IGNORED

AFA Boycotting Mail with Harvey Milk Stamp

FloraKitty35

I saw this on the Advocate's website and I had to share this gem.

http://www.advocate.com/politics/2014/0 ... amp-sender

(legitimate media outlet so I didn't break the link)

The American Family Association is urging people to send all mail with the Harvey Milk stamp on it return to sender. Cue Smuggar in 5...4...3...2..1 to support this campaign.

I see this backfiring on them monumentally, especially if this hits all of the mainstream news sources.

Everyone send them a letter (or 5) with a Harvey Milk stamp on it (and no return address)! :lol:

I used to receive (unsolicited, just so you know) the (free) AFA newsletter. I'd peruse it just to see what they were up to and generally-speaking, they came across as beyond self-important and blatantly homophobic. They would list popular tv shows and rate them as to their "Christian" compatibility. Interestingly enough, they liked Oprah (they may have changed their tune by now, though, as she's been more open about her unorthodox spirituality. I wouldn't know; I haven't received the newsletter in over 10 years and I'm NOT going to ask for it). I wondered even at the time whether her PR machine paid them off or something. Not that I'd fault Harpo for doing that, if that is really what happened, but I *would* fault AFA for their hypocrisy. But that is pure speculation on my part.

So if I pay my bills using a Harvey Milk stamp and they come back to me, does that mean I don't have to pay my bills? This "campaign" doesn't make sense to me -- usually (unless it's junk mail) the recipient of first class (ie hand-stamped) mail values receiving it at least as much as the sender does -- ie payment or important information enclosed. So returning to sender would put the recipient out more than the sender -- how is that a good plan? :cray-cray:

I went in to the post office of my extremely rural/conservative town yesterday and asked if they had any Harvey Milk stamps. She said she would have them for sale next week, and she got very curious as to my "interest" in them. Now, we all know each other around here, and the postmistress is somewhat of a friend, so I wasn't too put out, but I do love stirring this pot! :stir-pot:

This will be about as effective and meaningful as the Disney boycott. Religious conservatives trying to do grassroots activism is as embarrassing to watch as two teenagers sucking face in the checkout line of Dunkin Donuts.

Considering how the importance of mail has diminished, I can't see this having much effect...

There was a suggestion on Daily Kos the other day that people send in very small contributions like writing a check for a dollar to the AFA and putting a Harvey Milk stamp on the envelope,

I do have a couple of checks I need to mail soon so I'll have a good reason to use some of these cool stamps.

My husband and I were talking about doing just that. I would photograph the check, photograph the envelope, photograph putting the envelope in the mailbox, etc.

Then wait and see if the check is cashed. And photograph that (or the returned envelope.)

However, we can not agree on an amount. I want to do $5, in case they DO cash it. He wants to go a little larger, because even if they opened it, $5 wouldn't be worth it to them to get caught opening it. But there comes the impasse...if they DO cash a check for like $100, we have contributed to a cause we absolutely detest, and that is $100 we won't donate somewhere else. Also, we would get on their mailing list (and whoever they sell their lists to), which we absolutely do not want.

So...I guess we aren't going to do it, just on the off chance they do open it and cash the check.

I do hope someone else does it, though. I would LOVE to see a cashed check from an envelope with a Harvey Milk stamp.

How about finding a way to send those gold presidential $1 coins that are totally impractical for everyday life? I can't think of any other way I'm going to spend the Andrew Johnson coin I got at the renaissance fair the other day.

My husband and I were talking about doing just that. I would photograph the check, photograph the envelope, photograph putting the envelope in the mailbox, etc.

Then wait and see if the check is cashed. And photograph that (or the returned envelope.)

However, we can not agree on an amount. I want to do $5, in case they DO cash it. He wants to go a little larger, because even if they opened it, $5 wouldn't be worth it to them to get caught opening it. But there comes the impasse...if they DO cash a check for like $100, we have contributed to a cause we absolutely detest, and that is $100 we won't donate somewhere else. Also, we would get on their mailing list (and whoever they sell their lists to), which we absolutely do not want.

So...I guess we aren't going to do it, just on the off chance they do open it and cash the check.

I do hope someone else does it, though. I would LOVE to see a cashed check from an envelope with a Harvey Milk stamp.

Don't worry, someone has already done this!!

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/week-god-53114

(not breaking the link cuz it's MSNBC, hope that's ok!)

How about finding a way to send those gold presidential $1 coins that are totally impractical for everyday life? I can't think of any other way I'm going to spend the Andrew Johnson coin I got at the renaissance fair the other day.

Protip: money is money. Spend it anywhere.

Maybe this is why he package my mom sent me got lost in the mail.... I'm really pissed about the purple shoes.

Maybe this is why he package my mom sent me got lost in the mail.... I'm really pissed about the purple shoes.

Purple shoes? Yeah, I would be seriously pissed they got lost, too.

Archived