IGNORED

Lori Alexander / Anna T connection?

I just noticed the Anna T's last two blog posts:

ccostello.blogspot.com/2014/04/a-readers-response.html

ccostello.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-burden-of-guilt.html

They were both commented on by Lori Alexander. I was not aware the two knew were in contact. I guess it stands to reason Lori would enjoy reading the postings of a fundie Jew who shares many fundie Christian tendencies. And the two are in agreement about the evils of feminism.

The last few Anna T posts have focused on the horrors of working women. I know Anna's husband is once again "looking for a job" so it makes me wonder if Anna's feeling guilty/pressure to find a job until things settle financially for them. The last time she made so many successive postings about evil working women was a few years ago when she had to take a part time job after her husband lost his (he seems to have trouble keeping a job down....?).

Thoughts?

Ok, THAT explains Lori's post about finding contentment at home! The stuff Lori posted didn't make any sense to me, even by Lori's standards, as I honestly couldn't picture raising chickens or putting up a garden or crocheting when I was living in a small apartment and we were having trouble surviving on one income.

For Anna, those things are more feasible and might actually make a contribution. To give a bit of credit where it's due, Anna is at least living what she preaches, while Lori is giving advice on frugal living when she's never done it herself. Anna can be preachy, but she's toned it down slightly over the years and she will at least acknowledge that reality exists - that some women, including her when her husband lost his job, actually need to work to put food on the table. You're right, it does read a bit that a conversation that she's having with herself.

That said, while I don't want to get political, I've got to point out that having that kind of outdoor space comes at a price. In Israel, which is long and narrow, the only affordable rural land near cities is in the West Bank.

Ok, THAT explains Lori's post about finding contentment at home! The stuff Lori posted didn't make any sense to me, even by Lori's standards, as I honestly couldn't picture raising chickens or putting up a garden or crocheting when I was living in a small apartment and we were having trouble surviving on one income.

For Anna, those things are more feasible and might actually make a contribution. To give a bit of credit where it's due, Anna is at least living what she preaches, while Lori is giving advice on frugal living when she's never done it herself. Anna can be preachy, but she's toned it down slightly over the years and she will at least acknowledge that reality exists - that some women, including her when her husband lost his job, actually need to work to put food on the table. You're right, it does read a bit that a conversation that she's having with herself.

That said, while I don't want to get political, I've got to point out that having that kind of outdoor space comes at a price. In Israel, which is long and narrow, the only affordable rural land near cities is in the West Bank.

I didn't realize that, although what you say makes sense given the general population density of that area. I guess it also puts into context Anna's fantasy of coming upon empty parts of land that she can just claim.

I didn't realize Lori was talking about raising chickens and such. Anna T is raising chickens and I think she wants to grow a garden. I think these ideas are popular with fundies because they are "feminine" pursuits and allow women to earn money without threatening hubby's "headship".

I think Anna's gotten less militant with her working women stance, but she's still very judgmental. believe her recent posts are a way to express her own feelings (perhaps subconsciously) towards staying home while watching husband struggle with his job situation. She's trying to acknowledge the natural urge to want to help but telling herself doing so would only make things worse.

Her posts have focused on how the mother's income is insignificant, how working worsens home life or would be wasted on frivolous things. I find this last bit offensive, as if women are too stupid and selfish to want to spend money on feeding children or paying the mortgage.

It's also ironic that Anna would talk about the stresses of dual income households when she's obviously under stress worrying about money! Too much work is just as bad as not enough money.....

Lori is making the blog rounds lately. She made a crazy (read: typically Lori) comment on Kelly's Korner recently when Kelly, a Christian-but-not-really-fundie SAHM, posted about going back to work part-time for the next few months.

Anna T has complained of Christians who post "Jesus is the only way"-type messages on her blog. I wonder how long Lori could resist.

I really start rolling my eyes about Anna's theories about the two income life that if women stayed home and didn't work they somehow wouldn't need a car (maybe you can go car less in isreal but thats not really possible in most of the us) or buy clothes (pretty sure all sahms have to buy clothes too) . Also in Anna's world all men like working long hours because they are ambitious.

I really start rolling my eyes about Anna's theories about the two income life that if women stayed home and didn't work they somehow wouldn't need a car (maybe you can go car less in isreal but thats not really possible in most of the us) or buy clothes (pretty sure all sahms have to buy clothes too) . Also in Anna's world all men like working long hours because they are ambitious.

Yeah, Anna also talks about how if women worked, she'd be spending all her money on buying lunch for herself and dinner for the family, because working parents don't cook (or all SAHM cook from scratch). Plus, women are selfish with their salary and buy stuff for themselves to pay for their obvious depression of having to work.

In her recent diatribe, she mentioned that if a woman worked, the men still can't cut back his hours, which then nullifies the point of women working to alleviate stress for the husbands. I think she misses the point here. If a woman works, she may offer more flexibility for the man do venture into a less stressful job, or to provide cushion for the family finances. I just think she's really scrambling to find excuses for why women should never, ever work. I wonder how her mother, a single mother and engineer, would think about her daughter's opinion.

You know, the working long hours comment made me laugh because in one of her comments, Anna called working 45-50hrs/week long hours. Uhm, don't know what its like in Israel, but in the US, that's just working full time :lol:.

I'm not surprised Lori is contact with Anna T. Lori gets excited any time any woman preaches against the horrors or working women. I remember Lori praised Sharon Osbourne, after Sharon said in some interview that she wished she had worked less in the past and spent more time with her kids.

Archived