IGNORED

Mother's Day at the Maxwell's

terranova

A new post up with a "fun twist" (aka: what they do for every birthday and celebration). Sarah asked each family member to write what they liked about Teri.

Does anyone else find it a bit weird that Melanie and Anna-Marie call Teri Mom? I certainly would never call my Mother-in-law anything other than her given name. My Mother is the only one I call Mum.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least 3 of them used the term "invest" (as in, Teri invests her time into her kids). And of course, just about all of them talk about her love of Jesus.

I swear, have any of them ever had an original thought?

I wonder if NR Anna and Melanie got to spend any time with their mothers or even call them today.

I wonder if NR Anna and Melanie got to spend any time with their mothers or even call them today.

Or if Teri or the "men" even wished THEM a Happy Mother's Day.

Does anyone else find it a bit weird that Melanie and Anna-Marie call Teri Mom? I certainly would never call my Mother-in-law anything other than her given name. My Mother is the only one I call Mum.

My mother called my grandmother "mom". I think it had to do w/ the fact that my mother's mom died in 1983. But I don't think I would do the same thing.

At least 3 of them used the term "invest" (as in, Teri invests her time into her kids). And of course, just about all of them talk about her love of Jesus.

I swear, have any of them ever had an original thought?

No, Stevehovah would never allow that. :naughty:

My mother called my grandmother "mom". I think it had to do w/ the fact that my mother's mom died in 1983. But I don't think I would do the same thing.

I know people who call their in laws mom and dad. Older Greeks used to call their mothers "mama" and their mother-in-law "metera", which is the formal word for mother.

We let them drink whatever they want on Mother's Day. ;). Hell, my own mother let her hair down today and had a Sprite.

My mom is Mom, my MIL was Mama. My dad always called his MIL Grandma. I have no idea what he called her pre-kids. So, no, I don't think it's too strange. And given these are the Maxwells, it's on the far left side of their "spectrum of strangeness").

No mention of Mel and Anna. They are both Mothers, too. A much nicer post would have had a picture or Teri, Mel, and Anna with a nice Mother's Day greeting and note of how Steve, Nathan, and Chris were making a nice dinner for everybody.

Melanie's family lives nearby, and they spend time together regularly. I don't know about Anna's family. It seems as if she never gets to see them, but perhaps she does and the Maxwells do not mention it on their blog. (I wonder how both sets of in-laws get along with Steve and Teri?)

No mention of Mel and Anna. They are both Mothers, too. A much nicer post would have had a picture or Teri, Mel, and Anna with a nice Mother's Day greeting and note of how Steve, Nathan, and Chris were making a nice dinner for everybody.

A mention of Gigi and Steve's mom would have been nice, too.

Melanie's family lives nearby, and they spend time together regularly. I don't know about Anna's family. It seems as if she never gets to see them, but perhaps she does and the Maxwells do not mention it on their blog. (I wonder how both sets of in-laws get along with Steve and Teri?)

We know they have nice smartphones, so I'm hoping they get to do what I do - dial up distant family members with the headphones in (with speaker), put phone in pocket, just chat while cooking or whatever else. No video or anything fancy, just random chat while working, only very far apart. Hands free, we're both chopping vegetables or whatever boring tasks, but chatting, just as if we're in the same room.

Steve says "I am grateful for her love of me." Who the fuck phrases a sentence like that? Why not say I am grateful that she loves me.

^Lillybee, in order to phrase that sentence normally, Steve would have to make Teri the subject of a clause, which would require admitting that she's a separate person with thoughts of her own. His stilted grammar betrays his shitty thinking.

A new post up with a "fun twist" (aka: what they do for every birthday and celebration). Sarah asked each family member to write what they liked about Teri.

My mother called her MIL "Mom." (My mom is much more simpatico with my father's family than with her own.) So that doesn't seem strange to me.

The fact that they appear to have no idea what the word "fun" means, OTOH-- that I find alarming.

I refer to my MIL as mom too, because my own mom died almost 15 years ago. She's been in my life for almost 21 years, and she's amazing. She's never tried to replace my mom, just be there for me just like my own would have been. My husband jokes that she likes me better than she likes him.

I've always thought it was very sweet of mothers of grown children to remember their daughters (and daughters-in-law) on Mother's Day once the grandchildren started to arrive. It's nice to remember those who are in the busiest phase of motherhood. Neither my mom nor my mother-in-law have ever wished me a happy mother's day, but instead have always expected me to make it about them. So, I was kind of hoping to see Teri remember her daughters-in-law today too. Melanie and Anna both seem to be very good young mothers. I hope their families appreciate them.

I wonder what the Maxwell men did for their wives. Any guesses?

Sweet fellowshipping

Sweet fellowshipping

Only Christopher and Anna though. Melanie's already pregnant.

Only Christopher and Anna though. Melanie's already pregnant.

Do they not have sex during pregnancy? I would think they'd be okay with that.

We certainly know Boob and J'chelle are....

I've always thought it was very sweet of mothers of grown children to remember their daughters (and daughters-in-law) on Mother's Day once the grandchildren started to arrive. It's nice to remember those who are in the busiest phase of motherhood. Neither my mom nor my mother-in-law have ever wished me a happy mother's day, but instead have always expected me to make it about them. So, I was kind of hoping to see Teri remember her daughters-in-law today too. Melanie and Anna both seem to be very good young mothers. I hope their families appreciate them.

I got very sweet cards from my own mother and MIL this week for my first Mother's Day (and sent them both cards, too). I saw my folks on Saturday, and Skyped with my in-laws Sunday, since they live 1,000 miles away and are missing a lot of their grandchild's "firsts."

Do they not have sex during pregnancy? I would think they'd be okay with that.

We certainly know Boob and J'chelle are....

Most fundies seem fine with sex within marriage whilst the wife is pregnant. They see sex as part of god's design to keep couples close. Plus, if pregnancy sex was prohibited QF husbands would have to be celibate for most of their lives, especially Gothardites who follow the proscriptions on sex for a set period after childbirth. And we all know how badly married men need regular sex in fundie land.

Not a mother, but I call my MIl and FIL Mr (His first name) and Ms (Her first name) , because that is what feels comfortable to me. My father in law constantly makes overt comments trying to get me to call them mom and dad, but quite honestly my relationship with them has not always been very smooth ( they are fundie light and their heads about exploded when their son decided to marry an unbelieving, heathen Catholic such as myself. My MIL actually stormed out of the restaurant.) Just their first names didn't sound respectful enough to my southern ears.

I call my future mother in law mom. I call my own mother Ma/Mother as always. Lotta people do.

Archived