IGNORED

The Gulabi Gang (The gang of pink saris)

Effie

Because sometimes we seriously need some good news.

Look at this awesome group of women. It makes me feel hopeful for humankind.

<>

Maybe this doesn't belong to Snark - if that's the case, please move it.

I watched a documentary about them a while ago. They do try to stop these things but they also sometimes try to play peacemaker, talking it out with the husbands/in-laws to take back their daughters/in-law and agree to stop abusing them.

In the doc, she returned a girl home to an abusive family as a "peace offering" since she was related to them and they had a falling out - she'd hope the gesture would patch things up.

It seemed kind of shady to me. But I guess at least someone is trying to do SOMETHING about it.

Pink Saris, meep? Yes, that doc can definitely be read in a much more ambiguous manner. She seemed to be more likely to reunite women with their husbands without really questioning what was truly the best option.

Pink Saris, meep? Yes, that doc can definitely be read in a much more ambiguous manner. She seemed to be more likely to reunite women with their husbands without really questioning what was truly the best option.

Yes, that was the one! Having them separated from their families was seen as a last resort. Although supposedly leaving the families would leave the women as social outcasts in that society, so I guess I get in that light. But I still think there is a whole lot of wheeling and dealing that goes on that only in the interest of the founder.

Archived