IGNORED

You ever heard of the Snakes of the Virgin Mary?

finleeport

During the 1700s, pirates once attacked and sacked the monasteries of Cephalonia island, Greece, and would rape the nuns. When the pirates came again, the nuns ran back to the church and prayed to the Virgin Mary. when the pirates entered the convent, what they found were snakes hissing around the floor, they had crosses on their foreheads and tongues; they were really the nuns whom the Virgin Mary transformed to escape from the murderous intents of the pirates. The snakes come every year on August 15th, which honors the dormition or falling asleep (death) of the Virgin Mary.

It is said any who harms these snakes would suffer misfortune, as they belong to the Queen of Heaven.

This may sound like a campfire tale but I did watch the Greek news channel and there are snakes that appear in that church in Cephalonia every August 15, there's even a documentary about it titled The Holy Snakes of the Virgin Mary

Kinda serves as a biblical irony, Eve was tempted by a serpent after all, and yet Mary turned the nuns into snakes to escape from the pirates

It may sound crazy, but that's what happened. Today on August 15, the Greek News channel just showed me the snakes slithering around the silver icon of the Virgin Mary. People were touching and holding them for a few seconds because they didn't want to harm or bother them, since they are always surrounding icons of Mary

What do you mean by that?

Its ironic that the snake was seen as an agent of Satan to tempt a woman in the garden but in Greece they were supposedly used to protect women.

It's a cool story regardless. I like the thought of snakes getting positive press.

Here is something neat from wikipedia(okay not a great source). I wonder if some of the memory of the old goddess remain?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_Goddess

Snake Goddess describes a number of figurines of a woman holding a snake in each hand found during excavation of Minoan archaeological sites in Crete dating from approximately 1600 BCE. By implication, the term 'snake goddess' also describes the chthonian deity depicted, although little more is known about her identity apart from that gained from the figurines. Evans tentatively linked the snake goddess with the Egyptian snake goddess Wadjet

Info about the snakes from a Greek wildlife website.

http://www.herpetofauna.gr/index.php?mo ... 63&sid=142

RA6lz.png

Total length up to 100cm (usually smaller) in extremely rare cases, however, can reach 130cm. Mostly nocturnal snake. The pupil is slit-shaped (like cats), but in low light daughter opens up taking a round shape. Hunts among rocks and stones looking for lizards and small rodents also climbs smartly looking for chicks. Females lay 5-9 eggs which hatch usually in mid-August. Usually "whistles" if caught and pretends to be attacked, but very rarely will bite. * The teeth of delivering the poison is in the back of the upper jaw in a position which makes it impossible to be injected in humans. The poison acts effectively While the prey but does not cause symptoms in humans. Kefalonia used in religious traditions with ancient roots, when several snakes transported to the church of Panagia Lagouvardos the period 6 to 15 August and available to be touched by visitors believing that a miracle, hence the common name "Cat Snake." Completely harmless snake .

They're cute.

The snakes may attract tourists, but I bet the groundskeepers and janitors have had it with those motherfucking snakes in their motherfucking monastery.

The snakes may attract tourists, but I bet the groundskeepers and janitors have had it with those motherfucking snakes in their motherfucking monastery.

Actually the snakes disappear after August 15 and come back next year, well according to the story. I think they don't have groundskeepers in that Church, its not a very big church anyway

Its ironic that the snake was seen as an agent of Satan to tempt a woman in the garden but in Greece they were supposedly used to protect women.

It's a cool story regardless. I like the thought of snakes getting positive press.

Here is something neat from wikipedia(okay not a great source). I wonder if some of the memory of the old goddess remain?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_Goddess

A serpent tempted Eve in the garden, it wasn't until well after that part was written and translated (and translated again) that it became a snake.

Actually the snakes disappear after August 15 and come back next year, well according to the story. I think they don't have groundskeepers in that Church, its not a very big church anyway

The wildlife website says they're transported to the church. So, they're probably taken back to wherever they come from after the 15th.

What do you mean by that?

Basically what was said previously. Woman was tempted by the snake which has been the bane of women since religion was started and here are snakes protecting the church.

I am not a fan of snakes in any way shape or form. Heck I covered my eyes when the snakes came out in Harry Potter.

The wildlife website says they're transported to the church. So, they're probably taken back to wherever they come from after the 15th.

Aw, it admits they are transported? I'm kind of disappointed! I was hoping it was a real miracle!

I love snakes, and the Virgin Mary, and stories about men getting their comeuppance, so I love this thread!

Aw, it admits they are transported? I'm kind of disappointed! I was hoping it was a real miracle!

I love snakes, and the Virgin Mary, and stories about men getting their comeuppance, so I love this thread!

Aww man! Me too! The video news story I saw when I Googled it said the show up every 8/15 and let people handle them. Then they get touchy and aggressive and leave.

A serpent tempted Eve in the garden, it wasn't until well after that part was written and translated (and translated again) that it became a snake.

But serpents are snakes. And occasionally obsolete woodwind instruments.

But serpents are snakes. And occasionally obsolete woodwind instruments.

And in some translations of Revelations used in conjunction with "great dragon" to describe Satan during his fall. Then there is the whole seraphim being used to mean both the highest order of Angels that served God and serpents in various parts of the Bible...

If only Biblical comprehension were as easy as "serpents are snakes".

Archived