IGNORED

The Song "This Old Man" made creepier

Pandora Moon

I was just looking at The Purtian Board and reading this thread puritanboard.com/f32/resources-teaching-children-hymns-81598/

about teaching children hymns and one of the members recommended Jamie Soles saying that her 3 year old was singing these lyrics:

“This old man, he played three, he put me across his knee, with a nic nac whack a smack, give the kid the rod, this old man’s obeying God.†:pink-shock:

I thought this was shocking so I typed the lyrics into Google and discovered the name of the song and found the rest of the lyrics here:

solmusic.ca/wells/

However you will have to scroll down quite a bit to see them so I'm going to copy and paste them here:

This Old Man (revised)

© Jamies Soles Apr 2000

This old man, he played one

When I was a wayward one

With a knick-knack, whack-a-smack

Give a kid the rod

This old man’s obeying God

This old man, he played two

He knew what he had to do…

This old man, he played three

He laid me across his knee…

This old man, he played four

I knew what I had in store…

This old man, he played five

OW! That makes me feel alive…

This old man, he played six

He cured me of all my tricks…

This old man, he played seven h

He wants me to go to heaven…

This old man, he played eight

Do it now, it will not wait…

This old man, he played nine

He laid nine on my behind…

This old man, he played ten

I will not do that again…

Yeah... the rest of the lyrics aren't any better. Poor kids :cry:

Is this sung to the same children's rhyme I learned as a child?

This old man, he played one,

He played knick-knack on my thumb;

With a knick-knack paddywhack,

Give the dog a bone,

This old man came rolling home.

Jamie Soles is the creator of the song in the OP's post and I agree that is a sickening song. On the bio of his site, he says that he follows Reformed Theology. He has seven children.

solmusic.ca

I honestly don't see how anyone can interpret the narrator of the song saying "OW! That makes me feel alive" in any non-sexual manner. Hey, Jamie Soles - your kink is not my kink. (Though this is my second FJ comment about BDSM in the past 24 hours, bizarrely enough.)

This old man

He played two

He played knick knack on my shoe

With a knick knack paddy whack, give the dog a bone

This old man came rolling home.

I think on seven, he does play knick knack up in heaven.

:pink-shock: :angry-banghead: :wtf: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-fire: :angry-screaming:

How can anyone do that to a child, then fuck up a silly old song to make it violent and sickening, then HAVE THE CHILD SING IT?!

Is this sung to the same children's rhyme I learned as a child?

Jamie Soles is the creator of the song in the OP's post and I agree that is a sickening song. On the bio of his site, he says that he follows Reformed Theology. He has seven children.

solmusic.ca

Oh so THOSE are the real lyrics! I used to think it went "he played nick nack on my bun/bum."

On the topic at hand... I am too disgusted for words.

I honestly don't see how anyone can interpret the narrator of the song saying "OW! That makes me feel alive" in any non-sexual manner. Hey, Jamie Soles - your kink is not my kink. (Though this is my second FJ comment about BDSM in the past 24 hours, bizarrely enough.)

Exactly what I was thinking.

Not sure which is more appropriate, bug-eye face, the barf smiley or the eyeroll.

One upside to singing such a song is the parents haven't 'properly trained' their so-called blessings to keep quiet about what's going on at home and maybe a mandated reporter will hear the child singing it and send Child Services down on the parent's asses.

I just can't with these fundies and their obsession with corporal punishment. Bad enough they do it at all but I could understand occasionally snapping and losing there temper and hitting even though that's still abuse. But the insistence that ALL parents MUST purposefully inflict physical pain upon ALL minor children legally in their care in order to produce compliance, and this is the ONLY good, effective, 'godly' way... It's not just that they employ 'spanking' as one of a variety of tools. It's that they lobby so hard for it, instead of bending over backwards to avoid striking their own children.

One upside to singing such a song is the parents haven't 'properly trained' their so-called blessings to keep quiet about what's going on at home and maybe a mandated reporter will hear the child singing it and send Child Services down on the parent's asses.

According to the woman who recommended that song on the purtian boards thread I linked to doesn't see it like that as she says:

LOL I figured nobody but Christians would know what giving the ‘rod’ was anyway, so let him sing to his hearts content.

I don't know about anyone else but I figured it out pretty quickly!

I'm becoming more convinced that modern Reformed Christianity is just a white fertility/child beating cult. I don't even think the original Puritans were this obsessed with corporal punishment.

According to the woman who recommended that song on the purtian boards thread I linked to doesn't see it like that as she says:

I don't know about anyone else but I figured it out pretty quickly!

Some people are so stupid, they go and assume everybody else is. Sheesh.

I think people will connect that the words "whack," "smack," and "rod" are related and fill In the blanks, assuming that they haven't heard the ever popular "spare the rod spoil the child" comments that, at least at one point, were very popular in mainstream society.

Archived