IGNORED

Seventh-Gay Adventist, the film.

bionicmlle

"Seventh-Gay Adventist" is a documentary film about being gay and Seventh-Day Adventist. DH and I went to see it recently and enjoyed a great discussion with movie-goers afterward. This film followed several "stories" (singles/couples) who are wanting to be SDA while still being in same-sex relationships.

It was moving and funny (particularly the "inside" SDA jokes!) but there was an odd reaction we had after the movie. The non-SDA folks were hopeful, excited and mostly positive of the "movement" of fundamentalist/conservative religions towards a more accepting view of QUILTBAG community. DH and I were both sad and disappointed that the culture we are so familiar with -- a culture that is desperate to expand the "world church" yet has been so directly and clearly exclusionary when it comes to people who so desperately want to be part of the community.

DH and I could, if we wanted, go back to it at a moment's notice -- no questions asked -- and welcomed. These wonderful people in the film want to be part of this church family - which IS quite insular while growing up because of the parochial school system, church-run "scouts" type of program (Pathfinders) and bullying of non-SDA children in schools.

DH and I ended up getting into a discussion on the way home and am interested in your opinions -- Should SDAs try to change this belief "from the inside-out," working to change the belief on same-sex relationships or should those who disagree leave the church and forge their own way? As SDAs, we grow up with the church as so much a part of our daily culture, I can certainly understand why it is so scary and sad to break away.

ETA: I thought it would be interesting to include that the local group who organized the showing was a gay Mennonite group.

http://www.sgamovie.com

I can attest to that. Even as an adult, walking away from it has been very scary indeed. I can see why some wouldn't want to go through it.

The more liberal Adventists might eventually come to accept gays, but I'm general, the SDA church will never change it's position.

And Adventists who believe in Ellen White never could, as she clearly condemns homosexuality. Ellen white is fundamental to Adventism, so I really think its not happening.

Seventh gay Adventists would almost HAVE to form their own church.

I'm a liberal SDA. I'm totally for LGBT rights. We're not all crazy, I promise. But yeah, I don't see the church's official position changing at all. Trynn is also correct, we [sDA's in general] take the EGW books as seriously as the bible for the most part.

I went to the SDA school for a year, in first grade. My parents decided to move me to a public school because I had a learning disability (dyscalculia) and special needs (physical therapy and occupational therapy).

I eventually caught up but it took me a long time to get out of remedial classes and move into normal and advanced classes.

Since I didn't stay in the SDA school for more than a year, I can't tell you first hand what the schools are like. I do remember having to recite the books of the bible every morning, there's a song I learned to remember it.

I'm a liberal SDA. I'm totally for LGBT rights. We're not all crazy, I promise. But yeah, I don't see the church's official position changing at all. Trynn is also correct, we [sDA's in general] take the EGW books as seriously as the bible for the most part.

I went to the SDA school for a year, in first grade. My parents decided to move me to a public school because I had a learning disability (dyscalculia) and special needs (physical therapy and occupational therapy).

I eventually caught up but it took me a long time to get out of remedial classes and move into normal and advanced classes.

Since I didn't stay in the SDA school for more than a year, I can't tell you first hand what the schools are like. I do remember having to recite the books of the bible every morning, there's a song I learned to remember it.

FAS: Have you seen the film? It certainly does not portray SDAs (liberal or conservative) as "crazy" but rather tells very personal stories of people who want to remain within the community of faith they grew up in. While the denomination featured is SDA, I think there's a valuable, wider discussion about "modernization" of churches and reframing Biblical principles.

I haven't seen the film, but I think I need to.

I've heard of other people calling SDA a cult. I don't know why exactly, there's nothing cult-like about it. I feel like I got lucky in the church. Growing up, everyone was so nice and friendly to me. I never saw any corruption or anything like that.

I think churches need to grow with the times but you can't force someone to believe in something they have an issue with.

The documentary sounds interesting and I will keep it on my to watch list. I know an SDA couple and they are accepting of gays and lesbians.

There is an SDA university back where I'm from (Union College, Lincoln NE). I knew a couple SDA kids...one was from a liberal family where she would regale me with stories of visiting her hardcore SDA grannie. The other one was a pastor's kid...super nice guy who would invite me to youth group type events.

Sadly this is one religious group I really don't know much about other than worship on Saturdays and no meat/no drinking/no smoking. It seems very big into missionary stuff...a lot of the degrees at Union College seem to be in pastoral care and disaster management type stuff.

Anyways, I have nothing to add about the gay factor...in Nebraska you don't have to be a hard core Christian to be conservative on this issue.

I'm SDA. When I was first identifying with feminism/rejecting fundamentalism I came close to leaving. However, I have not been badly hurt by the church -- just angry for the sake of those (especially LGBT folks & women ) who have. My knowledge of progressive post-evangelicals and liberal Adventists has encouraged mee to stay in to work for change and give a tolerent, loving support to such marginaized ones in the church. I don't deny though that the fact it's my culture is a factor in my attachment.

Ex SDA. I didn't realize so many of us frequented FJ. SDA Kinship is a group formed by gay SDAs for gay SDAs.

• 3 months later...

We bought it last week, Janes Heir but thanks so much for posting this! I hope that more people are able to see it!

Archived