IGNORED

No 2014 dog and pony show for the Maxwells yet....

Justme

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve uses the same excuse to cut out most activities for his family. It's all about not letting someone else usurp the father's role in the family. That means youth ministers, teachers, coaches, friends, family friends etc. The way Steve sees it, anytime a child is not with his family but with another adult, that adult will take over and fill the child with non-Steve approved ideas. Therefore, sports, youth ministry, schools, friends are all out.

Also, Steve believes every day should be spent worshiping God. If it's not doing something for Christ, then it's not worth doing. That wouldn't be so bad if he didn't also have a narrow definition of what constitutes working for God.

The Maxwells like to live in an artificial bubble where no one comes near them unless it's under their control. They invite guests over to their homes, they go on tours for their conferences. They preach at the nursing ministry in Steve led ministry. There's not many activities where the family has to follow someone else' schedule. Even their jobs are self-employed. A job with a company would mean working on the company's schedule, being forced to deal with non-Maxwell approved people. The only reason the Maxwells have resorted to a homeschooling conference is because their own touring has run out of steam. The family is dependent on making money from their ministry so they have to attend some conferences to pimp their stuff. I look forward to the day the family's ministry just runs out of steam. Will Steve just retire? Or will he find another fundie niche to fill?

I think Steve will go to any church that will have him. I looked up a couple of the churches they went to last time and they had different beliefs. One believed and was adamant that the gifts of the spirit (healing, speaking in tongues, prophecy) only existed during Jesus's time and no longer exist today. The other one did not believe that. I don't think Steve cares as long as they host him.

I thought they had stayed for a service before but I can't remember the details.

I agree with this. The church they came to here had very limited beliefs in common. It is an southern baptist church, but has an incredibly active your program, sports, scouts, contemporary Christian music in services, female employees, encourages college for all. Think more lazy lyndsie, but with education than the maxwells. And def is cool with birth control, vasectomies and tubal ligation.

So here is my feedback on the attendees at the conference I skipped into and told him off a few years ago. I am very familiar with the church that it was at and have been there heaps of times for weddings, funerals, plays, scout things, whatever. About 70% of the audience was in dresses only with lots of kids and were probably familiar with the maxwells. MOTH is a popular thing with homeschoolers, even ones who aren't as rabid as the maxwells.

Homeschooling is very popular in my area and given a lot of stuff going on with our school districts it has increased. I think the other 30% were in it for the wholesome family homeschool image.

Straight theology, the maxwells and Germantown baptist are probably in agreement. But from a practical application of that theology, they are pretty far apart.

I read this as something like "fuckin" and was racking my brain to thing how something like sex could even be a part of the whole Maxwell existence, when I realized you just meant fun.

:cray-cray: :cray-cray: -

In Maxhell sex is only fun for Stevehovah. :music-tool:

In Maxhell sex is only fun for Stevehovah. :music-tool:

Nah, I think he probably looks on sex as dirty and full of guilt because he's satisfying his lustful needs and because he MAY have enjoyed it in it's less godly forms at some point (c'mon, the guy was stationed in Thailand. Bangkok basket job anyone?) but it's his duty, his responsible to be fruitful and multiply. What's the male version of "lie back and think of England?"

What's the male version of "lie back and think of England?"

We should ask Davy the Pecan.

They've given their dog'n'pony at a privately funded library that is owned debt-free, and I would not be surprised that lots of the smaller churches at which they've presented are similarly without mortgage. True, the utilities and upkeep are costly, but in my experience many churches offer their meeting rooms free of charge for non-profit groups. Think Alcoholics Anonymous and other 12-step programs, garden clubs and musical hobbyist groups, among others. Freewill offerings are very much appreciated, as is good use of the facilities, but most churches think of things like this as community services, jmho.

It's occurred to me that the Ministry To The Elderly serves even more purpose than saving souls and keeping the wife and children free of pesky things like seminary-trained preachers of the Gospel: By having the family band warble at the oldies every week, Steve & Teri keep their kids on display (good for the egos, even if the kids aren't supposed to have any), and keep them busy for at least some of their waking hours with practice sessions, instrument maintenance, etc.

On a related note, I remember back in the day when the Harry Potter books were still being released, I was an active lurker on a Lutheran message board about general theology issues. Arguments developed over "Harry Potter: Good Read Or Devil's Work?" and finally someone appealed to the message board owner, a pastor and quite a character. His response: "I really wish nobody would read anything but the Bible, but if I must make a statement, the Potter books are just fantasies and shouldn't jeopardize anyone's salvation."

"read nothing but the Bible"????? I stopped participating shortly after that. The very idea just seemed so ... ungodly! :cray-cray:

Was googling the Maxwells and found a post on the blog RaisingServantsForChrist. I'm sure it's been discussed here before but it's a new find for me. Wow, that woman is a Terie wannabe. She wants the Maxwells to tell her everything to do every second of the day. And exactly how to homeschool. She doesn't want to think for herself at all. I feel sorry for her kids! (And don't hate me for the blog not being linked or not linked the right way, on my mobile).

Was googling the Maxwells and found a post on the blog RaisingServantsForChrist. I'm sure it's been discussed here before but it's a new find for me. Wow, that woman is a Terie wannabe. She wants the Maxwells to tell her everything to do every second of the day. And exactly how to homeschool. She doesn't want to think for herself at all. I feel sorry for her kids! (And don't hate me for the blog not being linked or not linked the right way, on my mobile).

I've seen this woman's blog before. She's even more obsessed with the Duggars than she is the Maxwells.

When she found out Jessa was courting she did a google search on the guy to make sure he was Godly enough for Jessa. Then sent him a list of questions she had for him!

She does read books other than the bible though, including Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings , surprisingly.

And she admits she does not get up at dawn and read her bible.

I'll give her credit for being a foster parent, and she really seems to care about her foster kids as well as her bio kids.

I just looked at the family list and boy is it a strange collection of families we follow here. Maxwells and Noah Sanders at the same place, along with the Alexanders and McDonalds. Odd.

I've seen this woman's blog before. She's even more obsessed with the Duggars than she is the Maxwells.

When she found out Jessa was courting she did a google search on the guy to make sure he was Godly enough for Jessa. Then sent him a list of questions she had for him!

She does read books other than the bible though, including Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings , surprisingly.

I'll give her credit for being a foster parent, and she really seems to care about her foster kids as well as her bio kids.

That is really creepy. Imagine finding out that someone you don't even know had looked up your boyfriend and questioned him to make sure he is good enough for you.

I think the churches are probably just not completely aware of all of Steve's beliefs. They probably see the veneer,

I don't think the churches sponsor these visits. I'm guessing it's mostly groups of homeschoolers, with one or more members having some connection to the church, who invite the Maxwells to come and probably even pick up the tab for the rent on the facility. Most churches are willing to rent out their facilities to other organizations, as long as your organization believes the same thing as their congregation does, so, no, you can't rent the sanctuary for your wiccan cross-quarter rituals.

She's obsessed with the Bates', too. Creepy, creepy, creepy stalker lady.

Agreed, that is creepy especially sending questions to a total stranger about his suitability to marry another total stranger.

She sounds as crazy as Palin stalker Kristy Patullo.

Man, if this is the sort of thing Jessa has to deal with, I wouldn't blame anyone for just not wanting a courtship until the family fades from the spot light a little bit.

Archived