IGNORED

Parents, children, and political ideologies

wayward

When my parents start in with religion or politics, my family walks out. The first time I did it, my mom called me yelling and screaming about how rude I was. I said "call me back when you are ready to communicate like an adult" then hung up on her. It took several times of me hanging up for her to call back and speak nicely. I then informed her that I do not bring my children around people who are racist, sexist, or homophobic, so I was happy to debate politics if she wanted, but she would act civilized or we would leave. I've only had to do it a few times, my parents appear to be learning. I don't associate with most of my extended family due to their political beliefs. They know exactly why, too. I don't expose my children to racism, sexism, or homophobia any more than I can help it. Anyone who has an issue with that can fuck themselves, family or not.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is slightly off topic but does anyone know who this guy is?

On the other side of the spectrum is John Wilder, a marriage and relationship coach in Jacksonville, Florida. He’s leaned conservative since working as a child: He noticed that earning his own way in life boosted his self-esteem. What really made the difference was when he became religious. Wilder became passionately pro-life. He formed a group called Christians for Life and led a movement that helped convince the Southern Baptist Convention to renounce its pro-choice stance.

It sounds as if John Wilder has some influence but I don't think that I have ever heard of him and I can't find much on the internet.

Ohmy! I understand you so much. It's the same way with my extended family, especially my father's side of the family. Since the age I was able to have my own political opinions, most of my family gatherings have been like that. I felt the exact same way. Sitting there and having to hear them rant about this and that (I'm Canadian, so my family doesn't rant about Obama but you get it! :D ). It's tiring. And I might sound full of myself, but I often feel like I'm taking the higher ground by choosing not to argue with them. Because I feel if it was the other way around, they wouldn't be so tolerant with me.

same here! I'm tolerant,they would not be.they aren't anyway.

My family thinks it's wrong to vote straight party,but that is only bc they don't like the party *I vote for.But yet they tell me they don't for for democrats.that's pretty much straight party then,if you ask me.a libertarian or independent here and there doesn't really balance that out,overall,if that's how they're voting.

Archived