IGNORED

Murder charges for the Cleveland rapist

2xx1xy1JD

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/12/us/ohio-c ... ?hpt=hp_c2

I understand the primal desire to see this guy fry.

I understand that there is no death penalty for rape or kidnapping, but there is this old law that allows it for murder via causing someone else to have a miscarriage.

I understand that what these women experienced was the very opposite of choice, and that the idea of repeated impregnating and then beating and starving a young woman in order to cause her to miscarry is just horrific.

I don't think that this guy should ever see the light of see the light of day again, and wouldn't mourn if he died with his head in a prison toilet like Jeffrey Dahmer did.

And yet....I have to question this murder charge. There is a saying that hard cases make bad law, and this may be one of those situations. As much as this man is pure evil, do we really want to enforce an old law and have it on the record as a precedent in Ohio that you can get the death penalty for causing a miscarriage?

I question the murder charge, too. They have enough on him to keep him in prison for the rest of his life. And I'm sure prison justice would probably take care of him. The murder charge isn't necessary.

I think, though, the defense will probably try to use him pleading guilty to the lesser charges to get rid of the murder charges. The prosecution doesn't really have much to go on with the murder charges - it's all hearsay and there's no physical evidence a pregnancy even took place.

Archived