IGNORED

the modesty solution for fundies - better then a dress.

doggie

This should keep men for hitting on you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/1 ... 55250.html

This might be the strangest way of keeping aggressive men at bay, but we have to give it major points for being clever.

"Super sexy, summertime anti-pervert full-leg-of-hair stockings, essential for all young girls going out," @HappyZhangJiang describes the item on China's popular microblogging service, Sina Weibo.

They remind us somewhat of the less playful, more functional "anti-rape" lingerie developed recently by three engineering students in India. That garment is wired to deliver an electric shock to sexual attackers and can send an alert message, with GPS coordinates, to the attacked woman's friends and family.

The idea behind the hair stockings, we're guessing, is that lewd gropers wouldn't come anywhere near you. Tongue-in-cheek, but inventive nonetheless.

o-CHINA-HAIR-STOCKINGS-570_zpsfefb8df3.jpg

Hmmm....uh. Cute?

Does China have a larger problem with sexual assault than other developed countries? I can understand why women in India might want something like the anti-rape lingerie considering the rate of stranger rape is fairly high, although I think the focus and money should be on the men's behaviour.

I have an issue with these types of devices, shall we call them, in countries where sexual assaults by strangers is low though. I was brought up thinking that rape happened in a dark alley by a scary man. When I went away to university about 15 years ago, my parents gave me a "rape alarm", which were popular at the time. All you needed to do was pull the pin out the alarm, and it'd emit a very loud screeching noise. So I carried it around every night when I was out, you know because that's when rapes happen. Meanwhile, I was sexually assaulted by my then boyfriend, someone I knew.

I think using these types of devices serves to not only reinforce the erroneous idea that most rapes happen by strangers, but I also think that it serves to keep women in their place....at home, by continuously reminding women that they are unsafe to be out by themselves.

I don't think it is a rape preventive more of a leave me alone thing. But who really knows where in china they put pantyhose on dogs. it may just be a gag thing. I don't see any more info on it. But it sure would keep the fundy boys from looking at your legs. wear them under your dress.

The biggest problem I see with this is that it gives the idea that if a woman who doesn't shave her legs is raped, then hey ho. What more could she have done. It also gives the impression that women who don't want to shave do it as rape / molestation prevention, not because maybe they just don't feel like shaving their bloody legs??

sorry, bit ranty.

Want. How could I make a halloween costume based on them?

This perpetuates the myth that rape is an expression of sexual desire, when nothing could be further from the truth. That is a misconception that causes huge damage to women, and especially to women who have been raped. I see nothing cute or funny about it.

I agree that such clothing seems to have more of a gag function than it would be useful in stopping attacks. If a man is determined to sexually assault a woman, this isn't going to stop him. A better idea woulld be to promote education about treating women with respect.

It bothers me because it perpetuates society's thought that hairy legs, for women, are ugly. Why is it that women need to constantly shave their legs but men don't? Why are hairy legs considered unfeminine? Who decided this?

It feels like this is reinforcing the idea that women who don't shave their legs are, at best, ugly. At worst they're dirty and unhygienic.

Implications about female grooming and rape notwithstanding, I can see this being pretty popular with body hair fetishists. I wonder if they make a matching merkin?

This could be some wacky fashion thing. I mean you have Japanese girls running around with panties on their faces and Chinese putting pantyhose on their dogs so who knows?

post-90-14451997997237_thumb.jpgpost-90-14451997997548_thumb.jpg

Hm..

Rape is more about power than anything. I don't think they'd be deterred by your hairy legs. Now, that thing in Africa, the tampon with teeth? THAT is something I can get behind.

It bothers me because it perpetuates society's thought that hairy legs, for women, are ugly. Why is it that women need to constantly shave their legs but men don't? Why are hairy legs considered unfeminine? Who decided this?

It feels like this is reinforcing the idea that women who don't shave their legs are, at best, ugly. At worst they're dirty and unhygienic.

I could be wrong, but I read that shaved legs were popularized by Parisian prostitutes in the 19th Century.

I did not think that Chinese women were very hairy anyway. Dark, curly leg hair would look very odd on a Chinese woman too.

ETA: I'd heard about the panties on the face thing on Fashion Queens, but I'd not seen it. Damn! That's weird! The pantyhose on those poor Golden retrievers just looks ridiculous and uncomfortable.

Archived