IGNORED

Ripping off TED talks

notsocommon

The website states one of its main inspirations is convicted felon and noted right-wing politico-Christian strategist Charles Colson (RIP). And on its first page of "Church" hits, a video by Mark Regnerus comes up (he of the famously consistently debunked study "proving" same-sex couples do not make good parents) and Luis Palau, a particularly influential friend of the "end times" Calvary Chapel movement.

But it's not like those are outliers, as they are not balanced out by any "liberal" Christian denominations or Jews, Orthodox or other faith groups. I haven't paged through everything but I'm hard pressed to find more than 2-3 representatives of mainstream Christian denominations there - one is Jim Wallis, who always tends to show up to debate hard-right culture warriors like Richard Land (who's also featured here.) If anyone sees a self-identifying Methodist, Episcopalian, UCC, or heck, even Catholic representative, lemme know.

So yeah, I don't know how mainstream Christian it is- probably not an "under the radar" Gothardite, Quiverfull, Dominionist, Seven Mountains of Culture, etc. outfit, but not really mainstream. More like media-savvy megachurch Calvinist-Baptist stuff, thus still closer to fundy-patriarchal than inclusive. But still very interesting, no? A blatant rip-off of the feel of TED talks.

Archived