IGNORED

Paula Deen fired and Alabama again lives down to stereotypes

Bazile

Jezebel, what you said, times eleventy.

I had dinner with some friends--all of us gals in our early 60s, some better informed than others. One of the more intelligent ones amazed me by thinking that Paula Deen's business associates were going overboard, and that trying to "ruin" her was going too far. I piped up with evidence I've read that there was systemic racism in her restaurant operations. Then the poor gal who's on a constant Glenn IV drip chimed in with the old "Why is it OK for THEM to use the n-word?" shizz. The Paula Deen almost-apologist and I leapt on her with the "But it's not our word to use" argument, plus a brief tutorial on white privilege.

At one point the Beck fangirl brought out the "fact" that the first American slave owner was black (per Beck). I told her tout suite that I had no respect for him and that his veracity is impaired. Then I went on a tear about slave owners of color buying friends and relatives in order to emancipate them, and state governments reacting by placing tight restrictions on manumissions.

Nice restful meal (post one of my performances). I was already pissed that two of our number had bugged out right after the show without waiting to see me (one of them my best friend, whom I haven't seen in months) because they had to rush home to feed their elderly and obviously incapacitated husbands. [/ end rant]

But, seriously--has anyone else ever heard the bullshit story about this mythical first slave owner being black?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pot, meet Kettle much? Wasn't he looking pretty portly himself at one time? I haven't seen him lately, but sheesh.

He's lost a ton of weight. The first time I saw him after he lost the weight I thought he was sick - he was THAT skinny. He also had/has a sort of sunken look to his face. (He's not sick ftr.) He was quite portly at one point, but I guess that doesn't matter anymore (in his opinion) because he lost a lot of weight. :?

Target has also dumped her and the cookbook to be published has been pulled. I hope that Bubba's restaurant ends up being owned by the people he harrassed.

The best thing to do at this point is ignore Paula Deen and pretend she doesn't exist. She obviously thrives on attention and pity parties, so that would definitely send her a message.

I was at Walmart earlier. At the register, the (older white) customer in front of me and the (white) cashier were having a conversation about Paula Deen and that saying the N word thirty years ago "doesn't mean she's racist." Then they saw me, apparently decided I was the appropriate color, and the customer said, "If THEY can say it, why can't we? Ask half the country--they say it!" :evil: :evil: Talk about completely missing the point. Furthermore, I hate being lumped in with a bunch of fools just because of my skin color.

But, seriously--has anyone else ever heard the bullshit story about this mythical first slave owner being black?

I've heard that, always from Glenn Beck types. I think it's a lie.

I was at Walmart earlier. At the register, the (older white) customer in front of me and the (white) cashier were having a conversation about Paula Deen and that saying the N word thirty years ago "doesn't mean she's racist." Then they saw me, apparently decided I was the appropriate color, and the customer said, "If THEY can say it, why can't we? Ask half the country--they say it!" :evil: :evil: Talk about completely missing the point. Furthermore, I hate being lumped in with a bunch of fools just because of my skin color.

I've heard that, always from Glenn Beck types. I think it's a lie.

Even if it were (which I highly doubt), what point are they trying to make? "Oh, the first slave owner was black, so it's totally okay that all the white people went and got slaves too. It's not bad at all that we started importing Africans en masse to be the slaves of rich right men." ??????????????????

The point is that this is NOT a case of Paula Deen using the N word 30 years ago. It is that she continues to manifest behavior and language that confirms her racism.

Black as a board? Really?? Really??

Yes Florence, I agree. It's not a one time use of the n word. It's the n word, making black employees use another bathroom (wtf??), trying to hire black people to be slaves at a wedding, etc.

She's not sorry for what she did. She is sorry she got caught and she will never change.

Yes Florence, I agree. It's not a one time use of the n word. It's the n word, making black employees use another bathroom (wtf??), trying to hire black people to be slaves at a wedding, etc.

She's not sorry for what she did. She is sorry she got caught and she will never change.

Exactly this! She's disgusting, and I agree with the pp that said we should just ignore her.

Paula Deen's lawyers are asking to have the case dropped because of Prop. 8.

www-deadline-com.vimg.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Paula-Deen-Racial-Discrimination-Suit-Partial-Dismissal__130701213605.pdf

I don't see that this has anything to do with Prop 8. I also doubt they will be successful. I'm sure the plaintiff has standing to bring suit. Paula's deposition alone creates questions of fact on multiple instances resulting in damage.

Don Lemon had an interesting special on CNN last night called "The N-word". It's worth watching for a really nuanced discussion of its implications in contemporary American society. I am having trouble finding a link, but this is an interview with Lemon about it: http://tinyurl.com/oyjnph3

Paula Deen's lawyers are asking to have the case dropped because of Prop. 8.

www-deadline-com.vimg.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Paula-Deen-Racial-Discrimination-Suit-Partial-Dismissal__130701213605.pdf

That's desperate and lame. Does she think this will make her look good? Shame on whoever told her this was a smart move. Does this woman have handlers, cause she sure doesn't have a fucking clue?!

Her behavior doesn't shock me. Glenn Beck's response doesn't shock me. i know there are extreme individuals out there. But I can't believe how many supporters she has! Truly can't believe how many people are coming out and acting like her behavior isn't repeatedly racist and offensive. Like it's no big deal.

Archived