IGNORED

The Fundies Would Love These Ads

gibbsgirls

Really enjoyed that! Who knew husbands went running screaming from their wives' stinky lady parts? Hilarious!

While the ads for douches are gross, a lot of the wording is also a subtle reference to the use of douching with these cleaners as birth control. "Germ killing"=spermicide. Husbandly aversion = his fear of pregnancy.

When I was a kid circa 1960, ladies' magazines had ads for a vadge-suppository called Norforms, purported to be "quicker and easier than douching!" and a cure for "intimate marriage problems." I had no idea what douching was, and thought "intimate marriage problems" had to do with some form of mental illness.

Really enjoyed that! Who knew husbands went running screaming from their wives' stinky lady parts? Hilarious!

It was selling Lysol as a contraceptive douche. The killing strenght of it was aimed at sperm, not "germs"-- that was the understood subtext.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... ekey=51170 Didn't break the link...they won't care

. . .From 1930 until 1960, the most popular female contraceptive was Lysol disinfectant -- advertised as a feminine hygiene product in ads featuring testimonials from prominent European "doctors." Later investigation by the American Medical Association showed that these experts did not exist.

"The fraud of the Lysol douche was a byproduct of illegality," Tone says. "Because birth control couldn't be advertised openly, manufacturers would use euphemisms to refer to birth control. They took advantage of consumers' hopes."

You would think Lysol would end up hurting things up in there. Don't doctors say now that douching is bad for you?

You would think Lysol would end up hurting things up in there. Don't doctors say now that douching is bad for you?

Yup. A bit like guns being bad for you. What with the dying and all. :P

As far back as the '50s, our family ob-gyn said that there's no need for douching, as the vaginal canal is self-cleaning.

It was selling Lysol as a contraceptive douche. The killing strenght of it was aimed at sperm, not "germs"-- that was the understood subtext.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... ekey=51170 Didn't break the link...they won't care

. . .From 1930 until 1960, the most popular female contraceptive was Lysol disinfectant -- advertised as a feminine hygiene product in ads featuring testimonials from prominent European "doctors." Later investigation by the American Medical Association showed that these experts did not exist.

"The fraud of the Lysol douche was a byproduct of illegality," Tone says. "Because birth control couldn't be advertised openly, manufacturers would use euphemisms to refer to birth control. They took advantage of consumers' hopes."

One of the birthmothers in The Girls Who Went Away mentions her mother using a Lysol douche on her when she found out her daughter was pregnant. :(

I know they were a sign of the times, but some of those ads make me want to hit something. Hard.

Doh! Can't believe I didn't make the connection.

I only knew of douching with lysol because I watched Boardwalk Empire. Never knew they had ads about it until now.

It makes me sad to think of women using Lysol as a douche to "clean" themselves for their husbands or to use as birth control. It also makes me feel fortunate that we have so many methods of contraception right now - and hopefully we will continue to have those methods, despite the fundies who try to work against them.

They also used to use a shaken bottle of coca-cola as a contraceptive. Don't know if it was all effective -- but makes me think that soda may not be the healthiest thing to drink !

When I was 10 I read my parent's copy of "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Sex...But Were Afraid To Ask" ... made for some confusing and interesting tidbits of knowledge for a kid :shock:

When I was 10 I read my parent's copy of "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Sex...But Were Afraid To Ask" ... made for some confusing and interesting tidbits of knowledge for a kid :shock:

OMB...I read this book when I was about 10.. The section about people going to the ER with things in their tushy still haunts me. Why would you want a light bulb in your anus? Why? Oh..and the section about having sex with a woman on her period, at 10 all I could think about was GROSS!

I have a bunch of my mom's old movie magazines from the 40s and I've seen those Lysol ads before. There were also a lot of ads for deodorant/anti-persperant and feminine hygiene products. The brands were mostly familiar ones. The ads for deodorant mentioned charm and daintiness a lot as well as the fact that Arrid or Mum, for example, would not rot dresses. Women needed to be reminded that their daily bath was not enough to keep odor at bay. Many of the ads for pads and tampons stressed the importance of not being an absentee at the war plant on "those days" and offered a free informational booklet about menstruation. "The more women at work, the sooner we'll win the war"

I remember those ads for Norforms from the 60s. Never used them and they were probably displaced by, as Polly Bergen put it, "crotch deodorants" like Summer's Eve. Never used that either. I knew from reading Our Bodies, Ourselves that I didn't need them. Polly said this as well. They're still being made, btw.

I was just reading some stuff over at the Thermador website! I believe that's Richard Deacon in that ad. He was gay and a gourmet chef who wrote several cookbooks. You may know him better as Mel Cooley in the Dick Van Dyke Show or Lumpy Rutherford's dad Fred on Leave It to Beaver.

I drive a MINI and I'm a woman and I don't need no stinkin' automatic! It's a stick all the way for me, baby!

One of the birthmothers in The Girls Who Went Away mentions her mother using a Lysol douche on her when she found out her daughter was pregnant. :(

I know they were a sign of the times, but some of those ads make me want to hit something. Hard.

Yeah. My birth mother was one of the girls who (was sent) away ... and coerced into giving her child (me) up for adoption after exhausting all other possibilities. It took her 7 months after my birth to bring herself to sign the papers

sad

I bet it also caused LOTS of other issues, like cancer...

There's so much to learn here. I've never heard of Lysol douches before, and googled "health effects of lysol douche". That took me to a nurses forum where someone mentioned they didn't think anything could rival the "Lotus Birth" discussion.

Googling "Lotus Birth" took me to Birthsong Childbirth Education. Just. Wow. The things people will think up to do.

//onyx-ii.com/birthsong/page.cfm?lotus

When "feminine hygiene spray" was first introduced in the early '70s, I got a free sample in the mail. I found it useful as an armpit deodorant.

And which comedian announced the male equivalent, a spray called Umpire: "For foul balls!'

There's so much to learn here. I've never heard of Lysol douches before, and googled "health effects of lysol douche". That took me to a nurses forum where someone mentioned they didn't think anything could rival the "Lotus Birth" discussion.

Googling "Lotus Birth" took me to Birthsong Childbirth Education. Just. Wow. The things people will think up to do.

//onyx-ii.com/birthsong/page.cfm?lotus

I heard about Lotus birth back in the 80s when I was having babies. I thought it was crazy then. What type of placental mommy mammal doesn't chew off the cord? Why would anyone want to hang onto a slinky decaying placenta for a couple of weeks? UGH!! Major Yeccccch!

When "feminine hygiene spray" was first introduced in the early '70s, I got a free sample in the mail. I found it useful as an armpit deodorant.

And which comedian announced the male equivalent, a spray called Umpire: "For foul balls!'

OK, had to post this you tube (not good at imbedding them)

I have a bunch of my mom's old movie magazines from the 40s and I've seen those Lysol ads before. There were also a lot of ads for deodorant/anti-persperant and feminine hygiene products. The brands were mostly familiar ones. The ads for deodorant mentioned charm and daintiness a lot as well as the fact that Arrid or Mum, for example, would not rot dresses. Women needed to be reminded that their daily bath was not enough to keep odor at bay. Many of the ads for pads and tampons stressed the importance of not being an absentee at the war plant on "those days" and offered a free informational booklet about menstruation. "The more women at work, the sooner we'll win the war"

I remember those ads for Norforms from the 60s. Never used them and they were probably displaced by, as Polly Bergen put it, "crotch deodorants" like Summer's Eve. Never used that either. I knew from reading Our Bodies, Ourselves that I didn't need them. Polly said this as well. They're still being made, btw.

I was just reading some stuff over at the Thermador website! I believe that's Richard Deacon in that ad. He was gay and a gourmet chef who wrote several cookbooks. You may know him better as Mel Cooley in the Dick Van Dyke Show or Lumpy Rutherford's dad Fred on Leave It to Beaver.

I drive a MINI and I'm a woman and I don't need no stinkin' automatic! It's a stick all the way for me, baby!

Richard Deacon was also the emergency room shrink in the original "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers". His character was on the verge of having Kevin McCarthy measured for a straightjacket when a state trooper came bursting in to say that an overturned truck contained pods unlike anything he'd seen before. The movie ends with Deacon frantically dialing the FBI.

The men in those ads look pretty pissed off. What are they so mad about that they are stomping off to "the club" with snarls on their faces? It's not the wife's fault that she might get pregnant if they bone. Go buy some condoms asshole! Also - if your wife is stinky, why don't you run her a nice bath, or take her to the Dr. if it's that bad. No, it's much better to get mad and leave in a huff without telling her what you're upset about. :roll:

Archived