IGNORED

Fascinating Womanhood Documentary

Sister_Wife

Cjane shared this on her blog this week. A documentary based on the book Fascinating Womanhood by Helen Andelin. I've never heard of it, but it sounds like something that would get my blood boiling!

cjanekendrick.com/2014/02/c-jane-vlog-fascinating-womanhood.html?m=1

I'm hoping this doco will be available for viewing outside the US. It looks really interesting.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=play ... r_embedded

Edited to break link

*Barf*

I only have bad memories of Fascinating Womanhood. Unless it describes what a crash and burn that piece of dreck was, I don't plan on watching it.

I haven't read "Fascinating Womanhood", but it was mentioned in Carolyn Jessop's "Escape", I believe. Supposedly it gives advice along the lines of: women should install a dixie cup dispenser up-side-down, so that their husband would get the joy of correcting them, doing the work properly and getting to bask in the woman's praise for being such a manly DIY-type :cray-cray:

I haven't read "Fascinating Womanhood", but it was mentioned in Carolyn Jessop's "Escape", I believe. Supposedly it gives advice along the lines of: women should install a dixie cup dispenser up-side-down, so that their husband would get the joy of correcting them, doing the work properly and getting to bask in the woman's praise for being such a manly DIY-type :cray-cray:

People (other that the Duggars) install dixie cup dispensers in their houses?

*Dixie cups are a recent thing in Australia, on the rare occasions I use disposable cups i've found that they are fantastic compared to the squishy tiny things (no doubt better for the environment) that were pretty much the only option before.

Miffy, I had no idea what a dixie cup was, had to google it, I'm not American and have yet to see a paper-cup dispenser in a private home here in Denmark, not exactly "Danish Modern" :lol:

If anyone has read "Facinating Womanhood" please share more great advice on attracting and keeping a man, I'm curious to see if the dixie cup idiocy can be topped but I'm not going to spend money on it.

*Dixie cups are a recent thing in Australia, on the rare occasions I use disposable cups i've found that they are fantastic compared to the squishy tiny things (no doubt better for the environment) that were pretty much the only option before.

It's not common, but there are a significant number of people who use disposable plates/cups/napkins, etc on a daily basis. And they're not all hoarders with piled sinks, either.

Remember that discussion we had about food deserts and things that were too difficult, when people from multiple countries expressed the opinion that there are things you just do, even if they're hard? I think it comes down to that. While a Danish or Australian person expects things to be difficult or uncomfortable from time to time, an American has an expectation of ease and comfort. And not having to cook and do dishes is way easier and more comfortable.

But it's interesting, because in absolute terms an Australian will never have it as difficult or uncomfortable as an American might. For Americans being utterly broke and hungry is a real risk (friend of mine just lost her contract work, she gets zero welfare until her savings go below $2000, when food stamps will kick in). Maybe the belief that we're entitled to be comfortable is a reaction to that possibility?

Thoughts?

Miffy, I had no idea what a dixie cup was, had to google it, I'm not American and have yet to see a paper-cup dispenser in a private home here in Denmark, not exactly "Danish Modern" :lol:

If anyone has read "Facinating Womanhood" please share more great advice on attracting and keeping a man, I'm curious to see if the dixie cup idiocy can be topped but I'm not going to spend money on it.

Dixie cups, as I recall, were made for bathrooms, to use and toss thus reducing germs, avoiding use of glass where it could fall to the floor and break, to use for mouthwash, tooth brushing and pill taking. The dispensers were not common in the homes where I lived or visited as a kid, and I'd guess they are less so now. Here is a link to an ebay sale of the old style cups and dispenser.

.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dixie-5-oz-Cup-Dispenser-and-40-Cups-Spice-Collection-1984-Original-Box-/121259796823

That said, I didn't know anyone who installed a dispenser because how tacky to do so!! Dixie cup recognized that and developed a counter dispenser that didn't require installation and frankly, when I pull out the tiny glasses in winter, I just put a few in easy reach of each of our sinks in the master bath, stacked bottoms up to pull one as needed. Even this is rare.

I don't remember the dixie cup "thing" but there was a section in the book on women having their husbands open all jars and cans... including taking the can opener to the husband so he could open the can. A woman at our church talked about this and my 15 year old self said "You have your husband open all the cans when you cook?" She said "yes." I asked... "What do you do when he's not there?" "I open them myself. So, I asked "So you think he doesn't get that this is really artificial?" And she sort of thought about it and didn't have a good answer.

It's not common, but there are a significant number of people who use disposable plates/cups/napkins, etc on a daily basis. And they're not all hoarders with piled sinks, either.

Remember that discussion we had about food deserts and things that were too difficult, when people from multiple countries expressed the opinion that there are things you just do, even if they're hard? I think it comes down to that. While a Danish or Australian person expects things to be difficult or uncomfortable from time to time, an American has an expectation of ease and comfort. And not having to cook and do dishes is way easier and more comfortable.

But it's interesting, because in absolute terms an Australian will never have it as difficult or uncomfortable as an American might. For Americans being utterly broke and hungry is a real risk (friend of mine just lost her contract work, she gets zero welfare until her savings go below $2000, when food stamps will kick in). Maybe the belief that we're entitled to be comfortable is a reaction to that possibility?

Thoughts?

This is interesting. I don't remember the discussion here about food-deserts, but I did see a docu about it, that was really interesting, shame on you free market capitalism, for pushing out the small stores! (but that is a different discussion I guess..)

Your statement about "difficult and unfomfortable" is interesting to me, as it seems to reveal a fundamentally different approach to what would be considered "difficult and uncomfortable", I can't speak for Australia, having never been there, but here cooking a meal from raw ingredients every night (or at least most nights) is considered just a part of daily life, not a big deal and definitely not uncomfortable. Actually I think most people think of it as a rather pleasant thing to do, either as a way to relax after work or to do something fun with your family or friends, who ever you live with.

I think I've said it before, but I was really schoked the first time I was in the US, by how little natural excercise you get, driving everywhere, no real stairs only escalators, machines for every cooking- or cleaningtask, people don't even hang their laundry out to dry in the summer!

So it seems to me that you get "trained"(to use a good fundie-word) to view a lot of things as unpleasant, that to me is just a natural way to do things, I ride my bike 5 miles for work every day, walk to the store(yes, this has to do with city-living as opposed to rural living as well), walk the stairs, do my washing-up by hand and think long and hard before I let a new maschine into my home, no kitchen machines here, I knead, juice, blend, chop powered by my own muscles and really I see it as a way to avoid things I find unpleasant and uncomfortable: going to the gym!

I will have to think about your last theory, but there might be something to it.

I can't think of any reason I would install a Dixie cup dispenser in the house, but if I did and I put it in upside down, I'm fairly sure Docdad wouldn't even notice.

On the other hand, I do praise his manly removal of various live and dead rodents from the house.

Thoughts?

As an Australian, I find that a bit of a stretch. IME, Australians (the city dwelling ones at least) are just as used to comfort and convenience as the average American. The range of packaged foods might not be quite so big (although it doesn't seem far off) and online ordering might not be quite so cheap or efficient, but I can't say that I was in any way shocked the first time I went to the States. (Apart from the drive through banks, that was pretty interesting. We have far more drive through bottle shops though). In rural and regional Australia it's a different story, but I should imagine that life out in the sticks is comparatively rough in the US too.

Tiptoeing into the thread to shamefacedly say that I have a 3 oz dixie cup dispenser in my bathroom, attached firmly to the wall. It came with the house, which we bought back in the 80s, and if I could find another one, I'd buy it and install it--right side up!--in the other bathroom! It really is a handy thing to have for the very reasons Salex mentioned.

I have to add that other than in the bathroom (where the dispenser is in a very inconspicuous spot, by the way), we almost never use disposable cups or plates. I also wash all dishes by hand, and hang my laundry on the clothesline whenever I possibly can. :lol:

And I open almost all my own cans and jars, so I guess I'm not a very fascinating woman. :nenner: :laughing-rolling:

I think it was also supposed to be a passive-aggressive way of getting the husband to never ask the wife to do such "manly" work again.

I think it was also supposed to be a passive-aggressive way of getting the husband to never ask the wife to do such "manly" work again.

What my parents taught, through example and through advice, and what they told the woman at our church who was pushing this BS on us was that if a woman marries a man who is capable, able, loving and authentic, she does not have to fake ways to show him respect, nor does she have to pretend to be helpless in order to be wanted and appreciated herself. The woman argued with my dad on this (she thought I should never let anyone know I drove a tractor on our farm).

In the long run, her way would never have worked for me, as I'm not at all good at artifice or faking things. So I did find the capable authentic man who is unthreatened by a woman who can drive a tractor or open a jar !!

I hate-read Fascinating Womanhood back in my early feminist days (mid '70s). Trust me-- the cup dispenser thing is the LEAST objectionable thing in the book. By far.

Tiptoeing into the thread to shamefacedly say that I have a 3 oz dixie cup dispenser in my bathroom, attached firmly to the wall. It came with the house, which we bought back in the 80s, and if I could find another one, I'd buy it and install it--right side up!--in the other bathroom! It really is a handy thing to have for the very reasons Salex mentioned.

I have to add that other than in the bathroom (where the dispenser is in a very inconspicuous spot, by the way), we almost never use disposable cups or plates. I also wash all dishes by hand, and hang my laundry on the clothesline whenever I possibly can. :lol:

And I open almost all my own cans and jars, so I guess I'm not a very fascinating woman. :nenner: :laughing-rolling:

We had one of the counter ones when I was growing up. It was my chore to make sure it was always full before we had overnight guests. I've seen the wall-attached ones, too, but to my knowledge never owned one.

We had one of the counter ones when I was growing up. It was my chore to make sure it was always full before we had overnight guests. I've seen the wall-attached ones, too, but to my knowledge never owned one.

We had a wall-mounted Dixie cup dispenser in the kitchen and every bathroom when I was a kid, the original primary colored cups with the white chevron stripe around the top. Disposable was all the rage in the 50s. Paying the price now, that's for sure. Eep. Mr. Sparkles and I also had one way back in the 80s, also a wall mount and installed...upside down. By Mr. Sparkles.

My usual free download sources are failing me but I'm dying to get my hands on a copy of FW, which I'm sure I'll regret after I tear out what little hair I have.

We had the tiny dixie cup dispensers in our bathroom for rinsing our mouths out after brushing our teeth. That was the only place we ever used them, though, apart from at big picnics or cookouts.

We had a wall-mounted Dixie cup dispenser in the kitchen and every bathroom when I was a kid, the original primary colored cups with the white chevron stripe around the top. Disposable was all the rage in the 50s. Paying the price now, that's for sure. Eep. Mr. Sparkles and I also had one way back in the 80s, also a wall mount and installed...upside down. By Mr. Sparkles.

My usual free download sources are failing me but I'm dying to get my hands on a copy of FW, which I'm sure I'll regret after I tear out what little hair I have.

Maybe he was trying to fascinate you?

We have a Dixie Cup dispenser installed in our house too. I think it was put in during the 70's and 80's. We never use it but have never taken it down. Maybe they were really popular back then?

As a kid we had a countertop one for the little Dixie cups used with mouthwash (it was better for little kids than having us pour into those tiny bottle caps). If I remember correctly, having a wall mounted one was THE cutting edge in the mid to late 80s. I've never seen one in an American kitchen for full size disposable cups and you really don't see them in bathrooms much at all anymore.

Oh man I remember this book. It basically assumes that every male is an appalling ego maniac and the only way to make them happy is to manufacture ridiculous situations in which to fawn over their manliness and play up your fragile femininity. It made sense to me when I was an insecure teenager and I spent plenty of time trying to find ways to put it into practice...and I nearly ended up with a guy who acted very grossed out when he saw me without makeup and curled hair. Thankfully even back then, steeped in fundie BS my good sense said "RUN the other way!" and I did...and ended up married to a man who does not need or want me to stroke his ego. And who miraculously doesn't cheat or stray despite my ability to change a lightbulb without him. ;-)

Alright, another Australian here who had to google Dixie cup to work out what everyone was talking about. I don't think I have ever seen one of these in a home, right side up or upside down. IF ?!?? I ever installed anything upside down it would not give my husband the opportunity to correct but instead would give him fodder for teasing me about being incompetent.

Alright, another Australian here who had to google Dixie cup to work out what everyone was talking about. I don't think I have ever seen one of these in a home, right side up or upside down. IF ?!?? I ever installed anything upside down it would not give my husband the opportunity to correct but instead would give him fodder for teasing me about being incompetent.[/quote]

Which would accomplish the same thing, in their eyes-- declare the obvious superiority of men over women. Sort of like the ideas about "women drivers"

Archived