Ariel

I wanna start by saying I haven't seen the film...just the trailer a million times while I watch tv.

The premise of the movie is that a man (and the rest of the men in his family) are capable of going back in time and changing their lives. The trailer shows the protagonist mostly using this for romantic reasons. He redoes the first time he meets Rachel McAdams (love interest), he redoes the first time they have sex. It appears as though later in the film his dad dies, and in going back in time to change that, the protagonist never ends up meeting Rachel McAdams. Drama!

Is anybody squicked out by the premise? Or at least the uses of time travel? I don't want to watch the movie because I am so completely grossed out by the idea that this guy keeps messing up his chances with the girl (Bad first meeting, bad first time sex) and goes back and changes everything in order to get the girl. It's manipulative, and just gross.

I kinda feel like a Debbie Downer, having this opinion about a movie that is supposed to be a "Feel Good Movie of the Year", but again, yuck.

I was incredibly squicked out by The Time Traveler's Wife, and they seem similar (Rachel McAdams in both movies aside)

I was incredibly squicked out by The Time Traveler's Wife, and they seem similar (Rachel McAdams in both movies aside)

I never saw that movie, but I read the book. It seemed really gross and manipulative to me that he was going back in time to meet her when she was a child. Very squicky. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Archived