IGNORED

Paula Deen fired and Alabama again lives down to stereotypes

Bazile

Sixty is not old. She is from the generation that fought for Civil Rights so I am pretty certain that she knows not to use the N word.

I've just started reading the link. Bubba sexually harassed and verbally abused his workers. Whoa When the employee who brought the suit asked if she was qualified for a position, Paula agreed that she was. However, she said that her sons and brother would never take orders from a woman. :o

Racism, sexism, sexual harassment, threats of violence and I'm not that far into the report.

WHAT THE FUCK? She must be so proud of herself as a mother. :roll:

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sixty is not old. She is from the generation that fought for Civil Rights so I am pretty certain that she knows not to use the N word.

I've just started reading the link. Bubba sexually harassed and verbally abused his workers. Whoa When the employee who brought the suit asked if she was qualified for a position, Paula agreed that she was. However, she said that her sons and brother would never take orders from a woman. :o

Racism, sexism, sexual harassment, threats of violence and I'm not that far into the report.

Sadly, it goes beyond mere threats of violence to acts of violence.

Her apology was such bullshit. "I'm sorry for the hurt I've caused MYSELF", like she's her own main victim.

Oh for Pete's sake! We've made the non-apology an art form ("I'm sorry if my words offended anyone."), and now we're excusing someone's bigoted words and actions because of what was happening in the wider society at the time of their birth? Really?

I have news for Paula Deen Enterprises: people can and should adapt and change as they grow, mature, and move through the world, especially in the big old world that Paula Deen's money allows her to moves in. What society was like 1953 is no excuse to act and talk like a bigoted jerk in 2013. Unfortunately for her, Deen either never learned or chose to ignore this lesson, and now she's paying the price. Boo-hoo.

We discussed the restaurant she got the slave idea from. I've looked and looked, but I can't find it. I wonder if it's still in business?

And I'm waiting for everyone to call me racist...but we all call people derogatory things on this very board. I've uttered the R word (redneck) and the Y word (yankee)...all technically slurs. Again I don't say the N word and I don't think ANYONE should...not the rappers who use it all the time...or anyone else, but I feel it's a little hypocritical and a lot of everyone jumping on the 'oh look at us, we're firing her because we're incredibly political correct' if we aren't going to be honest about it.

Redneck is nowhere near as derogatory as the N word. And yankee? Where'd you get the idea that was derogatory?

One of the managers said that he would fire all the 'monkeys' in his kitchen.

The employee was told that Bubba would not pay a woman more than she was being paid and he would be angry if he knew she received as much as she did.

The employee was not given any bonuses after Mr. Schumacher told her repeatedly that he did not believe in divorce on religious grounds. He also told her that 'women are stupid because they think that they can work and have babies and get everything done." He also wanted to require staff to read a Christian book that stated that women should be subservient.

Because Bubba did not like seeing fat girls arms, he created a rule that all women had to wear long sleeves.

One of the managers said that he would fire all the 'monkeys' in his kitchen.

The employee was told that Bubba would not pay a woman more than she was being paid and he would be angry if he knew she received as much as she did.

The employee was not given any bonuses after Mr. Schumacher told her repeatedly that he did not believe in divorce on religious grounds. He also told her that 'women are stupid because they think that they can work and have babies and get everything done." He also wanted to require staff to read a Christian book that stated that women should be subservient.

Because Bubba did not like seeing fat girls arms, he created a rule that all women had to wear long sleeves.

Unbelievable. I read Paula's autobiography several years ago, and the ironic thing is, she bought Bubba his restaurant after she became rich and famous. So, I guess Bubba's ok with a woman making it possible for him to make a nice living.

And the sons won't take orders from a woman? The only reason they are rich themselves is because of their mother, a woman. All these manly men living off Paula's coattails.

Yankees and Rednecks have not been slaves so I don't view those names as equivalent at all to the N word.

I know a lot of people who call themselves Redneck because they are from the country. They are certainly not calling themselves racists or ignorant so the term isn't always negative.

All Americans are Yankees so I am confused why that would be a bad term either.

Yeah, "Yankee" and "redneck" are not even remotely in the same ballpark as the N word, and to present them as such is an egregious straw man. It's either totally disingenuous or inexcusably ignorant to pretend that using the N word is equivalent to calling someone a redneck. Come on. :wtf:

I note that the person who first posted about Yankees and rednecks felt okay about writing out the words themselves but NO ONE on this thread has written out the full N word. This is a liberal board where all kinds of indelicate language is allowed, but people aren't tossing around the N word. It's that offensive. Also, if someone said something to me about "the N word," I'd know exactly which of all the English words beginning with N they were referring to, but if I heard something about "the Y word," I'd have NO idea which "Y word" was too offensive to say outright. I think this speaks to the unique status the N word has as a particularly flagrant example of hate speech in the English language.

(I'm a linguist so I guess I think about this kind of shit all the time.)

I'm annoyed that a lot of my FB friends are saying that it's understandable, given the era she grew up in and being from the South.

I hate that excuse. My grandfather was an obnoxious racist -- he voted for McCain and Palin simply because Obama was black, I was never allowed to tell him about my work for the campaign or meeting him or anything -- and my mother always brushed it off, said it was due to his age and whatnot.

Always pissed me the eff off. He was so antifeminist, too. Always told me to do the dishes, never my brother. So many "because you're a girl" comments.

Never thought age should be an excuse to act like a decent, respectful human being.

Yankees and Rednecks have not been slaves so I don't view those names as equivalent at all to the N word.

I know a lot of people who call themselves Redneck because they are from the country. They are certainly not calling themselves racists or ignorant so the term isn't always negative.

All Americans are Yankees so I am confused why that would be a bad term either.

Not sure where you're from, but in the US (and the American South in particular) Yankee refers specifically to someone from the Northeastern and occasionally the Midwestern portion of the country. I'd say a decent number of Southerners would be offended to be called a Yankee, and I know in the late 70s/early 80s my mother spent a lot of time in England refighting the Civil War when people called her a Yank. There's an old joke in the South in which people will say they didn't know that damn and Yankee were two separate words until adulthood. With that said, as others have mentioned, while Yankee is generally used as a derogatory term it's not in the same class as n*****.

Even though it's my adopted home, I'm a die-hard New Englander, and it doesn't impact me in the least if someone calls me a Yankee. I don't experience widespread social and institutional discrimination because a segment of the nation refers to me and others who come from the Northeast as Yankees. I do not feel intimidated or unsafe by its use. Meanwhile, the use of the n-word by white people perpetuates social and institutional racism and has a history of being used to intimidate, ostracize, and dehumanize people of color in every facet of life. There is just.no.comparison.

My grandmother, who turned 80 last month, and actually did grow up in an era where blacks and whites were separated, is not even a little close to the racism that Paula Deen has allegedly displayed.

Not sure where you're from, but in the US (and the American South in particular) Yankee refers specifically to someone from the Northeastern and occasionally the Midwestern portion of the country. I'd say a decent number of Southerners would be offended to be called a Yankee, and I know in the late 70s/early 80s my mother spent a lot of time in England refighting the Civil War when people called her a Yank. There's an old joke in the South in which people will say they didn't know that damn and Yankee were two separate words until adulthood. With that said, as others have mentioned, while Yankee is generally used as a derogatory term it's not in the same class as n*****.

People outside the U.S. - at least English speaking countries - tend to refer to all Americans as "Yanks/Yankees".

Within America, it's only people in the south who seem to think that "Yankee" and "redneck" are derogatory terms. Northerners know Southerners call them Yankees and could really care less...even think it's funny that Southerners think "Yankee" is somehow offensive and even sometimes call themselves Yankee.

Depending on where you are regionally and who you are around, I guess those terms could *sometimes* be considered *rude* but I'd hardly call them offensive/derogatory.

Here's a link to the complaint filed against Paula Deen, her various companies, and her brother. The allegations are truly horrifying. http://www.scribd.com/doc/148781831/Jac ... -Complaint

After reading that I am surprised it took Food Network even 24 hours to decide not to renew her contract. It sounds like a horrible work environment for anyone who isn't a white male related to Paula Deen.

Guest Anonymous
And I'm waiting for everyone to call me racist...but we all call people derogatory things on this very board. I've uttered the R word (redneck) and the Y word (yankee)...all technically slurs. Again I don't say the N word and I don't think ANYONE should...not the rappers who use it all the time...or anyone else, but I feel it's a little hypocritical and a lot of everyone jumping on the 'oh look at us, we're firing her because we're incredibly political correct' if we aren't going to be honest about it.

I would like to defend the use of the N word in rap music. I think the N word can be instantly, intensely evocative and can express something about the black experience that would otherwise be talked around and avoided. In good rap music, the N word is used to remind us of the shattering pain of racism and the unique feelings that surround our reaction to racist abuse. It can be really cathartic.

Loved the plans for her brothers wedding with the pretend slaves. That's pretty hilarious and not at all racist, right? I'm really disturbed that so many people see nothing wrong with this!

My husband told me about that on the way home and I had a real wtf moment. I am glad FN fired her ass.

Offensive language is largely in the ear of the hearer. I've always found it interesting that Dumbledore says that fear of a name increases fear of a thing, and yet even in the wizarding world mudblood gets different treatment from Voldemort. (Though that is totally outside the conversation here, the nebulous yet specific nature of language fascinates me.)

That said, Yankee is frequently considered slightly derogatory, as when said by southerners to northerners, by Canadians or English to Americans, when paired with the word damn, or when directed at a lifelong fan of the Boston Red Sox.

But, if I may borrow from the spectrum of offense derived from the female anatomy, Yankee is the "pussy" of the ethnic slur community. Using slurs on the "cunt" end of the spectrum is unprofessional behaviour and choosing to disassociate with business associates who choose that vocabulary in a professional environment seems totally reasonable.

Born in SC, raised in NC. My family has deep roots in the south. One of my ancestors fought for the wrong side of the Revolutionary war here in NC so my family has been here a long time.

Yep, some southerners use Yankee as a derogatory word-they are usually the same southerners that use the N word. However, all Americans-including myself- are Yankees.

Yank would not offend me at all. However, I admit, it annoys the hell out of me when southerners treat the south as if it is a separate country from the rest of the USA. We are all one country and the south needs to get over its damn pride and self righteousness.

My husband told me about that on the way home and I had a real wtf moment. I am glad FN fired her ass.

I told my friend and her reaction was similar. What is wrong with that family that they would think a Plantation wedding was not offensive. It isn't just offensive, it is reprehensible and morally sickening. Seriously, who would attend such an event?

As horrible as the plantation wedding was, I don't think that it would have made news if Bubba hadn't been such an ass. Deen's racism probably would have gone undetected by the press.

I was born in SC and have some backwater relatives who love to say "I'm not racist but....[long string of n-words]."

And as far as Paula Deen is concerned, she should have been fired a long time ago for this:

Paula Deen's about the same age as my husband, who also was raised in the South, attended segregated schools and remembers well when there were segregated bathrooms, drinking fountains, even clothing stores. I have never, in the 33 years I've known him, heard him utter that term. And I know damn well he had family members who did. Smart people learn not to; smarter people never did to begin with. Paula Deen isn't the brightest bulb on the tree.

FWIW, my husband finds the term hillbilly horribly offensive. Someone at his work made a joke and he nearly came unhinged. I think he has a right to be sensitive...his own record on these things is pretty clean.

I used the term one time, when I was 7. I heard a friend's mom using it. My mom let me know it was NOT acceptable and I've never used it since. But I couldn't testify that I've never said it, and for that I feel badly.

I was born in SC and have some backwater relatives who love to say "I'm not racist but....[long string of n-words]."

And as far as Paula Deen is concerned, she should have been fired a long time ago for this:

Hey, I enjoy a bacon and egg burger on occasion--but on a donut "bun"? Eew!

I've never been a fan of hers, but I would have fired her after she finally revealed she had diabetes--three years after being diagnosed, and only after she'd lined up a drug-endorsement deal with a pharmaceutical company. In the meantime, she'd kept on cooking unhealthy sugar-/carb-laden dishes as if nothing was any different.

The racial stuff is bad enough, but the treatment of Ms. Jackson, a woman in management of one of another woman's profit centers, is inexcusable. Damnable.

I never did like Paula Deen. When she kept her diabetic condition a secret for years as she continued to pimp out high-cholesterol, sugary, starchy fare - and then did some lame-ass PR work for a diabetes nonprofit AND (IIRC) a diabetic supply company, I began to actively dislike her.

It's lousy enough when men berate and victimize women in the workplace.

When a woman does it - and empowers other people to do it - it's absolutely disgusting, inexcusable, fouller than foul.

~~~~~~~~~

You never can tell about people. I met an older lady who seemed like a sweetheart, the kind of lady who still wore the same glasses frames from 20 years ago (didn't seem concerned about appearances) and didn't mind getting her hands dirty, helping with all manner of building-related projects. Then I found out that she had tried to make a parttime employee - an elderly, very genteel man who is of African descent - wear a white starched server's jacket and a black bowtie for his job setting up for weekly lunches of a bunch of ladies. He patently refused, agreeing to black slacks, white shirt open at the neck. I had to quit the group they all were involved in, which was sad because it was nominally a club to support and educate women at all life stages. Feh.

The racial stuff is bad enough, but the treatment of Ms. Jackson, a woman in management of one of another woman's profit centers, is inexcusable. Damnable.

[...]

It's lousy enough when men berate and victimize women in the workplace.

When a woman does it - and empowers other people to do it - it's absolutely disgusting, inexcusable, fouller than foul.

Oh, I agree. Neither her brother nor her sons would have had restaurants to run in the first place if it weren't for Paula's fame and money. She's the majority owner in both restaurants, too--it's not like she's a silent partner.

I can easily see sexist, deeply misogynistic men in Bubba's position crapping on female managers. First, because those women have the skill and competence they know they lack, and second, because they're embarrassed that everything they have they owe to a woman. But for the head woman in charge to allow even half of the abuse described to go on, leaving the offender in a position of power and ignoring all complaints? Or to keep her sons in the family business when they've said they won't take orders from a woman? That's absolutely appalling.

Then again, I shouldn't be shocked that Paula Deen will shit on the women who work for her in order to placate incompetent, woman-hating manchildren, so long as it keeps the money rolling in. Half the posts here seem to be about fundie women who shit on other women for failing to please incompetent, woman-hating manchildren, all in the name of making themselves appear more godly. Female misogyny and women propping up weak men isn't just for the fundie crowd.

Archived