IGNORED

Doug (is a tool) and betrothal

uber frau

I haven't really read Jen's Gems properly. I find it all a bit of a hard slog, especially since it sends me straight back to the crap we had to learn when I was growing up in Calvinist Fundiedom, but I was reading the comments after an interesting one was posted in the other thread and I came across these:

Jen Says:

June 24, 2007 at 7:47 am

Hutch, the fact that RC, Jr. and Doug Phillips are friends at all often baffles me. And the fact that their children are promised to each other baffles me even more! These guys are SO different from one another.

Jen Says:

June 24, 2007 at 11:47 pm

I only have time for a quick comment tonight. The boy and girl in question are 14 and 13 years old. I don’t really know any more details and we never discussed it at BCA.

Has anyone heard this before? I'm guessing the children being discussed are J-Tit and Darby.

Does anyone know if this betrothal a) actually existed at all and b) what happened? Was it officially called off? Did it just fall along the wayside when Mrs Sproul became ill (can't go marrying off a sister mom when there's no bio mum available)? or is it still on?

Darby is in some kind of a relationship with a Stouffer boy. Their picture can be seen on her instagram profile and a few hints given by hers and the stouffer girls. Nothing on facebook yet though.

I remember reading somewhere, possibly Jen's Gems, that the arrangement was between JT and Darby, and was called off because of theological issues over baptism- credo (adult) versus pedo (infant). Doug is a proponent of credobaptism and Sproul of pedobaptism, and ultimately it was considered to be a dealbreaker.

And they only.figured out they disagreed AFTER the betrothal? That's the most basic split between standard Reformed and Reformed Baptists and considering how minor most differences in doctrine are between reformed denominations, the paedo/credo debate is comparatively huge.

And I need to add that I find the fundie mindset so bizarre: betrothal is just like marriage without the sex. Super holy and it can never, ever be broken. If its broken you're as undesirable as a licked cupcake. Blah, blah, blah. Unless, of course, your fathers disagree on minor points of doctrine and them it's totally okay (even desirable) to call the whole thing off.

I don't think it was a formal betrothal, probably more like an exploration of the idea for a later courtship when the kids were older. At least, I hope it wasn't! As I said, I can't even remember where I read it, let alone all the details, although I do think it was Jen's Gems.

Well, there are betrothals and then there are betrothals.

If you're a child of fundie power-trippers like Doug Phillips Is A Tool or James and Stacy McDonald, you can break off a betrothal, no harm no foul.

If you're a child of fundie peons (you know, the saps who buy all the shite from VF or Stacy's oils and do as they say), it's a sin to break a betrothal, and you're damned.

What a bunch of lying hypocrites these people are.

Archived