IGNORED

The Life of Pi.

OkToBeTakei

Watching this right now. I saw no topic about it. I loved the book.

My kid just adored this movie. So did I. I cried.

You're in good company - so did Barack and Malia. Reading the book and will watch the movie when finished.

Have had the book on my Kindle forever, I am ashamed to say. It's definitely in the queue to get read. I make it a point to never watch the movies unless I read the book first.

Well when you watch/read remind me to tell you of my total dumb as fuck moment :lol: Even my kid is still looking at me as if to say SERIOUSLY Mum? :lol:

• 3 months later...

I thought it was an okay book. I thought the first part and the discussion of religion was interesting, but actually got bored on the main half of him with the tiger.

I hated the book. I gave up on reading half-way through because I think life is too short to read books that you don't like if you don't have to. :whistle:

Add me to the hate list. It's like the Time Travelers Wife, which I detested. Every time I started it, I put it down and said it's got to be me. Glad I'm not the only one.

• 3 weeks later...

Liked the book a whole lot - kind of eh on the movie. It was really pretty and everyone did good work, but it wasn't amazing like I thought it would be. Still glad Lee won over Spielberg though, Lincoln really did not wow me.

I thought it was an absolutely beautiful movie, visually. I could definitely see why it picked up the Oscars. Where it lost me was the twist ending that seemed to invalidate the entire point of the movie. It just seemed as if the takeaway message of the movie was that the main character's faith was based upon a deliberately chosen self-delusion, which just made the story seem hollow and pointless to me. Maybe I missed something or I was feeling overly cynical when I watched it or something. I did watch it in the middle of my deconversion process, so that might have played a part.

• 4 weeks later...
I thought it was an absolutely beautiful movie, visually. I could definitely see why it picked up the Oscars. Where it lost me was the twist ending that seemed to invalidate the entire point of the movie. It just seemed as if the takeaway message of the movie was that the main character's faith was based upon a deliberately chosen self-delusion, which just made the story seem hollow and pointless to me. Maybe I missed something or I was feeling overly cynical when I watched it or something. I did watch it in the middle of my deconversion process, so that might have played a part.

The twist is in the book, too.

Archived