IGNORED

Jesus is a white man according to Fox news.

doggie

Ann Coulter says Jesus is sort of beige.

cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2013/12/18/pmt-ann-coulter-black-santa-jesus.cnn&hpt=hp_c3&from_homepage=yes&video_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F#/video/us/2013/12/18/pmt-ann-coulter-black-santa-jesus.cnn

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, race is largely a social construct, so what you "see" is largely a reflection of how you categorize people. Obviously, physical characteristics exist, but these don't always line up with how we categorize people into races.

By the standards of my community, some who looked Turkish (picture Dr. Oz) would still be seen as white. Same thing for some North African or Middle Eastern descent. In the US, Hispanic is seen as a separate category, but here it isn't. [My great-aunt was an Ashkenazi Jew born in Montreal, but she was taken to Cuba as a toddler and later married a Cuban man. Many people who knew her simply thought of her as Hispanic - she had a Spanish-sounding name, spoke the language, was part of the culture, etc. It's sort of strange to think that she would have been put in a different racial category than her full-blood sisters.] My kids had a sudden moment when they saw the movie Hairspray when they realized that their grandfather wasn't white (he's Iraqi but looks Indian). Now, it's not like they can't see skin tones, but they just realize that there are different backgrounds in the family and these show up differently in each of the siblings and cousins. Also, in our particular community, there's a taboo against marrying out of the faith, but Jews of all backgrounds are considered part of the same group so it's not generally thought of an as intermarriage. [This may be different elsewhere, but my community is a mix of Ashkenazi, Sephardic and Mizrachi.]

Archived