Seeing doctors order Pitocin for women who states up front no drugs, and who said after they with it hadn't been done, but oh well, started turning me away from going to a hospital for birth, so I guess there's that.

I agree Baby Story got old after a while. At the end, you saw was the mother in labor with the privates blacked out.TLC used to have baby specials occasionally that showed everything. PS. You mean picotin?

I always thought it was changed because 'SciFi' is a generic term and cannot be copyrighted, but the funky spelling 'SyFi' can be...

I miss Trading Spaces.

I also watched all those real life ER type shows. They air those on Discovery Health now so it's okay.

there is so much crap on tv. I wish we could pick individually the cable channels we wanted instead of having to take everything in the package.

National Geographic Channel is another network that seems to have changed.

I haven't watched Animal Planet in years. I liked those Animal Cops shows for some reason.

I noticed that tonight, TLC is showing the old Duggar specials, including "14 Kids and Pregnant Again." It's the ones where they still wore those frumpers.

And I refuse to call it "SyFi" At least in Canada it's called "Space" (or at least was the last I heard)

Space is pretty repetitive. They do a lot of marathons. The only reason why I keep it is because they show Doctor Who (which, oddly enough, isn't on BBC Canada). Discovery Canada is okay, most of it is the same as US programming, though they do have some How It's Made marathons and Canada's Worst Driver/Canada's Worst Handyman.

SyFy here is wall to wall Star Trek.

We have actual BBC for Dr Who and Gold for classic Dr Who.

I always thought it was changed because 'SciFi' is a generic term and cannot be copyrighted, but the funky spelling 'SyFi' can be...

Yes, that is why.

SyFy airs some utter dreck, but also has some pretty good actual science fiction programming. Face Off is fun, Defiance is an excellent throwback sf drama, my roommate speaks highly of some of their other dramas like Continuum, Eureka, and Warehouse 13, and Total Blackout is one of my favorite guilty pleasures EVAR. This is of course interspersed with an assortment of wrestling, shitty ghost hunting shows, and B movies like Sharknado and worse.

I too miss the days when channels actually showed programs in keeping with their names. God, I'm ancient and cranky.

Archived