IGNORED

Steve Maxwell thinks people with disabilities are ungodly

SPHASH

How dare you, you mother fucking son of a bitch! There are people with disabilities who are a hell of lot more godly than you could ever hope to be. What will you say if you, your wife, or your kids become disabled? Will you hold that same belief? Don't think for one second you and your family are immune to becoming disabled? But you know what, I wouldn't wish that on you or anybody else. Which is more than I can say for you, you crazy fundie son of bitch. Fuck you Steve Maxwell...just fuck you!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Steve needs to reread the beginning of John 9?

As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2 His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?â€

3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,†said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.

I opened this thread with some trepidation, I must admit. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that Steve is one of those people that thinks having a disability and being unable to work is the exact same thing as being on a perpetual, lifelong vacation, where all you do is party all the time, have no responsibility and do whatever you want 24/7. WHEE!

Then there is...you know...reality.

I've had people tell me they wished they could stay home and do nothing all day like I do. I've had people say it must be fun to always be on a vacation. People think your time is worth nothing, because what else could you have to do other than whatever they want you to do, it's not like you have to work after all. People think they can ask you to do stuff on a moment's notice because naturally you have no plans and you don't have to go to/get up for work the next day. On and on and on.

There are some perks to not working outside the home. This might come as a shock to Steve and people like him, but I'd trade them in for not being in some level of pain 24/7, being able to walk unaided, being able to walk more than 20 feet even with canes, being able to take a bath and maybe surprisingly to some being able to work. As it is, I probably do more work in a day than Steve does. I don't spend all day polishing my cabinets and dusting ceiling fans ;)

What is Steve's job anyway? :evil-eye: (cult leader doesn't count)

What is Steve's job anyway? :evil-eye: (cult leader doesn't count)

I would love to see Steve's own MOTH schedule. Come to think of it, I'd like to see any of the Maxwell's daily schedules.

I cannot imagine what 7 grown people do in that house all day long.

Here is the other verse he quoted-And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him†(Colossians 3:17). 

Good old Stevehovah needs to correct his cranio-rectal inversion. My husband, who is disabled, would give ANYTHING to be healthy enough to work. It's not like he just sits on his ass and expects me to wait on him hand and foot...but we also know that Stevehovah had an issue with the fact that I went and got an education good enough to support us when he couldn't work.

Fuck you Steve...YOU are the fucking ungodly asshole. Just remember..."Not everyone who says to me Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of Heaven"...your place in the heavenlies is FAR from assured...asshat.

When Melanie had to go on bedrest and couldn't work, was she ungodly? Course not cuz she is a Maxwell!

Franklin Delano Roosevelt was in a wheelchair and became leader of the free world for 12 years. He was also governor of NY prior to becoming president and founded the March of Dimes. Is he a lazy bum Steve?

What a miserable sack of crap. God judges you on how you treat the least of men dipshit - you're failing miserably here.

Um, isn't Anna's sister disabled?

Um, isn't Anna's sister disabled?

Yes, she is visually impaired. I believe she has other issues as well.

I bet my friend with spina bifida would love to have a nice long conversation with him. She is graduating college soon and despite being in a wheelchair, she is on a basketball team, goes to ballroom dance competitions, in a leader in several local groups for disabilities awareness/advocacy, and has a hell of a lot more going for her than all 8 of Steve's adult-babies combined.

I was thinking along these lines too. I imagine the vast majority of people with physical disabilities actually are out in the world more, have more friends, have traveled more, and have developed more hobbies than any of Steve's children have.

And I imagine that's because most adults with disabilities have more personal autonomy and freedom than Sarah Maxwell does. Something to think about, Steve.

In this latest email he talks about how someone has to work to put food on the table, clothes on our back etc. And he tals about chores too-mow the yard, laundry etc. He uses this verse to back it up-And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it†(Genesis 2:15). He then asks if we would want to trade places with some who has is disabled and can't work. WTF! I'm all for working to earn a living, but to imply someone in a wheelchair or is mentally challeneged is ungodly is pretty shitty. At least that was my interpretation of it.

I went to the mom and dad corners to see if I could find the original wording (I thought someone had said the private emails get posted as Dad's Corner.) I can't find it. I really want to see the original wording because I'm not getting the same interpretation as you. Asking if we would want to to change places with someone who is disabled and can't work is not the same as saying someone is ungodly. There must be something more to his email.

I went to the mom and dad corners to see if I could find the original wording (I thought someone had said the private emails get posted as Dad's Corner.) I can't find it. I really want to see the original wording because I'm not getting the same interpretation as you. Asking if we would want to to change places with someone who is disabled and can't work is not the same as saying someone is ungodly. There must be something more to his email.

Yeah, hard to judge without the full context, but I'm not really seeing disabled-people-are-ungodly either. It sounds like he's saying that IF you are capable of working in the manner that he describes but you WON'T do it, then you are ungodly. He thinks you might change your mind about your willingness to do this work if you were disabled and literally couldn't it.

It's really a not-uncommon way of shaming people for perceived laziness, which doesn't really speak well of Steve (like almost everything else he does). He might also believe that people with disabilities are somehow being punished for ungodly behavior, but I think he's savvy enough to keep that to himself if it were the case.

I have to admit, I was kind of surprised to come to FJ and see this thread. I read the Seriously email on the go yesterday and remember thinking, "Nothing too snark-worthy there. Damn". I do think that Stevie was saying that people should feel grateful for their ability to do things. That his implication was that they were luckier than people who can't due to disability was certainly poorly written, but I guess that's what happens when you don't read- you write, and also when you don't have many (any) relationships beyond receiving the worshipful adoration of family members. Normal social courtesies are obviously not his forte.

But, still, I don't think that saying, "Thank God I can walk" implies that those who can't walk have nothing worth living for. I did not get that Steve was saying that the disabled were unGodly.

I've deleted it off my mobile (which, I guess, says volumes about its perceived value to my life) but will back to re-read on my laptop to see if I missed something.

“And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it†(Genesis 2:15). “Dress†in the Hebrew means “to serve or work.†Man was put on this earth to serve and work. What is our attitude regarding work? So many people have disabilities and cannot work. Would we want to trade places with them?

This is the paragraph in question and it's very different from what I was expecting also. He's far from saying the disabled are ungodly.

The whole thing can be read here along with all the previous emails: dads.titus2.com/

I don't think he was saying the disabled are ungodly, but it does sound like he assumes that those reading his e-mails are completely able-bodied. He's also assuming the disabled don't work or aren't capable of any sort of work.

I think he's certainly biased against the disabled, but it doesn't come across to me that he thinks they are ungodly.

I'm glad I had the sense to grab a nice cold beer before reading this thread, because I knew it would make my blood boil. He should form an Unholy Trinity with Glenn Hoddle and Iain Duncan Smith, with his attitude.

That is the way I interpreted it. People who are disabled must have done something to deserve it or are faking it. That's the way I thought Steve was thinking.

I wonder what Stevie would think about the Swiffer ad where the amputee dad is cleaning the ceiling fan with a Swiffer duster thingy.

Poor wording and condescending, but I don't read this as saying that people with disabilities are ungodly. I read it as "be thankful that you at least have the ability to work even if you don't always want to do it."

Now, he's assuming that his readers aren't people with disabilities, suggesting that disabled = unable to work and is using the horriblly smug approach of "aren't you grateful that you aren't like THEM?" None of that is good, but it's not the same as saying that people with disabilities are ungodly.

This is the paragraph in question and it's very different from what I was expecting also. He's far from saying the disabled are ungodly.

The whole thing can be read here along with all the previous emails: dads.titus2.com/

I guess it shows how differently people interpret things.

I take from it that some jobs are boring but somebody has to do it, as per the title and in Maxhell it's best to do it with a happy clappy Jesusy heart. When you are bored mindless with the inane jobs that have to be done would you rather trade with a disabled person who has no choice? I don't get the other inference. It's kind of a common thing to say or think really...not earth shattering. Kind of like the starving kids in Africa speech every time as a child I did not finish my dinner.

Bit patronising and smug...but not really offensive.

I wonder what Stevie would think about the Swiffer ad where the amputee dad is cleaning the ceiling fan with a Swiffer duster thingy.

That the woman is a worthless whore who doesn't do anything and they're both going to hell for being in an interracial marriage anyway?

I doubt he would see it. Remember he considers TV as "The Beast".

Archived