IGNORED

American fundies in England

snarktastic

Looks like the USA has kindly sent an entire family of their finest religious zealots to the UK. Thanks guys! :lol:

The Rooney family come complete with 10 kids, long skirts and a mission to bring the godless Brits to Christ.

Check out the leaflet that they're giving out. It's an absolute belter.

looneytooneyrooneys.blogspot.co.uk

Basically, if you believe what scientists say you're placing blind faith in authority. If you believe the Bible, you're relying on actual evidence. 500 people saw the resurrection you know! Yes, they homeskule their kids :angry-banghead:

So you lot better be careful if you're planning on relying on science - you know, if you're going take medicine or get on an aeroplane. Cuz those crazy scientists just make shit up, like evolution and antibiotics and jet engines, and no-one ever checks to see if they're right or not. You have been warned!

Wow, theyre in for a shock.

Ive only met one creationist before, and he was protesting outside a Richard Dawkins talk while holding a cross.

Theres pretty much no fundies here at all. Never met one other than this guy.

I will give them a prop or two: they do seem to allow the kids to have fun, and instead of 'fellowshipping' with friends, they 'visited.'

Oh, wait. I spoke too soon. Fellowshipping occurred a few posts down. :? Fun still seems to be a major theme, though.

Re the Resurrection witnessing. I hate to be the one to enlighten them, but NO ONE saw the Resurrection. There were no witnesses. There were witnesses after the fact, according to the gospels, what with Jesus suddenly appearing amongst everyone with nail holes in his hands and feet and all that, but He was kind of by himself in that tomb on Easter Sunday morning.

Semantics, semantics, I know...

Oh. They found us. The site now requires a sign-in.

Loony toony rooneys is a good name for them, though; they're going into a country that's already majority-Christian to preach Christianity? come on!

I feel very sorry for the residents of Glastonbury. In the few minutes before the site kicked me off, I saw that they have now passed out a flyer to every home there 4 times. yich.

Reading through their blog I'm putting them in the same box as the Seven Sisters family, ie they seem to be genuinely nice people who believe some crazy things and are depriving their kids of an education with the very best intentions. God knows what the locals make of them or who's paying for them to be over here. It looks like most Sundays the family must make up pretty much half of their own congregation.

I feel very sorry for the residents of Glastonbury. In the few minutes before the site kicked me off, I saw that they have now passed out a flyer to every home there 4 times.

That was a quick flounce. Lol, I missed that it was Glastonbury. They won't stand out there too badly, it's the wicca / druid / crystal healing mecca of the UK and anything goes.

Looks like the USA has kindly sent an entire family of their finest religious zealots to the UK. Thanks guys! :lol:

The Rooney family come complete with 10 kids, long skirts and a mission to bring the godless Brits to Christ.

Check out the leaflet that they're giving out. It's an absolute belter.

looneytooneyrooneys.blogspot.co.uk

Basically, if you believe what scientists say you're placing blind faith in authority. If you believe the Bible, you're relying on actual evidence. 500 people saw the resurrection you know! Yes, they homeskule their kids :angry-banghead:

So you lot better be careful if you're planning on relying on science - you know, if you're going take medicine or get on an aeroplane. Cuz those crazy scientists just make shit up, like evolution and antibiotics and jet engines, and no-one ever checks to see if they're right or not. You have been warned!

Did Moses part the Atlantic so they could walk across or did they use an ebil aeroplane to get there?

That was a quick flounce. Lol, I missed that it was Glastonbury. They won't stand out there too badly, it's the wicca / druid / crystal healing mecca of the UK and anything goes.

Oh wow, they chose Glastonbury? Wonder if they chose that deliberately because they think there's so many heathens there that need converting or because they closed their eyes and pointed to a random spot on the map. Either way, I think they'll meet with no success in their venture.

Also 4 times...REALLY? Do they think they're going to wear people down by constant tracting? I'd imagine that the Glastonbury residents will be at least as ticked off by the unnecessary waste of paper as they will be by the constant intrusions.

It's not Glastonbury! It's Gainsborough. Much duller.

In fact the blog is really dull. I spent 10 minutes dodging about there before they locked it. I would have no idea how to screen cap or save anything, so I haven't anything to link to. But briefly:

They came here in early 2011.

They're IFB from Ohio.

They homeschool, and are grateful to be able to do so.

They leaflet the town like crazy, but get a poor response. No-one shows up at church, although they did get two written responses to their leaflets - both responses were 'negative'. They have a tiny congregation.

They have a church website that's not hard to google up. There's a copy of one of their leaflets there. It's laughable.

They've been victims of crime: theft from their vehicle and another time the dad got robbed and hit.

Their life sounds grim, to be honest.

The blog seemed to be primarily a way for them to keep in touch with family in the US. It wasn't jumping with the obnoxious, entitled nonsense that might be expected; but I have no doubt that they believe all the usual hateful rubbish.

Googling for prayer letters shows that they were on deputation since 2009. They raised thousands of dollars to make the move and continue to spend thousands to stay here.

There are many, many IFB missionaries in the UK. It's a google rabbit-hole that I find thoroughly depressing.

It's not Glastonbury! It's Gainsborough. Much duller.
Ah, shame. I was really enjoying the thought of American Fundies trying to convert British Druids :lol:

Yup, if you google Gainsborough Baptist Church you can read their leaflet and some more :cray-cray: misinfo on evolution as well.

I had no idea that we had the IFB crowd here in the UK. I've never come across them or anything like that leaflet. My mind boggles that they think it's going to persuade people to join their church, especially if they've spent the last two years leafleting every house in the town several times and their own family are still making up the majority of the congregation. You'd think the penny would have dropped by now. It's sad really, I got the impression from the bit I read of their blog that they're good people and genuinely mean well. They could do a lot more with their lives than stick junk mail through the letterboxes of people who don't want to know.

Archived