IGNORED

Employer-Provided Health Insurance for Headships Only?

Ralar

Hobby Lobby's case, in which they argue that they should not have to provide coverage for contraception, will be argued before the Supreme Court this week. Is their argument against providing contraception only the beginning? If they prevail, will they then argue that their beliefs require them to provide insurance only to headships? It has happened before . . . . .

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/03/23/3417404/when-religious-liberty-was-used-to-deny-all-health-care-to-women-and-not-just-birth-control/

My concern on all this goes beyond just what Hobby Lobby feels about contraception. If it's ruled legal for Hobby Lobby not to provide contraception because of their beliefs, what keeps a CEO for any company making a similar argument, such as 'We don't hire women because it's against our company's belief that women should be stay at home wives/mothers', 'We don't pay attention to environmental regulations because we think that God will fix it', or 'We think if someone gets hurt on the job is the will of God, so we won't pay for your recovery'. It becomes a convenient out. And I don't feel that most CEOs are above using the 'beliefs' line simply to save money.

And yet Hobby Lobby provided contraception for their employees before it became mandated by law. becketfund.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Hobby-Lobby-Complaint-stamped.pdf (#55)

The fundy lite school I taught at only started using the same pay scale for male and female teachers in 1997. Prior to that, men were paid more. A single female teacher threatened to file an EEOC complaint; they claimed they could discriminate due to being a religious school until their lawyer informed them otherwise. I fear that if Hobby Lobby wins, some fundy organizations could reinstate separate pay scales and claim it as religious exemption

The good thing that may come out of this, if they win, is that it could pave the road for Citizens United to be overturned.

The good thing that may come out of this, if they win, is that it could pave the road for Citizens United to be overturned.

Goodness, I sure hope so.

Hobby Lobby's case, in which they argue that they should not have to provide coverage for contraception, will be argued before the Supreme Court this week. Is their argument against providing contraception only the beginning? If they prevail, will they then argue that their beliefs require them to provide insurance only to headships? It has happened before . . . . .

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/03/23/3417404/when-religious-liberty-was-used-to-deny-all-health-care-to-women-and-not-just-birth-control/

ouch.I hope they don't prevail.I would hope O care would make sure everyone is covered.For everything.yes.inc. contraception.

I know currently there are exemptions based on religion,meaning they can use medical sharing..like Samaritan Ministries.So I hope it doesn't expand any further than that.

And Hobby Lobby could care less...this is all about $$$.

Ugh! My tea-bagger uncle had something on his FB about this. It said something about standing w/HL & for religious freedom. It also said something about abortion-causing drugs, sterilization and contraception. I commented that I was so glad I didn't have to consult w/ my boss about having my tubal ligation. He hasn't answered.

I just don't understand the 'religious freedom' angle. Doesn't the woman who is working the register have freedom to choose? What if her religion (if any) says it's cool? I'm really hoping the SCOTUS rules against this, because I just think it's going to open a whole can of worms.

Ugh! My tea-bagger uncle had something on his FB about this. It said something about standing w/HL & for religious freedom. It also said something about abortion-causing drugs, sterilization and contraception. I commented that I was so glad I didn't have to consult w/ my boss about having my tubal ligation. He hasn't answered.

I just don't understand the 'religious freedom' angle. Doesn't the woman who is working the register have freedom to choose? What if her religion (if any) says it's cool? I'm really hoping the SCOTUS rules against this, because I just think it's going to open a whole can of worms.

True, nevermind that women pay their premiums so HL is trying to dictate how their employees money is spent. I might sympathize if they covered the whole tab, but I'm sure the employees pay a steep premium compared to their salary.

And yet Hobby Lobby provided contraception for their employees before it became mandated by law. becketfund.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Hobby-Lobby-Complaint-stamped.pdf (#55)

What changed? Why are they in court fighting to not provide it anymore if they don't want to?

What changed? Why are they in court fighting to not provide it anymore if they don't want to?

Let me guess - it's because Obama is a scary Kenyan Muslim Atheist baby-killer and BLAAAAAAAACK.

They claim that they didn't know they were covering it. I rather suspect they're using this to make some kind of a point against "Obamacare" and dredge up even more hysteria amongst tea partiers.

They claim that they didn't know they were covering it. I rather suspect they're using this to make some kind of a point against "Obamacare" and dredge up even more hysteria amongst tea partiers.

They didn't know they were covering it? Hmm, that sounds suspect to me.

Just found out one of HL's lawyers (not the lead) is a constitutional law professor locally (Mizzou). My state is getting stranger and stranger.

When I was first married (1976) in Texas I had to show my marriage license along with a permission slip from my husband to get the pill, then to get approved for our first house we had to show that I was on birth control to get approved because I was the higher wage earner-Count was a Med Student. I hope to HELL that we do not return to that!!!! Tea Party want the government out of our life why do they want to control my vagina? :angry-banghead:

When I was first married (1976) in Texas I had to show my marriage license along with a permission slip from my husband to get the pill, then to get approved for our first house we had to show that I was on birth control to get approved because I was the higher wage earner-Count was a Med Student. I hope to HELL that we do not return to that!!!! Tea Party want the government out of our life why do they want to control my vagina? :angry-banghead:

That completely blows my mind! :cray-cray: Did you have to get a report from your doctor about you being on birth control for your house? Cuz you could have never ever took the pill if you didn't want. And what if your religion didn't allow you to be on the pill. There would be some hell to pay if I was ever "ordered" to be on any type of birth control. You are a better person than I to not loose your shit on whoever wanted that information. :angry-banghead:

blows my mind too! holy cow...now anyone who thinks the teabaggers won't stoop to this level is wrong...they will! if given the chance,they'd make sure only the ones THEY want to reproduce will be able to do so.and prob. would,since I also think they would block b/c for those whom they desire to reproduce.(white fellow fundies).that is OMHO so no flaming,pls.

That completely blows my mind! :cray-cray: Did you have to get a report from your doctor about you being on birth control for your house? Cuz you could have never even taken the pill if you didn't want. And what if your religion didn't allow you to be on the pill? There would be some hell to pay if I was ever "ordered" to be on any type of birth control. You are a better person than I to not loose your shit on whoever wanted that information. :angry-banghead:

That's insane!!

So, if they win, the Jehovah's Witnesses will be able to block coverage for transfusions. Perhaps they'll even start picketing at the local blood bank. oh, and push for legislation barring any hospital performing transfusions or transplants from receiving federal funding. I'm moving to Belize.

That completely blows my mind! :cray-cray: Did you have to get a report from your doctor about you being on birth control for your house? Cuz you could have never even taken the pill if you didn't want. And what if your religion didn't allow you to be on the pill? There would be some hell to pay if I was ever "ordered" to be on any type of birth control. You are a better person than I to not loose your shit on whoever wanted that information. :angry-banghead:

There was a question on the mortgage application if I was Birth Control and when we were planning to start a family, I wish I still had a copy of that application I don't. Here is the rub regarding birth control in Texas during that time-if I was over the age of 21 and single I could obtain birth control on my own however once I got married I had to get my husband's approval to obtain birth control. When I was in nursing school there we all went to OK to get birth control when we were under the age of 21, because we could. On another note men were not allowed to attend the nursing school that I attended.

I'd bet my entire life savings that if a man wanted a vasectomy, not only would it be covered, but his boss wouldn't even consider being consulted before the decision was made. This whole birth control issue seems to exclusively apply to women. For some odd reason, men think we are children and not adults capable of making medical decisions about our own bodies. The sad thing is, I'm more productive, hard working, mature, and responsible than a lot of men in this country. Why are guys that can't get their lives together thought to be capable of making their own medical decisions, but I am not?

YES that above! I've often said that if men had babies,abortion wouldn't even be an issue.at all.and neither would birth control.I bet even Jim Bob would shut his mouth then.Nobody would ever question anything a man wants.

And if men had babies,the newborn nursery would be clear on the other side of the hospital.After all,no one would ever expect a MAN to take care of a baby after going thru all of that!

I'd bet my entire life savings that if a man wanted a vasectomy, not only would it be covered, but his boss wouldn't even consider being consulted before the decision was made. This whole birth control issue seems to exclusively apply to women. For some odd reason, men think we are children and not adults capable of making medical decisions about our own bodies. The sad thing is, I'm more productive, hard working, mature, and responsible than a lot of men in this country. Why are guys that can't get their lives together thought to be capable of making their own medical decisions, but I am not?

Back in the mid '60's my dad had to get my signed permission to have a vasectomy. Don't know if it's still that way.

Archived