IGNORED

When A Good Thing Goes Into Crazyville

debrand

There is nothing wrong with pushing yourself or going on an adventure. If you want to bond with your child, that is wonderful! However, Vision Forum's branch of Hazardous Journey's takes a good idea and goes overboard with it.

hazardousjourneys.org/blog/2013/08/its-time-to-act-like-men.php

First of all there is the name...why is going to Alaska considered acting like men. Do these folks not realize that women can and do live in Alaska?

Over the course of ten days, the men were exposed to biblical principles of leadership, including the HJS themes of Christian manhood, appropriate risk to meet challenges, and the doctrine of dominion, with its emphasis on the Lordship of Christ over all of creation

Why? They can't do this at home? Is it somehow more godly to discuss leadership and taking over the world if you are in the middle of the wilderness?

There is a photo of all the men doing pushups in the wilderness...again, why? They talk about carrying packs, wading through frozen water, climbing rocks and yet they still feel the need to prove their manliness to each other by doing pushups. Is there some magical, manly power in pushups?

The entire website is interesting to read

hazardousjourneys.org/blog/2013/07/militant-incursion-restricts-hjs-team-movements.php

The group's plans are disrupted by a civil war so they visit the house of a Burmese historical figure and judge his library has being worthy of a heroic man.

/hazardousjourneys.org/blog/2013/11/mongolia-team-expedition-report.php

Last week, expedition leader Preston Cavner launched the Hazardous Journeys Expedition to Mongolia. The team has embarked on a journey through time as they explore the ancient land of the Kahns, decipher hieroglyphic ruins, and explore with camel herd

How do they decipher hieroglyphics if they don't have the educational background to do so?

It is pretty crappy that daughters can't join the expeditions. But I guess that girls get to shave their dads so that is something. :evil-eye:

Is Hazardous Journeys folding because it is a part of Vision Forum Ministries? Maybe the polar bears will be safe for another day.

I think the Vision Forum Ministries website said all events associated with it were canceled, including Hazardous Journeys. Of course, it would be no surprise if Doug (Phillips who is a tool) reinvents it so that he can continue to take free vacations and have manly romps with manly men take dominion over polar bears and anacondas.

Because Doug Phillips is a tool.

The entire website is interesting to read

hazardousjourneys.org/blog/2013/07/militant-incursion-restricts-hjs-team-movements.php

The group's plans are disrupted by a civil war so they visit the house of a Burmese historical figure and judge his library has being worthy of a heroic man.

/hazardousjourneys.org/blog/2013/11/mongolia-team-expedition-report.php

How do they decipher hieroglyphics if they don't have the educational background to do so?

It is pretty crappy that daughters can't join the expeditions. But I guess that girls get to shave their dads so that is something. :evil-eye:

Regarding the rather creepy You Tube video people here linked to with Doug and daughter singing a duet together; I found the speech he gave before they sang together so sad.

In it, he said his daughters often told him they'd like to go on one of his Hazardous Journeys trips. That they'd like to climb mountains and camp in the wilderness.

How sad that they are being raised in a household that doesn't allow these things, simply because they are girls.

I am hoping that his daughters will see through all this man worship and take control of their own lives. There is no reason that his daughters couldn't go on these fun adventures with their dad.

I am hoping that his daughters will see through all this man worship and take control of their own lives. There is no reason that his daughters couldn't go on these fun adventures with their dad.

Or their mom.

Or their mom.

Come now, Beall got to experience her own adventure in Peru while the men were squeezing anacondas. She got to study ancient Peruvian textiles. What amazing fun!

I agree. I hate to imagine how I'd feel if told I couldn't do something because I'm female, whilst my brothers get to.

I also agree that they aren't as special as they think. Mr Flojo and I love to travel, and lived in Asia for a few years. As a result, we have been to a lot of the "Hazardous" places Dougie and his manly men have, without the handholding of a "society". In fact, because we travelled differently before we met, I have been to more "hazardous" places than Mr. Flojo AND have a vagina. Mindblowing.

I am also more educated than Mr. Flojo, and in the last year earned significantly more than him (although now I'm back in school, and not working because of immigration rules). Before that, our incomes were equal to the cent. This didn't erode his identity as a man at all, and I would rather be married to him than any vision forum tool.

Come now, Beall got to experience her own adventure in Peru while the men were squeezing anacondas. She got to study ancient Peruvian textiles. What amazing fun!

(ducks because studying ancient textiles would be my idea of fun)

All of this. I was brought up in a traditional middle-class family in the '50s and '60s, and was never subjected to this kind of sexism! We girls went fishing and played ball and hunted for toads the same way the boys did (and also played with dolls and learned to cook and sew).

(ducks because studying ancient textiles would be my idea of fun)

All of this. I was brought up in a traditional middle-class family in the '50s and '60s, and was never subjected to this kind of sexism! We girls went fishing and played ball and hunted for toads the same way the boys did (and also played with dolls and learned to cook and sew).

No reason to duck. Studying ancient textiles is lovely thing if you have the choice

...while the men were squeezing anacondas.

I know most FJers are female, but wouldn't this be a wonderful post count title...

I spent some time on this website, and the biggest thing that struck me was how much the "manhood" video reminds me of Sigur Ros's video for viðrar vel til loftárása (its a really pretty video, even if you don't think they are alike)

http://vimeo.com/37457215 <- Dougie's very straight, manly video

akYuy2FMQk4 <- Sigur Ros's video

Hey. Some of us spin, knit, crochet and weave. I would have loved the opportunity to study ancient Peruvian textiles and talked to historians and anthropologists. Too bad it was wasted on Beall.

There is nothing wrong with pushing yourself or going on an adventure. If you want to bond with your child, that is wonderful! However, Vision Forum's branch of Hazardous Journey's takes a good idea and goes overboard with it.

hazardousjourneys.org/blog/2013/08/its-time-to-act-like-men.php

First of all there is the name...why is going to Alaska considered acting like men. Do these folks not realize that women can and do live in Alaska?

Why? They can't do this at home? Is it somehow more godly to discuss leadership and taking over the world if you are in the middle of the wilderness?

There is a photo of all the men doing pushups in the wilderness...again, why? They talk about carrying packs, wading through frozen water, climbing rocks and yet they still feel the need to prove their manliness to each other by doing pushups. Is there some magical, manly power in pushups?

Push ups contain the power of erections.

Push ups contain the power of erections.

Reminded me:

My kids go to judo. Little kids don't know how to do push ups properly, mostly they lock their arms and push their hips up and down.

I'm now having a mental image of hazardly manly men, in the woods, humping the ground.

Reminded me:

My kids go to judo. Little kids don't know how to do push ups properly, mostly they lock their arms and push their hips up and down.

I'm now having a mental image of hazardly manly men, in the woods, humping the ground.

Maybe humping the earth somehow proves that a man is heterosexual. Of course, it sounds non Christian, sex with mother earth and all that, but if that is the way that they want to prove their manhood, I guess that I shouldn't judge. I won't judge but I will laugh.

Archived