IGNORED

Feelings on WWASP schools/programs?

silverspoons

The WWASP was formed by an LDS man in southern Utah in the late 80's and spread to a worldwide system (from what I have seen almost 100% run by southern Utah Mormons that all have connections if you look close enough). It changed quickly from a small school with a handful of kids that attended public schools to a large very profitable organization that moved to remote locations.

Since the school dealt with "troubled teens" some people say the allegations are just "bad kids" that didn't want to follow rules, while other stories from survivors of the programs describe torture (that make Gothard's programs look like Disneyland).

I have a spent a few days reading the blogs and websites and connecting the dots. It was easier to do since most of these big wigs gave lots of $$ to Mitt during the last election. Almost all the schools had closed because of abuse, neglect, or worse. Can multiple countries and the FBI be wrong? I wouldn't think so?

I have met most of the big players casually over the last 10 years. I'm most concerned because I had a very creepy/chilling encounter with one of the men on the "most wanted" list a few days ago. He now is my child's teacher! I am not worried about my child for reason I don't want to post but my child is 100% safe or I would make a change. I just want any opinion or stories anyone has heard about these places. My husband is torn, between some abuse happened and some are just stories but I tend to believe most of the stories. These people telling the stories are college educated adults with families and are not trying to sue, they are trying to bring awareness. Many have taken on jobs or volunteer with abused kids and seem to be very passionate about the cause.

I would be happy to post links but I did not know what is appropriate. It you search under WWASP schools, or WWASP survivors, there are plenty of links and stories. be warned some are very harsh.

Maia Szalavits wrote a very well-documented book about this topic a few years ago, and there's quite a bit about WWASP in it: [link=http://helpatanycost.com/]Help At Any Cost[/link].

Thanks! found a cheap used company on amazon since I'm pretty sure our public library wouldn't carry it:)

The more I read the more I can't believe how tangled this LDS group is in southern Utah. How rich the one ward has become splintering off to all areas of the world and doing this to kids. The LDS church is sure very powerful on a local level, some great networking.

I have no idea if these are the same schools, but several friends of my kids were shipped off to "residential treatment schools for troubled teens about ten years ago. They were all in Utah, and all of them had horrible stories to tell. Didn't seem to make them any less troubled, that's for sure.

Archived