IGNORED

VF's Civil War - I Knew It Was Coming...

GenerationCedarchip

Okay, I knew that VF's push on the Civil War was going to involve either a costumey event or a big book release - turns out we get both! The VF-ers are invading Gettysburg in costume (one of these days I really will try to crash a VF party but no way am I going to put on a hoopskirt and fry myself in the July sun for them) AND now they are releasing what Dougie described as the bestest Civil War book ever:

visionforum.com/browse/product/war-between-the-states-resource-collection/default.aspx?a=600925

Apparently, they are going to cut through the "revisionist confusion" to give us the real history of the Civil War. I'll give small points for not calling it the War of Northern Aggression but I still have a feeling that this is going to be some interesting reading. If I can find it for free at the library, I might flip through it. When I think fundie history, I think of folks like Gary North who distort the record so bad it's almost unrecognizable, but I'm come across reformed fundies who are much more subtle and at least a bit more accurate in their writing. Those folks are scarier in a way because they can get just enough right to be taken seriously by nonfundies.

Awww, for some reason I read that as a Civil War within VF -- you know, a split, maybe some dirt. Although VF being what it is, I should have known the Civil War was more literal.

Oh, holy hell. We lost the war. Slavery was inhuman, and yes, maybe not all the "darkies" were treated like those in Uncle Tom's Cabin, but they sure as hell weren't singing "Dem Old Cotton Fields" with a smile. Doug, coming from someone who grew up in what was left of a home Sherman didn't completely burn, l really think you and your playmates need to find a new hobby. And by the way, re-enactments won't change the outcome of that war. You are a tool and you suck.

Awww, for some reason I read that as a Civil War within VF -- you know, a split, maybe some dirt. Although VF being what it is, I should have known the Civil War was more literal.

Me too. Le sigh.

Is it me or does the description of this book make it sound rather old? The book is back in print for the 150th anniversary of the war. Back in print from 6 years ago? I looked it up and was originally published 2007.

edited because apparently I can't count (or spell) today

Oh and I did find this interesting review //cwmemory.com/2009/07/04/the-war-between-the-states-homeschool-style/

It's from a teacher and he was less than impressed.

Why is it that people that own tortured killed and bred slaves are somehow good Christians?

This is from a passage in the book: "Slavery, though not an evil institution when practiced Biblically, was attended with evils as practiced in the South."

I guess the key is keeping it biblical. :pink-shock:

Why is it that people that own tortured killed and bred slaves are somehow good Christians?

And gays are not...

This is from a passage in the book: "Slavery, though not an evil institution when practiced Biblically, was attended with evils as practiced in the South."

except slave back then was not described like it was in the south. hell white people would have been slaves back in biblical times.

Why don't fundies read their own bible instead of letting fundie pastors tell them what it says?

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

How the hell is that better or kind?

I honestly believe that the leaders in Vision Forum want to own slaves. Their new slavery wouldn't be based entirely on race but probably include members of groups who disagree with them

Oh and I did find this interesting review //cwmemory.com/2009/07/04/the-war-between-the-states-homeschool-style/

It's from a teacher and he was less than impressed.

I've never read the book VF is peddling, but somehow I'm not surprised that someone with actual historical knowledge is less than impressed.

Also, I remember Time on the Cross from college and if this book relies heavily on that for ideas about slavery - yikes! IIRC, Time on the Cross is a great cautionary tale for what happens when one looks only at the economic numbers and doesn't think about all the other implications. You might do things like, I don't know, conclude that slavery actually had some benefits for the enslaved.

I wonder if Christian fundies in America who admire the confederates realized that they (the confederates) were traitors? I mean, doesn't creating an army and suceeding from the Union count as traitorous? And aren't VF-type fundies supposed to be uber-patriots?

And gays are not...

Because gays (if they are out) are way more fab and fierce than the Doug "The Tool" could ever hope to be. :whistle: And Doug wants to toss Rhett Butler's salad. :music-tool:

Uh...exactly how is slavery practiced "biblically"? Would these dipshits advocate a return to slavery as long as it was practiced by Bible-believin' Christians or something?

I have no words (well, I do have words, but most of them involve cussing and incoherent ranting)

Doug Phillips and friends: tools.

That's really in the book? Holy shit!

Slavery not always an evil institution - I can't even snark on that. I'm that gobsmacked. Do they spend a lot of time thinking about it, I wonder. How to do slavery right? I suppose this bunch is also part of the crew that believes that the Civil War wasn't actually about slavery but about resisting an oppressive federal government. I got that spiel once from an avowed Democrat on a Democratic political website. I asked the dude if Jefferson Davis had a secret plan to free the slaves, because otherwise I was not understanding what he meant by "oppressive government."

Guess who is having a Fundy 4th of July? That's right, this gal! :dance:

Mr. Fundylicious is taking the rug rats to his parents, and I'm going on a road trip to Gettysburg. I don't own a bonnet, hoop skirt or smug self satisfied expression, but maybe I can lurk around and see the Tool in his natural environment. :music-tool:

I am ridiculously excited. Mr. Fundylicious thinks I'm mental, of course.

Guess who is having a Fundy 4th of July? That's right, this gal! :dance:

Mr. Fundylicious is taking the rug rats to his parents, and I'm going on a road trip to Gettysburg. I don't own a bonnet, hoop skirt or smug self satisfied expression, but maybe I can lurk around and see the Tool in his natural environment. :music-tool:

I am ridiculously excited. Mr. Fundylicious thinks I'm mental, of course.

Oh, Fundylicious, how I envy you! I'm out here on teh ebil west coast, and I doubt I can convince any of my liberal (read: SANE) friends to accompany me on a road trip to see the equivalent of a human zoo (frumpers to the left, grown men dressed as foppish fancy-lads to the right). The lovely man I've been dating (we're not courting though we have enjoyed much sweet fellowship) gives me well-deserved side-eye when I bring up the topic, so I'm pretty sure he's out. Please report back on how Doug Phillips is a tool post haste once you have witnessed the :wtf: ery in all its glory!

Archived