IGNORED

Lifetime movie: Outlaw Prophet, Warren Jeffs, Michelle MERGE

mastercleaner

So on June 28th, lifetime has a movie out called Outlaw Prophet Warren Jeffs.

Tony Goldwyn from Scandal plays Warren, he doesn't look as gangly skinny creepy but he sure looks menicing!

It'll be interesting how they do this movie.

So on June 28th, lifetime has a movie out called Outlaw Prophet Warren Jeffs.

Tony Goldwyn from Scandal plays Warren, he doesn't look as gangly skinny creepy but he sure looks menicing!

It'll be interesting how they do this movie.

:crying-yellow: nooooooooooooooo

i've had an inexplicable crush on Tony Goldwyn since i was a preteen.. something about him just does me in, mbe it's how he seems to get emotion across without overacting. (even his cameo on Frasier as Roz's trash collector beau was awesome, the last bit about her running after the truck to keep giving him kisses was totally understandable)

seriously this Warren Jeffs role is going to mess with my mind. :lol:

OK found a clip here mylifetime.com/movies/outlaw-prophet-warren-jeffs/video/outlaw-prophet-warren-jeffs-preview-clip

I see one snippet of him grabbing his wife's hair & pulling her back. I forget which book I read it in, but evidently he actually did this to one of his wives during a school assembly at Alta Academy.

argh I wish I still had cable!!!!!:(

I was watching the new movie tonight Stolen from the womb and saw that preview. Already have the dvr set to record it. I have some neighbors who left the flds after shit hit the fan with jeffs. They still wear the long sleeves dresses and do the hair the same way. Which is nuts with it being 105+ degrees out for the rest of the summer (I'm in Arizona)

I watched it earlier and it was pretty good. The movie was based on the book When Men Become Gods by Stephen Singular and it seems that Rebecca Muser was a consultant. I'm watching the documentary Beyond the Headlines and Rebecca was one of the people interviewed.

I will check to see if it is available on HuluPlus tomorrow. An actor friend plays an elder in one of the scenes. Like many others I have found the FLDS fascinating in a creepy, train wreck sort of way. I have read half a dozen books on them and YouTube has a number of free BBC documentaries on polygamy.

One of the better books was actually via the mainstream Mormon church. It is the first title in "The Work and the Glory" series. I had to go into a Mormon bookstore to find it, but it is an interesting look at the origins of the religion and how plural marriage got introduced into the mix to begin with.

The ladies in the book store were very polite and helpful but I was obviously not their standard type of customer. I was kindly grilled to within an inch of my life, so I stuck to my Catholic roots. No point in scaring them into next week. ;)

Did anyone watch the Lifetime TV made for TV movie about Warren Jeffs last evening, then the after show about Jeffs in real life? The similarities between Gothard Teachings and FLDS Jeffs teachings is spooky. What really got to me was when Jeffs told his compound honeys to " stay Sweet or be Sweet." It seems to me I have heard Michelle Duggar tell her girls that . Also being submissive was also a big part of the Jeffs teachings- ala Gothard Teachings and Michelle Duggars thinking and teaching her female children to be submissive. The whole thing freaked me out and if Gothard isn't a cult leader neither is Jeffs, and Jeffs in prison for sexual abuse of minors. These men such as Jeffs, Gothard, Bates, Duggar are all sick bastards the way they believe the female species should be subservient to their menfolk.

Did anyone watch the Lifetime TV made for TV movie about Warren Jeffs last evening, then the after show about Jeffs in real life? The similarities between Gothard Teachings and FLDS Jeffs teachings is spooky. What really got to me was when Jeffs told his compound honeys to " stay Sweet or be Sweet." It seems to me I have heard Michelle Duggar tell her girls that . Also being submissive was also a big part of the Jeffs teachings- ala Gothard Teachings and Michelle Duggars thinking and teaching her female children to be submissive. The whole thing freaked me out and if Gothard isn't a cult leader neither is Jeffs, and Jeffs in prison for sexual abuse of minors. These men such as Jeffs, Gothard, Bates, Duggar are all sick bastards the way they believe the female species should be subservient to their menfolk.

I didn't see the Lifetime movie about Warren Jeffs, but I have several books about Jeffs and the FLDS. That "Keep Sweet" line is used is various forms and phrases in many cults. In reality it translates to obey without thinking, because if you don't we will destroy you.

I watched it, too (actually thought I was the only one in America watching-presumed it was a repeat). I caught that "keep sweet" comment and thought of the Duggars immediately!!! There were other similarities-young girls becoming mothers, submissiveness, father then husband in control, education a low priority, obedience, conservative dress and hair styled the same. Creepy.

The big difference is that the FLDS don't evangelise. They just want to be left in isolation to live their lives as Heavenly Father's chosen people. So they aren't a danger to the world at large, only those unfortunate enough to be born into the cult.

Gothard, the Duggars and IFB fundies, on the other hand, consider evangelising a core part of their faith. That's why they push the Duggars forward as the pretty, relatable to, face of the movement. They actively seek converts and political influence in a way the FLDS never would.

I missed this movie. Maybe it's on OnDemand.

I think they're showing it in the wee hours of tomorrow morning.

The movie is on Lifetime it will be on a few more times.

It's already been show at least three times (since Saturday's premiere) on Lifetime in Canada. Just check Lifetime and chances are they will show it many many more times this summer.

There was once a comment on TWOP that there were books from FLDS United Effort Plan on the Duggars bookcase in the first special. They "purpose" to help others--i.e. the Bates in a way that looks an awful lot like a "United Effort" of sorts. Lots of Duggar stuff has gone off to the Bates--a van maybe, that lovely green table. A group of businessmen "just' bought Gil a bucket truck for his Tree Business. Funny, the Duggars used to own one of those. Families are always gathering for working sweet fellowship to "purpose together" to aid someone some how. Granted what we saw of the Bates house on TV was a lot of product placement and donations, but someone had to coordinate it all.

Polygamy is rumored to be happening in the more "off the radar" types of quiverfull families. I have not seen any proof, but as Old Testament focused as so many are it is not surprising if it is true.

Polygamy is rumored to be happening in the more "off the radar" types of quiverfull families. I have not seen any proof, but as Old Testament focused as so many are it is not surprising if it is true.

Wasn't it mentioned in one of the DPIAR threads that one of the more promenant SAHDs has become a sister wife? Any idea who?

Archived