IGNORED

Watch out, Australia and New Zealand!!

Marian the Librarian

Scotty Brown of NCFIC fame is headed your way next week, with a series of (wait for it...) conferences! There is even a video message from a rather haggard-looking Geoff Botkin (who, mercifully, will not be making the trip) telling all those heathen down-under types to open wide their wallets and change their wicked ways (NCFIC.org).

My favorite moment o' text from the blog:

Please join me and learn more about this visit to the southern continent and the conferences in Australia and New Zealand.

Scotty dear: it's the southern hemisphere, in which Australia and New Zealand are countries. Make sure you get those adorable slaves interns to correct this little geographical faux pas.

Ooo. I might have to.go stalking me some fundie. I don't think he'll make it as far as this overblown mining town though. The only thing more frightening that Scotty & Co being here would be that parts of my extended family would want to go (and not for snarking purposes).

ETA: Why is he being hosted by several congregations who obviously make a big deal of their children's/young adult/clearly not family integrated services?

Geoff Botkin really is not looking well. His body "jerked" oddly several times too. I wonder if he's in the early stages of Parkinson's or some other disease.

The good thing about Australia is that this sort of stuff is advertised within the fundie community and the rest of us don't even hear about it usually. There will be a print ad or two somewhere buried in the newspaper, possibly a very early morning tv ad. In my experience, if you don't go actively looking for this stuff you don't see it.

For example, Hillsong owns a chain of (putrid) coffee shops here but a casual customer would have no idea about the religious connection at all. But I'm sure that Hillsong members will hunt down these shops in preference to others.

The good thing about Australia is that this sort of stuff is advertised within the fundie community and the rest of us don't even hear about it usually. There will be a print ad or two somewhere buried in the newspaper, possibly a very early morning tv ad. In my experience, if you don't go actively looking for this stuff you don't see it.

For example, Hillsong owns a chain of (putrid) coffee shops here but a casual customer would have no idea about the religious connection at all. But I'm sure that Hillsong members will hunt down these shops in preference to others.

This. But still :

Oh God.

Interesting. We had Prissy and her Prancing Pecan Pilferer earlier in the year, and now Scott Brown.

I'm tempted to go to one of his conferences if he comes to Sydney. He seems to be speaking at relatively mainstream churches, and I'd be interested to see how his message goes down. We are a much more secular society than the US.

They're only going to Christchurch and Auckland, both of which are too far for me to go. Otherwise I would have been there!

Archived