IGNORED

5 Year old gives the finger to WBC and they are pissed.

doggie

This little girl is amazing She fully pissed off these misters and had them all riled up. I guess it is ok if you protest but if a 5 year old does it it does not feel as good.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/1 ... 44490.html

What happens when a little girl decides to set up a lemonade stand for peace outside the Westboro Baptist Church headquarters in Kansas? Members of the community step out in droves to show support, even as the hate group tries to quash it.

Five-year-old Jayden, the daughter of Jon Sink, founder of the philanthropic arts group FRESHCASSETTE - Creative Compassion, decided to set up a stand selling pink lemonade at The Equality House on Friday afternoon. The Equality House is a rainbow-colored building directly across the street from Westboro's Topeka compound. The house, which was painted the colors of the pride flag in March, was bought by Aaron Jackson, one of the founders of Planting Peace, a multi-pronged nonprofit set up in 2004 and aimed at spreading goodwill and equality around the globe.

Jayden, who is from Kansas City, decided to set up her stand at the Equality House after her parents explained to her the significance of its construct. After being told that the church across the street had a message of hate, she set a goal of raising money to go towards a message of love and peace.

So she painted a banner for the event reading, "Pink Lemonade for Peace: $1 Suggested Donation." She put the stand in the grass and waited. But the waiting didn't take long. Supporters came in by the droves and $1 turned into hundreds of dollars.

During the day, Westboro sent representatives outside to try and find a way to stop the event. They apparently attempted to call the local police and stooped to yelling profanities when that didn't work, like calling a group of soldiers who rode out on their motorcycles to suport the event "bastards."

Westboro's hate couldn't stop Jayden. She not only raised $400 during the day on Friday, but she has also collected over $1000 with an online campaign set up through Crowd Rise. Some people donated as little as $10 and as much as $230. One person gave $26, dedicating it to every person killed six months ago in the Newtown, Conn., massacre.

"As we all know, the Westboro Baptist Church puts a lot of hate into the world," Jackson told HuffPost in an email Friday. "Since we cannot stop them, the next best thing is to smother it with love. That is what 5-year-old Jayden accomplished today! Jayden set up a lemonade stand in front of the church. Not only did she quench the thirst of a lot of loving supporters, the money she raised was donated to Planting Peace so she could help Planting Peace promote a more peaceful world."

“Jayden represents the natural humanity we are born with," Davis Hammet, Director of Operations at Planting Peace, added. "We come into this world compassionate, caring beings and only become hateful if we are taught to be.â€

What a fantastic kid. Gives me so much hope for the future. Little lady is going places.

That is adorable.

I think all kids are naturally open and loving towards everyone, but the influence of negative parents beats it out of them.

coolest little girl of the year. don't you love the haters reaction? sure shows how much they are Christlike for sure.

What an awesome kid - though I am relieved that the article was not about her literally giving them the finger. It's families like these that are going to change the world!

What an awesome kid - though I am relieved that the article was not about her literally giving them the finger. It's families like these that are going to change the world!

the finger would not do much against them they ignore that. this was far more effective then a finger ever could be. Just look how they reacted they usually don't react at all when people confront them.

Every time I read a story about this kind of thing it give me hope for the future. Yes, children are taught to hate. If you will indulge me, please consider these lyrics written by Oscar Hammerstein II for the musical South Pacific. They are as relevant today as in the 1940s:

You've got to be taught to hate and fear

You've got to be taught from year to year

It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear

You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid

Of people whose eyes are oddly made

And people whose skin is a different shade

You've got to be taught before it's too late

Before you are six, or seven, or eight

To hate all the people your relatives hate

I question the parents allowing her in a potentially dangerous situation for whatever cause;using children , esp very young ones, and putting them in adult situation they can't possibly fully understand for however good the message or agenda erks me. ymmv.

I like the story too. But I'm also fully aware that her parents were the ones thinking this one through so they are, in effect, using their daughter to spread their message. Fortunately this one is a good message.

Peace is a pretty good reason for a little kid to set up a lemonade stand, but she's pretty damn savvy to think to drive from her hometown to Topeka to set up a lemonade stand across from the church and create an Internet campaign. It's not any more impossible than the children who accept Jesus, but it seems highly improbable.

I mean, I could see if she saw something about the rainbow house and understood that it was a place that promoted peace and friendship and said, "hey, mom and dad, can I set up a lemonade stand in our driveway and send the money to the rainbow house?" The rest of it, I just don't think so. While I guess I'm glad she's not being used to support a message of hate, it's still the thing we rag on fundies for doing when it's their message.

I question the parents allowing her in a potentially dangerous situation for whatever cause;using children , esp very young ones, and putting them in adult situation they can't possibly fully understand for however good the message or agenda erks me. ymmv.

QFT. We regularly criticise fundies for taking their kids to anti-abortion rallies. The kids don't fully understand the issue and are at risk of getting hurt. I don't see anything different here. The child is still parroting her parents beliefs without truly understanding them and she has definitely been put in a dangerous situation. I give a big thumbs down to her parents.

QFT. We regularly criticise fundies for taking their kids to anti-abortion rallies. The kids don't fully understand the issue and are at risk of getting hurt. I don't see anything different here. The child is still parroting her parents beliefs without truly understanding them and she has definitely been put in a dangerous situation. I give a big thumbs down to her parents.

I agree 100%! I hate it when parents use their children as "pawns" to further their agenda. No matter how much I agree with these parents' agenda, I cannot agree with their tactic for furthering it.

I agree 100%! I hate it when parents use their children as "pawns" to further their agenda. No matter how much I agree with these parents' agenda, I cannot agree with their tactic for furthering it.

You know, this is the kind of thing I could see a child coming up with on their own, but it's pretty clear in this case that her parents are behind it. The hand-painted sign even promotes her dad's website.

not sure if this is an issue. that's one thing WBC does is stay legal. mostly the violence is towards them and most of the time it is pretty minor.

a five year old child has no business on a street in the middle of adults who are fighting, verbally or otherwise...what's minor to adults is often very frightening for a child.

You know, this is the kind of thing I could see a child coming up with on their own, but it's pretty clear in this case that her parents are behind it. The hand-painted sign even promotes her dad's website.

Exactly. I could see a child wanting to have a lemonade stand to raise money for an organization. The rest of it...not so much.

Archived